LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

buying a highmileage lt1. what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a highmileage lt1. what to look for?

im looking to buy a firebird formula with 168000 mile and im wondering what to look for. ive already went to look at the car once and everything ran extremely good, i almost want to say perfectly but im still a little nervous with the high milage. does anyone have some tips on what to look for?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nickkkk
im looking to buy a firebird formula with 168000 mile and im wondering what to look for. ive already went to look at the car once and everything ran extremely good, i almost want to say perfectly but im still a little nervous with the high milage. does anyone have some tips on what to look for?
Look for the usual leaks (rear main, front seal, rear of the intake, etc).
If taken care of, LT1's can hold up very well. If you buy it, I'd perform a compression and leak down test to determine the health of the engine.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Headlight motors and power window motors are notorious for failing on these cars. Not that big of an issue but still something to consider. Good luck with the purchase
Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Ball joints, tie rod ends, driveshaft u joints, and tire wear patterns to start with. I would also chk tranny and engine oil to see if it looks like it had regular changing or smells burnt, and see if the rear end leaks. Those things can tell alot of how the car has been maintained. Also chk drivers door sag to see if it closes nice or not, if not that may idicate a thrashed car, and last get a carfax report for damages and inspection problems. That should help keep surprizes to a min.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

Ball joints, tie rod ends, driveshaft u joints, and tire wear patterns to start with. I would also chk tranny and engine oil to see if it looks like it had regular changing or smells burnt, and see if the rear end leaks. Those things can tell alot of how the car has been maintained. Also chk drivers door sag to see if it closes nice or not, if not that may idicate a thrashed car, and last get a carfax report for damages and inspection problems. That should help keep surprizes to a min.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
I had 5 3rd Gens and the doors saged on almost all of them but i have never seen a fiberglass door and a 4th Gen sag ever....maybe its just me tho
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Take the oil fill cap off and look inside. If there is a buildup of sludge then the rest of the engine is the same way.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

djjab57
"I had 5 3rd Gens and the doors saged on almost all of them but i have never seen a fiberglass door and a 4th Gen sag ever....maybe its just me tho"

I am refering more to wreck damage than the worn out door bushing problem the heavy *** doors the 2nd and 3rd gen cars have.
If the car has been on an embankment (floods or crashes) or the chassis tweeked from being rear ended and then repaired.
You might be amazed at what some shops can cover up to get it sold.

Just things to look for, thats all.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for "motor milk". LT1 are known for head gaskets issues. Replacing a head gasket is a PITA and if a shop does it the book says 14 hours.

I bought a Z with a spent head gasket and took it as an oppurtunity to replace everything new for under 2K. The old engine ended up perfect so I will freshen that up and sell it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

"what to look for" if I was in the market I would look for a different car, perhaps an ls. They are getting pretty reasonable now that they are getting a little older. I know there are a lot of guys who love these lt based engines but aside from sentimental value they are a pain in the nuts. The tuning options are limited, they don't respond as well to mods, oh yeah and what is the one thing that is on the tip of everyone's tounge... oh yeah OPTI. Don't get me wrong I love mine to death but if I were to do it again knowing what I know now...LS1 all the way
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for tranmission, car is 134k miles, my fail after just 1k miles. !!!

Quick Reply: buying a highmileage lt1. what to look for?