LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Max power 383 which head AFR 210 eliminator or AI TFS 215?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009 | 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

He didn't snap at all. He was being straight forward and set FASTFATBOY straight on a lot of things.
Old 07-08-2009 | 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I think Going fast depends on how deep your pockets are. I think instead of comparing dyno sheets and flow numbers we should compare dollars spent per HP
Old 07-08-2009 | 12:56 PM
Launching!

Basically like i and the guy from AI said, its lack of research. You cannot go around acting as if you know everything when you have not at least tried your best researching.

Back to the LS1 Results! page on AI's website, there are 3 track times for the street cars.

"On its initial outing, inlet restricted to 450rwhp, this full weight M6 car with full accessories (A/C, Power Steering, stereo, subs, etc.) went 11.3X's @ 123.5in street trim." this car has 480rwhp/419rwtq but notice it was limited to 450.

"This is a full weight street car with 3665lb Raceweight!. With Steve's great tuning & driving ability he's run bests of 7.451 @ 94.45mph in the 1/8th and 11.528 @ 125.31mph in good air. This is a gain of .8 seconds, 9mph, and 50hp+ over his previous best with the same shortblock & car using a competitors ported 205cc LT1 topend!" He uses 190cc

"With a GM stock lt1 shortblock (NOT a rebuilt "stock 350"), the 190cc CNC LT1's and one of our small mild daily driver HR cams not only has Dwayne run 11.95 at 113mph" 96capriceMGR's Record Setting 4200lb B-Body!
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Phil, AGAIN you are comparing a streetcar(mine) to Abares full on racecar. I will say it again, take him off the track and put him on the street in the same trim and watch what happens. He cant follow me at 75 mph on the interstate for an hour and a half like I have done MANY times. Sit him in 100* heat in traffic for a couple of hours. We both know whats up here. Abares car is fast no doubt, but stop portraying it as a streetcar, because it isnt.

As far as a comparison, lets see.... I am on factory electronics, optispark is on the car, on a street radial, small lockup converter, small solid roller,full intake system with filter in the car, full interior, overdrive and 3600lbs. Full exhaust all the way to the rear bumper without a cutout, Sounds like a streetcar. Care to say what Abare has in those departments?

As far as Aleks, I believe is best pass was done in March up north so the DA wasnt that far apart. His car was gutted awaiting a roll cage when those passes were made. Besides I make 60 LESS rwhp and weigh 300 lbs more??? I ET better than him I understand, Mine is more sorted, but the mph?His weight and MPH indicate a 450rwhp car. Not a 500rwhp car.

I ran 124 in the heat. My tune hasnt been tweaked AT ALL since it was on Eds dyno and it had two wounded pistons when it was tuned.

As far as my setup, Mine would go alot quicker if I had:

Bigger non lockup converter
Bigger cam
Aftermarket engine management
no exhaust(uncapped)
No intake(open throttlebody)
Slicks
more gear
300lbs lighter
Thin oil in engine and rear end
Lighweight rotating assmembly

Kinda like Abares car. But then I wouldnt have a streetcar now would I? I applaud what Abare has done, it is a feat unto itself FOR SURE, but its a racecar.

SO Phil, I will again applaud your acheivments. You have made the LT1 world a better place for sure. But call a racecar a racecar.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-08-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Amen
Old 07-08-2009 | 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Phil, AGAIN you are comparing a streetcar(mine) to Abares full on racecar. I will say it again, take him off the track and put him on the street in the same trim and watch what happens. He cant follow me at 75 mph on the interstate for an hour and a half like I have done MANY times. Sit him in 100* heat in traffic for a couple of hours. We both know whats up here. Abares car is fast no doubt, but stop portraying it as a streetcar, because it isnt.

As far as a comparison, lets see.... I am on factory electronics, optispark is on the car, on a street radial, small lockup converter, small solid roller,full intake system with filter in the car, full interior, overdrive and 3600lbs. Full exhaust all the way to the rear bumper without a cutout, Sounds like a streetcar. Care to say what Abare has in those departments?

As far as Aleks, I believe is best pass was done in March up north so the DA wasnt that far apart. His car was gutted awaiting a roll cage when those passes were made. Besides I make 60 LESS rwhp and weigh 300 lbs more??? I ET better than him I understand, Mine is more sorted, but the mph?His weight and MPH indicate a 450rwhp car. Not a 500rwhp car.

I ran 124 in the heat. My tune hasnt been tweaked AT ALL since it was on Eds dyno and it had two wounded pistons when it was tuned.

As far as my setup, Mine would go alot quicker if I had:

Bigger non lockup converter
Bigger cam
Aftermarket engine management
no exhaust(uncapped)
No intake(open throttlebody)
Slicks
more gear
300lbs lighter
Thin oil in engine and rear end
Lighweight rotating assmembly

Kinda like Abares car. But then I wouldnt have a streetcar now would I? I applaud what Abare has done, it is a feat unto itself FOR SURE, but its a racecar.

SO Phil, I will again applaud your acheivments. You have made the LT1 world a better place for sure. But call a racecar a racecar.

He already state all of that in a previous thread when you threw up a bunch of excuses, then linked it again in his post in this thread which you obviously didn't read. Same transmission, same size cam, ect... So what exactly makes your car less of a race car than Rick's? Also since you keep saying Phil is trying to pass it off as a "street car" can you provide some links?

Just out of curiosity how would a half filled block and another point of compression run cooler? I wouldn't exactly call your car a street car either.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10980685-post62.html
Old 07-08-2009 | 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A car with slicks and wheelie bars is not a street car.
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Old 07-08-2009 | 04:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
He already state all of that in a previous thread when you threw up a bunch of excuses, then linked it again in his post in this thread which you obviously didn't read. Same transmission, same size cam, ect... So what exactly makes your car less of a race car than Rick's? Also since you keep saying Phil is trying to pass it off as a "street car" can you provide some links?

Just out of curiosity how would a half filled block and another point of compression run cooler? I wouldn't exactly call your car a street car either.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10980685-post62.html

WHat the hell does my compression and block have to do with anything, mine sits in traffic with 100* temps down here and sits on 180*. Because I got the cooling system to run that IN A STREETCAR. I am thinking about putting the A/C back on.

Again, you think you know Abares car, take that car on a 90 mile interstate trip JUST LIKE ITS RACED and show me.

BTW dont get a ticket with the wheelie bars, slicks and open exhaust LMAO.

Phil has made references on here and Speedtalk as to Abares cars "streetability".

Hey I'm just sayin'

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:30 PM
10 Year Member20 Year Member

David, stop. Think. You keep comparing apples to oranges with this statement by taking dyno numbers as "face value" of track mph. Auto's ALWAYS READ lower numbers than a M6 in the same car. You have a stroker with an auto/converter. Aleks has a 355 with a M6. Yet you still continue to fight tooth and nail the track "mph" between you two based on the dyno number!

If you put a M6 in your car, you too would dyno 500rwhp. No one is saying that your motor isn't working well It is. BUT, stop saying that someone else ISNT making xxx rwhp because you run a similar mph at the track with "450rwhp". A dyno number is just a reading. And in an AUTO/converter car, that dyno number is not going to be as accurate as an M6. However, that doesn't mean your flywheel hp isn't up there.....hence why the auto's usually run better numbers at the track.

A friend of mine a few years ago dynoed 440rwhp on his blower/stroker combo.....yet he trapped 134mph at the track. If you put an M6 in the car, it probably would have dynoed 620rwhp.

You have a great street car there But, you can't formulate an argument on track mph based on the dyno numbers of two TOTALLY different transmission setups.

Jason
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonShort
You'd hope alot better than that! One of the biggest reasons why there are a TON of underperforming 383/396 LT1's is because the majority of people just "throw" together a motor by following other underperforming builds. These builds are composed of a bunch of poorly thought out parts/tuning. This then becomes the "norm" for people to shoot for....hence 75% of the strokers out there put down dyno/track numbers that are a joke.

People should expect more, and that comes by educating them. I see alot of guys building motors after people who have poor results. The only way you are going to build a motor that is "up to par" with where it should be is to model your build after the guys who ALREADY have a well performing engine. Stop listening to everyone talk on the internet. Search out a few guys who have engines that actually perform and talk to THEM ONLY for your build advice.

Don't even waste your time and money building a LT1 stroker unless your expectation is around 440rwhp or more. This is not hard. If you only want 400rwhp, do heads/cam.

Thanks for the info, who would be the guys to talk to here on LS1tech to learn info about building a good performing LT1 Stroker?
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:46 PM
10 Year Member20 Year Member

There are a few guys on here that would be great sources of information. Now that you have read some of this discussion, what are your objectives specifically? The first place to start is knowing your honest budget (which anyone who has been through it will tell you wisely that it will always come in OVER budget to some degree) and what power goals do you have.

From there, you can start choosing the parts/vendors and engine builder. If you would like my opinion, drop me a PM. I would always recommend searching out the guys here who have strong running combo's.

Thanks, Jason
Old 07-08-2009 | 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
all i can say is that A.I SNAPPED holy crap, wow but most of its true.
I don't snap at guys on the internet. It only appears impressive because there were so many inaccurate statements to refute. Ten minutes of typing, twenty to figure out how to format it so it is coherent. It is all true, but don't take anyone's word for it, dig up the numbers for yourselves.

Originally Posted by buzz12586
A car with slicks and wheelie bars is not a street car.
They are not wheelie bars in the "real race car" sense. They do not attach to the rear end/suspension and keep the car from expending energy while raising the front end. They attach to the body and function essentially as training wheels. They are a safety item, to keep the car going straight while still allowing it to pull 70ft wheelstands. The car runs the same numbers with the shocks set to keep it off of the bumper, but garners less attention. If we bolt slicks to a stock 2010 camaro does it then become a race car, or is it simply a car that is raced? Quite the philosophical quandary.

WHat the hell does my compression and block have to do with anything, mine sits in traffic with 100* temps down here and sits on 180*. Because I got the cooling system to run that IN A STREETCAR. I am thinking about putting the A/C back on.

Again, you think you know Abares car, take that car on a 90 mile interstate trip JUST LIKE ITS RACED and show me.

BTW dont get a ticket with the wheelie bars, slicks and open exhaust LMAO.

Phil has made references on here and Speedtalk as to Abares cars "streetability".

Hey I'm just sayin'
David, as I have said before, and I will say again - I personally view Rick's car as a race car. However, I personally see your car as a race car as well. Any vehicle that is unsafe to ride in without a helmet and harnesses due to steel bars located in the immediate vicinity of your head is not a "true street car" in my opinion. You don't have A/C? In your "street car?" It is subjective and I have neither the time, nor the inclination to debate something so irrelevant. I hope that makes you feel better. Rather than going wild like Pavlov's pups by repeatedly barking "race car" when someone rings the Abare bell, you can simply link this post where I said it myself.

What I absolutely do take exception to is your attempting to denigrate the hard work of people who's accomplishments trigger some outrageous emotional response from you. It is made worse by your tendency to continually repeat incorrect, and typically refuted, statements. Take the time and read the link I posted, that speeddemon quoted. I took the time to politely address each and every one of your critiques and concerns & won't type them again.

The engine in Rick's car is a Street/Strip setup. You have posted countless times that your car drives well. Imagine how the same sized cam would drive with 35cc less cylinder head and a street oriented manifold - that is what Rick is running. You have posted countless times that you have no cooling issues at nearly 13:1 compression. Our 383 is 11.7:1 and with any normal stock or aftermarket cooling system it will run indefinitely until it requires fuel or lash adjustment. In a car that is very similar to many other strip oriented street cars, with bolt-on stock replacement suspension etc, it runs mid 9's at over 140 on pump fuel in 1-2k ft DA.

Those are the facts. If they are somehow offensive to your sensibilities, then I apologize. It is not my intention to come after you or insult you, your car, etc. However, if you attempt to pick apart our customer's achievements, you'd better have your facts straight.
Old 07-08-2009 | 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
Basically like i and the guy from AI said, its lack of research. You cannot go around acting as if you know everything when you have not at least tried your best researching.

Back to the LS1 Results! page on AI's website, there are 3 track times for the street cars.

"On its initial outing, inlet restricted to 450rwhp, this full weight M6 car with full accessories (A/C, Power Steering, stereo, subs, etc.) went 11.3X's @ 123.5in street trim." this car has 480rwhp/419rwtq but notice it was limited to 450.

"This is a full weight street car with 3665lb Raceweight!. With Steve's great tuning & driving ability he's run bests of 7.451 @ 94.45mph in the 1/8th and 11.528 @ 125.31mph in good air. This is a gain of .8 seconds, 9mph, and 50hp+ over his previous best with the same shortblock & car using a competitors ported 205cc LT1 topend!" He uses 190cc

"With a GM stock lt1 shortblock (NOT a rebuilt "stock 350"), the 190cc CNC LT1's and one of our small mild daily driver HR cams not only has Dwayne run 11.95 at 113mph" 96capriceMGR's Record Setting 4200lb B-Body!

Look again and you'll find this one as well..."Russ Ethridge has managed 444rwhp & 397rwtq STD (425/376 SAE) with a budget 355 rebuild, stock intake, one of our HR grinds, Fully ported LT1 castings, through full exhaust, and a Moser 12-bolt rear end on 92 octane pump fuel. The car is approximately 100lb lighter than full weight (No AC). We're pretty pleased, as this was done with a topend ignition miss (see dyno sheet). In this configuration the car's managed 7.20's @ 96mph in the 1/8th and 11.40's @ 120mph in the quarter"

Not too bad for the car's one outting to the track with a new motor, new suspension and on a different tire than had been ever run on the car before. Nevermind the opti blowing apart! Still not shabby, I managed those time nearly 6years ago. Those were the days...

As far as Aleks, I believe is best pass was done in March up north so the DA wasnt that far apart.
I know the car went 10.8/128 at Rockingham, NC in shitty weather in a bad headwind. I know beacause I ran my car there the same day, and I was down nearly 3 mph vs the week before.
Old 07-08-2009 | 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JasonShort
David, stop. Think. You keep comparing apples to oranges with this statement by taking dyno numbers as "face value" of track mph. Auto's ALWAYS READ lower numbers than a M6 in the same car. You have a stroker with an auto/converter. Aleks has a 355 with a M6. Yet you still continue to fight tooth and nail the track "mph" between you two based on the dyno number!

If you put a M6 in your car, you too would dyno 500rwhp. No one is saying that your motor isn't working well It is. BUT, stop saying that someone else ISNT making xxx rwhp because you run a similar mph at the track with "450rwhp". A dyno number is just a reading. And in an AUTO/converter car, that dyno number is not going to be as accurate as an M6. However, that doesn't mean your flywheel hp isn't up there.....hence why the auto's usually run better numbers at the track.

A friend of mine a few years ago dynoed 440rwhp on his blower/stroker combo.....yet he trapped 134mph at the track. If you put an M6 in the car, it probably would have dynoed 620rwhp.

You have a great street car there But, you can't formulate an argument on track mph based on the dyno numbers of two TOTALLY different transmission setups.

Jason
Rwhp is rwhp, weight is weight.....the only variable here is DA at the track. X RWHP pushing X weight should produce X mph trap speed no matter the transmission. The auto trans may get it to the stripe quicker but MPH the same as the stick same rwhp, same weight same DA.

My car mph's like a typical 450rwhp 3600lb car should. If I put a stick in my car ET would suffer but MPH trap speed would most likely go to the 130's. Like a 500rwhp 3600lb car should mph. 10 rwhp= 1 mph typically.

And thanks for the kudo's Jason. To me its ALOT harder making a reliable streetcar run a number than a full on racecar. Was alot of work to get it there.
Old 07-08-2009 | 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

You can't compare RWHP numbers. They are useless with all the different possible drivetrain configurations. Do you see anyone besides internet speed gurus talking about RWHP? No. They talk straight horsepower.
Old 07-08-2009 | 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
I don't snap at guys on the internet. It only appears impressive because there were so many inaccurate statements to refute. Ten minutes of typing, twenty to figure out how to format it so it is coherent. It is all true, but don't take anyone's word for it, dig up the numbers for yourselves.

They are not wheelie bars in the "real race car" sense. They do not attach to the rear end/suspension and keep the car from expending energy while raising the front end. They attach to the body and function essentially as training wheels. They are a safety item, to keep the car going straight while still allowing it to pull 70ft wheelstands. The car runs the same numbers with the shocks set to keep it off of the bumper, but garners less attention. If we bolt slicks to a stock 2010 camaro does it then become a race car, or is it simply a car that is raced? Quite the philosophical quandary.

David, as I have said before, and I will say again - I personally view Rick's car as a race car. However, I personally see your car as a race car as well. Any vehicle that is unsafe to ride in without a helmet and harnesses due to steel bars located in the immediate vicinity of your head is not a "true street car" in my opinion. You don't have A/C? In your "street car?" It is subjective and I have neither the time, nor the inclination to debate something so irrelevant. I hope that makes you feel better. Rather than going wild like Pavlov's pups by repeatedly barking "race car" when someone rings the Abare bell, you can simply link this post where I said it myself.

What I absolutely do take exception to is your attempting to denigrate the hard work of people who's accomplishments trigger some outrageous emotional response from you. It is made worse by your tendency to continually repeat incorrect, and typically refuted, statements. Take the time and read the link I posted, that speeddemon quoted. I took the time to politely address each and every one of your critiques and concerns & won't type them again.

The engine in Rick's car is a Street/Strip setup. You have posted countless times that your car drives well. Imagine how the same sized cam would drive with 35cc less cylinder head and a street oriented manifold - that is what Rick is running. You have posted countless times that you have no cooling issues at nearly 13:1 compression. Our 383 is 11.7:1 and with any normal stock or aftermarket cooling system it will run indefinitely until it requires fuel or lash adjustment. In a car that is very similar to many other strip oriented street cars, with bolt-on stock replacement suspension etc, it runs mid 9's at over 140 on pump fuel in 1-2k ft DA.

Those are the facts. If they are somehow offensive to your sensibilities, then I apologize. It is not my intention to come after you or insult you, your car, etc. However, if you attempt to pick apart our customer's achievements, you'd better have your facts straight.
I have had NOTHING but praise for Abares car, I attribute its its success to the owner PERIOD, He is the one who put the time in to maximize his combination. And would have been fast in any car with any engine combination.

The problem I have is people posting links as it is a pumpgas streetcar. And you referring to its "streetability" as if to "imply" that its a streetcar. The engine is only PART of having a reliable streetcar. Again, put it up on the interstate behind my car in 100* heat running 75 mph for an hour and a half, put it in traffic for the same amount of time in the same heat. JUST LIKE ITS RACED. No fluid changes nothing.

The ONLY and I mean THE only determining factor if you have a "streetcar" or not is if you can drive it, on the street, in the heat for HOURS at a time. On the interstate, in traffic doesnt matter. You can have a Brad Anderson hemi under the hood, a Bruno, 20 gallon fuel cell full of alcohol. If it drives and cruises in those conditions above, its a streetcar.

Again, you fail to see. I have no problem with you or Rick's car. I think your company is a pioneer in the LT1 field and has made our underdog a player.

And yes my car does drive well, I built it that way. Its a streetcar, moderate cam, small converter, moderate gears. The potential is there for my car to make a good bit more power, but I will not sacrifice its street manners for it.
Old 07-08-2009 | 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Rwhp is rwhp, weight is weight.....the only variable here is DA at the track. X RWHP pushing X weight should produce X mph trap speed no matter the transmission. The auto trans may get it to the stripe quicker but MPH the same as the stick same rwhp, same weight same DA.

My car mph's like a typical 450rwhp 3600lb car should. If I put a stick in my car ET would suffer but MPH trap speed would most likely go to the 130's. Like a 500rwhp 3600lb car should mph. 10 rwhp= 1 mph typically.

And thanks for the kudo's Jason. To me its ALOT harder making a reliable streetcar run a number than a full on racecar. Was alot of work to get it there.
Still waiting to hear what makes your care less of a race car than Rick's. You are both running the same size cam, same cubes, you have bigger heads and a bigger intake manifold, both running 4l60e's, you're running more compression, you have a half filled block, you both have cages, ect. I'm not seeing any big differences here.
Old 07-08-2009 | 07:17 PM
Banned

I'm still at a loss as to how a car that has the same size motor, extremely similar sized cams, same transmission and same rear gear is a race car and the other is not? Rick's car doesnt have block filler or run a tubbed rearend either, so tell me...Who has the real race car here? And whats with the "no fluid changes" crap? Rick's car is a bracket car, not some heads up car where he needs those last 2 or 3 hp. Hell, he's got the car dialed back to keep it more consistant because of its ultra violent launches!

Rick's is a race car primarily because it has stickers for contingency and it is raced. That it is actually fast and runs what it oughta is the biggest difference between Rick's and Fatboy's cars.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well as the OP let me say a few things, I thought I clarified things in an earlier post but when I say max hp na street strip daily driver full weight full accesories buildup. I am realistic with myself I am looking for 440 - 480 rwhp with a streetable hydralic roller cam and valvetrain. I know how much it cost to go fast, I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe with a fully built 383 splayed billet cap all forged 10.3:1 scr AFR 220 headed Super victor and Procharged enginge that made 815 hp on the engine dyno has a TKO600 and 9" rear. My other car (which is under construction) is a 2000 Z24 Cavalier with a custom built 2.4 Quad4 engine with custom billet main caps ported 086 head which flows 300cfm @ .400 lift 224/.430 cams a 62-1/t4 turbo etc so I'm no newbie to this game. I didn't ask for the best "RACE SETUP" I asked which head made the most rwhp/rwtq between the AFR 210 eliminator and the Ai TFS 215 in a max effort street/strip car.
And after reading everything I have decided to try the Ai TFS 21* heads and once I have the engine in the car I will report the results. By the way the rest of the combo is a S60 rear, SLP weld in sfc, Spohn TA, long tubes and 3" true duals over the axle, a built T56 (undetermined builder yet) etc etc etc.

Last edited by 97Z28SS; 07-08-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Max power 383 which head AFR 210 eliminator or AI TFS 215?