LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hid headlight kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Hey if I end up not liking them I can always change the bulbs! No ones arguing here, seems that me and another guy were getting **** slung at us for getting the 10k. I was originally going to get 6k but my friend said get the 10's. They are still more than double the lumen output of a halogen, just not triple(oh no).
Moving on...
Its all good
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95LT1_white
glare city?? what are you talking about?! and I dont like just the "white" color, like having a little blueish color but hey man, thanks!!!

Glare, is the amount of light that is bled over/no controlled/thrown everywhere. You throw a 2000 lumen (what 10K bulbs are at for lumen output, not 3200ish the 4-6K bulbs are) bulb in a light housing designed for something that takes half that amount, couple it with a different light source and you get glare. Look at your pics. Glare is plain as day in them. That's what pisses other driver's off.

here's what a controlled light source looks like. Notice how looking at the picture doesn't hurt your eyes. Those are 5K BTW. The cutoff shield makes them appear more blue. Granted they are HID bulbs in a h9 halogen housing, you'll note very very little glare. Mainly because the H9 already puts out 2500 lumens, so the HID is only throwing out an additional 700 lumens

Last edited by buffman; 08-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
Glare, is the amount of light that is bled over/no controlled/thrown everywhere. You throw a 2000 lumen (what 10K bulbs are at for lumen output, not 3200ish the 4-6K bulbs are) bulb in a light housing designed for something that takes half that amount, couple it with a different light source and you get glare. Look at your pics. Glare is plain as day in them. That's what pisses other driver's off.

here's what a controlled light source looks like. Notice how looking at the picture doesn't hurt your eyes. Those are 5K BTW. The cutoff shield makes them appear more blue. Granted they are HID bulbs in a h9 halogen housing, you'll note very very little glare. Mainly because the H9 already puts out 2500 lumens, so the HID is only throwing out an additional 700 lumens
Are you saying that NO HID should be put in a stock LT1 housing?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Are you saying that NO HID should be put in a stock LT1 housing?
Basically yes he is. Hes saying that the light isn't controlled and will blind drivers you meet, but for us camaro guys we don't have many options. We could put round projectors where our rectangle lights are, but it looks like **** IMO, I'll have a scattered light pattern and HIDs so I can actually see where I'm going before I will throw in some shitty looking projectors.

Just my opinion though, I'll get some pics of mine tonight, it doesn't look like rain right now
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Basically yes he is. Hes saying that the light isn't controlled and will blind drivers you meet, but for us camaro guys we don't have many options. We could put round projectors where our rectangle lights are, but it looks like **** IMO, I'll have a scattered light pattern and HIDs so I can actually see where I'm going before I will throw in some shitty looking projectors.

Just my opinion though, I'll get some pics of mine tonight, it doesn't look like rain right now
I'm just worried about being stopped by the cops. If it's blinding the hell out of people, they will use it as an excuse to pull me over. Then things just get bad from there.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

What Turn said. HIDs were never meant to be installed in housings they weren't designed for. However as you know the aftermarket community always finds a way to do something, and they were able to attach HID bulbs onto standard halogen bases, copy ballast designs, and then sell the retrofit kits you see today. from a DOT standpoint it's illegal. If you aim them down, you shouldn't have much of an issue. I'm not an advocate for or against doing it, as in some cases (camaros) there aren't a lot of options. I put HIDs in my 92 legacy because the H4 bulbs suck major ***. I bought a low/hi kit that had an additional shroud that helps, but they still glare. I spoiled myself driving my RMS around because on high I had 11000 lumens
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can't decide between 4500K and 5000K now. It's nice to know you can do this though, thanks everyone.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM

yeah I put 10k and I think they are a hell of a lot brighter... dunno about you but I personally like driving down the road and if ahead coming my direction I see blue blinding lights my first impression is "damn whats that?!?" haha but yeah didn't mean to start the fit but kinda got **** slung at me cause I left LUMENS on the table... damn lumens!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Default clean...

Originally Posted by buffman

actually looks really clean but i persoally like it being thrown left,right,up, and down lol makes it when people are driving toward you it turns heads hahaha! sorry for the WTF?! just was confused...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4300k is the brightest and whitest light. Lower numbers are yellow and higher numbers go from blue to purple and put out less light.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 95LT1_white
yeah I put 10k and I think they are a hell of a lot brighter... dunno about you but I personally like driving down the road and if ahead coming my direction I see blue blinding lights my first impression is "damn whats that?!?" haha but yeah didn't mean to start the fit but kinda got **** slung at me cause I left LUMENS on the table... damn lumens!
I'm just saying that I have seen them in person and I honestly think that the 6k+ just look like **** and the blue in them makes them look brighter when you meet them at night compared to the white HIDs. My buddy has 6k fogs on his truck and they are bright but too blue IMO.

But from what I have heard HIDs aren't illegal, but their not legal either. I heard thats its up to the officers descretion wheather or not they are too bright. I was driving home one night and met a cop, he turned around and followed me all the way back to my driveway (about 7 miles from where I met him) and then kept on going. It sucked taking off and not being loud, I was just waiting for the lights to come on and the list of tickets to start coming. Lucky that time
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay what EXACTLY is needed to do this.
Do i need a kit or just bulbs. Do i need new housings or can i mod my existing ones.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1C3 MAN
Okay what EXACTLY is needed to do this.
Do i need a kit or just bulbs. Do i need new housings or can i mod my existing ones.
All of those questions are answered in this thread.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Hmm I like this idea but the ones in the linked write up those are H9's right.

Looks like they would be the best bet instead of going HID as someone commented its only a 700 gain? 2500 over the 1300 was it stock H4 sounds like the perfect gain.

Here in tucson where they tend to get bored I would say it sounds like a 6k is the best bet. Not the brightest but not to much of a color change.

Quick Reply: hid headlight kit