LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Grinding at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding at WOT

I posted this in the rear end section but apparently if it has nothing to do with a 9 inch or 12 bolt conversion you get no replies.

I get a pretty bad grinding at WOT. Car has either 373s or 343s in it, I cant tell but its not the stock gear.

Rear is whining and the posi is shot, so I know it needs a rebuild but dont know if the grinding is coming from the rear or transmission. Transmission shifts fine but I can feel the vibrations in the console with my arm.

Anybody have this before. I think there may be too much slack in the ring and pinion, I can turn the driveshaft about a 1/8-1/4 of an inch before the pinion hits the ring.

Anybody ever have an automatic grind? Basically Ive got an ss3600 ready to go in but dont want to put it in a hurt tranny. Tranny shifts fine though and shift hard. Im gonna replace the u joints this weekend even though they seemed fine when I checked them.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill bet its all coming from the rear/gears. Also check the u joints those grind when they go bad. See if you can find a used rear. It will be cheaper than having yours fixed.

Quick Reply: Grinding at WOT