LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LE2 Dyno results.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy's Sorry I havnt got the dyno sheets up like I said I would I had problems loading them on to the thread and havnt had time to make a photo bucket accout and load them up. Going to the track tonight after school. Ill post the times tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by METALBEAST

Both companies do great work. Period. End of discussion.

To the OP. Great numbers man! Hope to see some track times from you soon.
I really want to get some work done, get heads&cam from either of these guys. I have heard nothing but good stuff about them here.

-SS
Old 06-26-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Maye we need a poll.
Whos more full of ****:
SS RRR
or
wrd1972
I might be able to help you with this. Which way would you like it to go? I'm from Chicago and we know a thing or two about tilting the vote to your liking.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I might be able to help you with this. Which way would you like it to go? I'm from Chicago and we know a thing or two about tilting the vote to your liking.

Okay, I will be the average Joe just trying to contribute to discussion with the facts I have on hand.
The other guy can be the infallible & righteous bastard who cant post a thread with inflaming others or acting an ***. I doubt I will need the help on this one if you one bases the decision on past history and posts.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Perhaps 20 years ago I would've cared about a popularity contest, but I'll go ahead and declare you the winner. I hope that makes you feel better.
Nothing was said about AI/LE anything in this thread. That is on all of you. I have no AI parts on my car. I am a Lingenfelter fan or nutswinger or whatever you deem the best title.

It'll be interesting to see what the pool is about 5 more years down the road. A 9" will then net a 30rwhp loss, LT1's will be dynoing 500rwhp and running 13's...

To the OP- Great job on the dyno numbers. If you have a track and like to race then focus more on what improvements you can do ET wise and don't worry about reaching a 400rwhp mark on a dyno. If you don't have a track then I'm sorry.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't get what the big deal is that a ford 9" eats up a little more power than a 10 bolt

simply because he stated that the car might make 15+/- rwhp with a factory rear doesn't seem out of the question

car craft even had a decent article on a similar subject comparing an AOD backed motor with a 9" vs a Muncie 4 Speed backed motor with a 12 bolt. the AOD/9" car had around 36% average parastatic loss vs the M4/12 Bolt car that had around 18%. heavy duty rears and strong autos eat power
Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Fuel? IDK. What does it matter lol. I have them and got them for a killer price and they work great with my setup.
That's cool. Assuming you are staying w/in the proper duty cycle if tuned properly it is going to deliver the same amount of fuel regardless of injector size. The pulse width on a larger injector will be shorter than one that is smaller. That's about it.

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-26-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
That's cool. Assuming you are staying w/in the proper duty cycle if tuned properly it is going to deliver the same amount of fuel regardless of injector size. The pulse width on a larger injector be shorter than one that is smaller. That's about it.
from what I've heard from some of the super stock guys you will want the smallest injector you can get away with safely, but this is merely what I remember hearing
Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by myltwon
I don't get what the big deal is that a ford 9" eats up a little more power than a 10 bolt

simply because he stated that the car might make 15+/- rwhp with a factory rear doesn't seem out of the question

car craft even had a decent article on a similar subject comparing an AOD backed motor with a 9" vs a Muncie 4 Speed backed motor with a 12 bolt. the AOD/9" car had around 36% average parastatic loss vs the M4/12 Bolt car that had around 18%. heavy duty rears and strong autos eat power

Yep thats what I said. I believe that if I had the 10 bolt I would make 400RWHP on the dyno. With the heavy 9" ring and pinion and the Detroit Trutrac, I believe there is ~15RWHP of loss WRT my setup.

Its documented (with actual numbers) by others that they lost similar amounts of power when they went with the Dana 60 from the 10 bolt. And from what I have read here and elsewhere, the 9" robs more power than the Dana due to the lower pinion and greater tooth contact. And I am still erring on the low side and manage to get SS RRR's panties all wadded up.

Oh **** there I go with the facts and reasonable assumptions again.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by myltwon
from what I've heard from some of the super stock guys you will want the smallest injector you can get away with safely, but this is merely what I remember hearing
better spray pattern...and they only do it b/c the rules make them.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What some of you don't realize is that the subject of differential loss was covered a massive amount of times starting at least 10 years ago when the KTRE crooks actually put out a few 12-bolts, then Strange and then Moser's 9". Everyone who ever got one were just as curious about rwhp loss, would dyno their cars and all would come up with a 8 to 10rwhp loss. Because dynos seem to be far more hp friendly these days it's not surprising the numbers are becoming larger than from years past. Around 15 years ago MTI was putting together LT1 383 packages with the 306 cam and Gallant heads, making 420rwhp and 390 to 400tq turning 118 to 120mph traps in f-bodys weighing in the 3550 to 3650 range. Whatever floats your boat though, if it really is that much of a concern over what dyno numbers say then I am at the wrong party.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

this is LS1tech, people live and die by the dyno. anyone with a non-t56/10bolt setup is quick to explain their loss #'s because so many people use the numbers t56/10bolt drivetrains produce as a standard. I can't tell you how many times people would ask me what I dyno with my old cam only setup and tell me how low it was or simply be suprised that I was door-to-door with or pulled their cars that would make 25 or so more rwhp (I.E - T56 LS1s). it's the equivilent of telling people the temperature outside in celcius or telling the speed something is traveling in kph. no one (atleast not myself) is looking to add horsepower that is non existant, just converting it to a commonly accepted standard.

yes I know differential loss is no where near a new topic, just using a current and relevant article for a point of reference
Old 06-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Not surprised in the direction this thread went - called it from page one

LT1's will be dynoing 500rwhp and running 13's...
Like Supra's
Old 06-26-2009, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Not surprised in the direction this thread went - called it from page one

Like Supra's
Atleast Supras back up their dyno #'s. Over the last couple of years there have been a bunch of cars that dyno'd 400+rwhp then only trap <115 at the track.

To the OP Good luck at the track.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KTRE crooks
Now there is a name we haven't heard of in a while. I doubt that many people even know about Kenny Thomas. Think it was earlier than 10 years ago, I think I put my Strange in by that time.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rob
Now there is a name we haven't heard of in a while. I doubt that many people even know about Kenny Thomas. Think it was earlier than 10 years ago, I think I put my Strange in by that time.
My buddy has not so kind words to say about his KTRE 12 bolt and Art Carr 4L60, well all nine of his Art Carr 4L60's...

... I'd be willing to hear the story on Kenny Thomas...

-Dustin-
Old 06-28-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Atleast Supras back up their dyno #'s. Over the last couple of years there have been a bunch of cars that dyno'd 400+rwhp then only trap <115 at the track.

To the OP Good luck at the track.
Supras are famous for big dyno numbers and horrible ETs. I guess that happens when your dyno graph looks like _______/\ . If I had 700rwhp and was stuck in the 11s I'd focus on dyno numbers too though .

In the LTX case besides just happy dyno's I think a lot of cars are just set up poorly. Too many people don't get the right supporting mods or are brainwashed into the "stock is good enough for 10's" mindset. They through together their 425rwhp car and then run with full stock suspension and street tires while babying their 10bolt...then end up with worst times then a bolt-on LTX with slicks, full suspension, and a 12bolt would run.

It is a shame though that so many shops put out inflated dyno numbers to make their parts/labor/tuning look better. It happens all the time with crotch rocket shops too - my bike curiously dyno'd only one single hp more after a race filter, full exhaust, and a tune then it did with just a muffler when it should have been an easy 10-15hp more . The first dyno was very happy, to the tune of 10%(!!), and the second more reputable shop's dyno was probably right on the money.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Village Troll

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rob
Think it was earlier than 10 years ago, I think I put my Strange in by that time.
I had my Strange by May of 2000. I know of one individual while living in DFW who had a KTRE before I had ordered my strange sometime before April of the same year.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my Strange by May of 2000. I know of one individual while living in DFW who had a KTRE before I had ordered my strange sometime before April of the same year.
The downfall of KTRE was the group purchase on the f-body list. We had quite a few that ordered and paid, only a few of them received the rear. Even after all that, Hi-Tech still ran articles on them. So he took even more money from people after that.

I want to say I bought my Strange in '99 but it could have been in '00. I sold it in '01 before I sold the car. The stock rear is in there now.

Quick Reply: LE2 Dyno results.