LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Max power 383 which head AFR 210 eliminator or AI TFS 215?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009 | 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Well as the OP let me say a few things, I thought I clarified things in an earlier post but when I say max hp na street strip daily driver full weight full accesories buildup. I am realistic with myself I am looking for 440 - 480 rwhp with a streetable hydralic roller cam and valvetrain. I know how much it cost to go fast, I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe with a fully built 383 splayed billet cap all forged 10.3:1 scr AFR 220 headed Super victor and Procharged enginge that made 815 hp on the engine dyno has a TKO600 and 9" rear. My other car (which is under construction) is a 2000 Z24 Cavalier with a custom built 2.4 Quad4 engine with custom billet main caps ported 086 head which flows 300cfm @ .400 lift 224/.430 cams a 62-1/t4 turbo etc so I'm no newbie to this game. I didn't ask for the best "RACE SETUP" I asked which head made the most rwhp/rwtq between the AFR 210 eliminator and the Ai TFS 215 in a max effort street/strip car.
And after reading everything I have decided to try the Ai TFS 21* heads and once I have the engine in the car I will report the results. By the way the rest of the combo is a S60 rear, SLP weld in sfc, Spohn TA, long tubes and 3" true duals over the axle, a built T56 (undetermined builder yet) etc etc etc.

Good luck with your build. I look forward to your results.
Old 07-09-2009 | 09:11 AM
On The Tree

I think that everyone has a different idea of what they think a street car should be. Obvisously Abare has no intention of his car being driven on the street ie,slicks wheelie bars and such, but that doesn't say that his car couldn't be driven on the street. Just like FASTFATBOYS car is geared more for the street obvisously he like's to cruise and take long trips on the interstate, more than he does spending the day at the track bracket racing. My car is going to be pretty radical, but I will drive to a few cruise in's here and there to keep the Poser's in check LOL. But will it be called a "street car" or a "race car" ? I do know that I won't be cruising in 100* heat or sitting in traffic for an hours at a time, Because I am building the car around what I intend it to do and that's haul alot of A*^, so I had to be honest with myself and know if I built the car this radical there would be limitations to what I could expect of it in the real world and that is prefectly fine with me, It's all about the intended purpose the indvidual has in mind for the car they own not what some else thinks it should be or do.. 2cents..
Old 07-09-2009 | 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love these discussions and threads as they are both informative and entertaining. It is nice to see that there still is a following and progress in the LT1 world.

AI, just curious but what are your feelings on the older AFR 220 heads vs the newer style 195 and 210cc heads?

I have a combo similar to fastfatboys but I am still waiting on a few things (Fast XFI and converter) before I can get it together. The combo is a 383 with eagle 4340 crank, 4 bolt splayed caps, Lunati pro mod rods, diamond pistons with std tension rings and a 259 267 .670 lift 108lsa install on 104.5 with 12.15 comp. The heads are ported AFR 220's by Eric Bradby (Joe Overton's porter) with matching ported accel Pro ram single plane intake and T&D shaftmounts with Crower HIPPO lifters, etc. The engine was dynoed with a borrowed 750 cfm carb, valve cover breathers and 36 degrees of timing with 1.75 2.5" collector dyno headers..the shop only made 1 pass on the dyno as I would have had to pay for extra tuning and the car is getting fuel injection anyway so I opted to leave it alone. The engine made over 500 hp from 5600 to 7200rpms and had peak torque of 485@4700. The power plateaued at 520 from 6100 to 7000 and the engine builder said it would pick up quite a bit with a 1050 carb with some further tuning.
I am using hedman 1 7/8 stahl flange with 3.5" collectors, FAST XFI, 4 bbl 1200cfm tb and am going to run a crankcase vacuum pump when the combo goes into the car. What is your opinion of the potential of this combo horsepower wise? Am I off thinking I should be able to make 580-590 chp once dialed in with everything?

Also, you guys have the LT1 heads/cam packages down pretty good. What about standard sbc stuff? Can people expect just as good of gains? I would think so as they are both sbc and I would think the market for sbc stuff would be far bigger than the LT1 stuff.
Old 07-09-2009 | 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Well as the OP let me say a few things, I thought I clarified things in an earlier post but when I say max hp na street strip daily driver full weight full accesories buildup. I am realistic with myself I am looking for 440 - 480 rwhp with a streetable hydralic roller cam and valvetrain. I know how much it cost to go fast, I have an 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe with a fully built 383 splayed billet cap all forged 10.3:1 scr AFR 220 headed Super victor and Procharged enginge that made 815 hp on the engine dyno has a TKO600 and 9" rear. My other car (which is under construction) is a 2000 Z24 Cavalier with a custom built 2.4 Quad4 engine with custom billet main caps ported 086 head which flows 300cfm @ .400 lift 224/.430 cams a 62-1/t4 turbo etc so I'm no newbie to this game. I didn't ask for the best "RACE SETUP" I asked which head made the most rwhp/rwtq between the AFR 210 eliminator and the Ai TFS 215 in a max effort street/strip car.
And after reading everything I have decided to try the Ai TFS 21* heads and once I have the engine in the car I will report the results. By the way the rest of the combo is a S60 rear, SLP weld in sfc, Spohn TA, long tubes and 3" true duals over the axle, a built T56 (undetermined builder yet) etc etc etc.
Pics of both please I would LOVE to see both these cars. The quad 4 has serious potential. I always wondered why no one has explored it.

I bet that Monte is an absolute RIOT.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 07-09-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2009 | 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll get pics up of both cars when I get the chance, the Aerocoupe has the body off the frame for round tube double frame rails and narrowing of the rear of the frame for mini tubs to accomodate 315x60x15 drag radials and to keep the car from twisting up since I don't want to cage the car (it's more Pro Touring theme and rare, only 6500 made.). The Z24 has most of the suspension and big brakes done but the engine is at the machine shop getting done, I hope to have both of these cars done before the year is out
Old 07-20-2009 | 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Default Ai

I would say go with AI all day long. I've got a set of their 215 TFS CNC solid roller heads and this car makes dumb amounts of power. Advanced Induction knows cylinder heads and also are a better value than the high end AFR heads. Take a look at who's being more efficent with a smaller port and valve. Its not all about those "cfm" numbers. I've got alot of people wondering how my car is doing what it is so far with out the assistance of power adders.
I give my vote to the guys over at AI!
Old 07-20-2009 | 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
I would say go with AI all day long. I've got a set of their 215 TFS CNC solid roller heads and this car makes dumb amounts of power. Advanced Induction knows cylinder heads and also are a better value than the high end AFR heads. Take a look at who's being more efficent with a smaller port and valve. Its not all about those "cfm" numbers. I've got alot of people wondering how my car is doing what it is so far with out the assistance of power adders.
I give my vote to the guys over at AI!
How does the 4200 Vigilante drive on the street? I am curious. Mine needs more converter.

How much will it stall if you shove the brake pedal to the floor and see how far it will go before the car moves?

Mine only flashes to 3700 and only go 2900-3000 SHOVING the pedal in the floor.
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Ok this is kind of off topic well this thread is already off topic so I’m going to ask... what does it mean when they say a "welded intake"? What do they weld and how does it help?
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:19 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
How does the 4200 Vigilante drive on the street? I am curious. Mine needs more converter.

How much will it stall if you shove the brake pedal to the floor and see how far it will go before the car moves?

Mine only flashes to 3700 and only go 2900-3000 SHOVING the pedal in the floor.
It drives OK, for a daily driver I'd say hell no, but for a weekend car just kicking around here and there it drives pretty good. The converter is nice becuase it hides the cam surge below like 2300 or so. I just don't lock it up untill about 55 mph and then with the manual valve body I can keep the car happy while its driving around. Mine flashes to about 4700 on the launch and I can foot brake it to about 3300 before the car pushes through the brakes and begins to roll.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:22 AM
9 Second Club

Default I think...........

Originally Posted by allenwesley
Ok this is kind of off topic well this thread is already off topic so I’m going to ask... what does it mean when they say a "welded intake"? What do they weld and how does it help?
I think they are refering to relocation of runners for better air flow. If you look at some of the runners path as they go through intake and into the cylinder head some of them are quite a chore to get to line up and match up properly sometimes. This is what I believe they are talking about but we may want to wait for them to chime in.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

I know of a shop in TX, that welds above the injector bungs, due to the excessive porting on the inside of the intake. The weld is there, just in case too much material is taken out, when porting.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no pro, but I have done extensive welding on a factory intake, a lot of pros to this intake over a factory, even thought about building these if they show the gains I am looking for.

Old 07-21-2009 | 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

^^^If you do, Id buy one

Quick Reply: Max power 383 which head AFR 210 eliminator or AI TFS 215?