LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need some help or advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some help or advice

I have a 355 ( in a 95 Trans Am ) Lt4 hot cam 1.6 rockers shortie headers no cat flowmaster, Lt4 hot cam,52 mm thorttle body , 323 gear Yank 2800, cold air. Mad z28 tune
I ran the car the other night at the track , it ran 13:42 at 101 as my best with 2.00 as a short time.
I know short times are not good but i feel the mph is a little low.
I wanted to know if my stock 24 lbs injectors need to be changed to 30's.
Hope i have inculded all the right info and look forward to a good answer.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

No idea's?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we you really dont have a wild cam or mods so really your injectors shoudl be fine.... i was running a mild cam like a CC306ish plus all the bolt ons and as S trim blower on stock injectors.... would maybe a lil bigger injector help??? maybe but the main reason you arent running what you should is cause you are not maximizing what you already have... you could be running mid 7s with stock cam and heads and just minor bolt ons... my close freinds at herron performane had a 310rwhp car running 7.4s which at the time was the world record bolt on NA LT1.... so look at your combo and see where your making a mistake... it might be your psi in the tires, maybe your tune isnt what it should be and there is a mistake in the mail order which i dont recomend other than to get your car broken in for a dyno tune cause each engine is different, maybe your converter wants to be flashed instead of stalled up??? i spent a long time watching others go faster than me with less money and power and all i was doing is not doing simple things.... im no professional but i do know most people are only using 70% of what they could be doing with most setups.... kinda like people usually only use a small portion of the brain when the capabilty was there the whole time, they just need to find it!!!

for instance look at my 8.3 at 91mph with only full exhust and no tune at all on street tires... honestly it probly had a 8.1 in it but i wasnt speed shifting it or leaving as hard as i could... yeah i didnt have much done but was out running cars that had much more work by practicing launches and figure out what the car wanted me to do with it... and honestly with you have an auto with a stall you should be running much better since a 6 speed is much harder to figure out and les less forgiving when you make a mistake during a run...

so i recomend this, get it to a dyno and have the tune looked at and maybe check out your tire you are using and put the psi around 14-15.... with that auto you dont have to run a drag radial to get the times you are wanting as long as you drive it correctly.... and keep in mind you dont have to WOT the whole run.... get a feel for your car and taper the throttle back if it feels like its getting less traction and wait until it gets better traction before you give it WOT again

Last edited by bluebeast; 07-12-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

you have any SUSPENSION mods may be your next look...jmo
Old 07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Hey thanks guy's I htink you will help me in the right direction.
I ahve owned the car for 10 years and it has been about 8 since last time it went down the track guess i need to learn it again lol.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get taller gears and a higher stall.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

I think your injectors should be fine.our cars are pretty close,mods.in sig. As was said I would get dyno tune, then some DR's,practice time launching then gears and maybe higher stall. just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

gears and suspention will help you out alot if you havent done those things yet. have to get the power to the ground

Quick Reply: need some help or advice