LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 or 396 and which heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
Its sarcasm, which clearly you dont understand. i just threw $100k out there, the point being that i would have a total of $25k invested in my car, including subs and nice wheels. while z06s have (so you understand) $70k spent for bone stock..
Actually, $65k spent, so you understand. I get the sarcasm, but if you want to say you can outrun a car that costs x more, throw on a 200 shot and run the 11.X you think it takes to beat that car. You miss the point too. Read Pucks response above mine - summed up perfectly. He gets it.

dont know about you, but i much prefer the decked out $25k car that can at least keep right behind the $70k car, not to mention added features like seats 4, subs, etc.
Keep up how? The $65k car at the end of the day still has residual value, a warrranty, better fuel economy, is less tempermental, doesn't rattle like a 15 year old car, is easier to drive in traffic, still has AC and looks better. You prefer the old car - good for you, but if you cannot see the differences and quantify those differences objectively, I just don't know what to tell you, other than as I said before - good luck. You dump $15k into your 15 year old car and guess what? As a whole, it still isn't worth wholesale value. Go ask David how selling his strong LTX worked out for him.

And we all know 4 seats is a joke - have you ever tried to sit back there? and subs? What are you, 16? You're going to saddle an aleady pig heavy car with more crap?

And you're right, it will be behind the $65k car - every day of the week. We haven't evven gotten to the point where there's a turn in the road - what happens then?

really my objective was that some rich punk cant get his dad to buy him for example, the z06 and think he can out run me. I realize that if he bought it and then went and did bolt ons or whatever, good for him. he should out run me considering he spending even more $ on top of the already $70k car.
What about the father who buys his kid a built LTX, who thinks he can outrun you? Your logic, or hopefully sarcasm, is just hilarious. Rich punks buy fast cars all the time.

I've got a friend with about $9k in parts in a '67 Nova that will wax your ***. Total investment is about $15k. See how that works? There is always someone faster, whether bought or built, whether a million dollars or fifty dollars, whether it belongs to an old racer geezer or a punk with a rich father.

As I've repeated three times now - good luck with your build, and I hope you slay every punk *** on the street with a car twice the value of yours.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your budget and goal and look them over VERY well. There have been MANY start off on the path you want to go down only to find out a year later it is out of reach. Look at the parts that need to be upgraded OUTSIDE the engine build. This is where people get bogged down. The money you spend on the engine itself, the same amount will be spent on the car to make it handle the power. Sit down and put it on paper...I did.

OUTSIDE the engine.

Fuel pump
Electric water pump
Headers
Exhaust
Transmission
Driveshaft
Torque converter/or clutch
Rear end
Gauges
Tach
Trans cooler
Injectors
Torque arm
Springs/shocks
Roll bar
Belts
Frame connectors
Dyno tune

Add up the nominal price for that stuff, and thats just the stuff off the top of my head that you are either gonna need or is gonna break.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems to me like you're more worried about someone else's car than your own.

Who gives a **** about punk kids in C6 Z06s anyway?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not trying to have the fastest car in the world, i know i will always find someone that will out run me. Such random comments.

Why mod my stock car? its plenty fast for a street car, ur supposed to go the speed limit, not any faster.

When making a drag car, what makes u choose 11 seconds or 10 seconds? its pure bragging rights.

I am worried about my car, i want to have a fast car that does not get run but very rarely.

Why spend like $5k and lose most races? why not just leave it stock then? i can run a 14 stock, why do i need to go any faster?

Why cant people tell me what i need to get what i want. instead of crap about get bolt ons and see if thats good enough power. you cant compete with the z06 no matter what.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It seems to me like you're more worried about someone else's car than your own.

Who gives a **** about punk kids in C6 Z06s anyway?
When put so simply it really does get right to the point .
Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Launching!

uh huh, and how did any of you pick your power? was it your budget?

if i didnt care about anyone else's car or power i would just do cheap bolt ons and have plenty fast of a car??

stock i can floor it and get to the speed limit quick. i can go 70 mph, i can squeal tires, anything else i want.

why even bother messing with it? for me winning a race is fun and exciting. so i want a very strong car, because if im losing more than im winning im not going to be happy.

whats the point in running a 10 sec, 11 sec is plenty fast. 125mph traps.

get it?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Take your budget and goal and look them over VERY well. There have been MANY start off on the path you want to go down only to find out a year later it is out of reach. Look at the parts that need to be upgraded OUTSIDE the engine build. This is where people get bogged down. The money you spend on the engine itself, the same amount will be spent on the car to make it handle the power. Sit down and put it on paper...I did.

OUTSIDE the engine.

Fuel pump
Electric water pump
Headers
Exhaust
Transmission
Driveshaft
Torque converter/or clutch
Rear end
Gauges
Tach
Trans cooler
Injectors
Torque arm
Springs/shocks
Roll bar
Belts
Frame connectors
Dyno tune

Add up the nominal price for that stuff, and thats just the stuff off the top of my head that you are either gonna need or is gonna break.
thx for the helpful post. i dont really have a budget. i would like to keep the total invested in the car about $25k but its just an over time project. im working on bolt ons and suspension for now. ill finish up with trans and engine.

just trying to pick up used parts as i go along to cut the price and capture on good deals.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guy has no clue
Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
this guy has no clue

agreed.... but then again I had to eat my first $15k before I found a clue. As he has said the website is here for others to not make the same mistakes... yet makes listening to the advice so difficult.

1) LTx fbody < C6 Z06. <--- thats a period

2) If you want a natrually aspirated big power motor... you are gonna blow a metric **** ton of cash on a set of heads and cam.

3) If you want it reliable you are going to blow a metric **** ton of cash on bottom end and valvetrain parts.

4) Find a budget, find a goal (that for gods sake isnt dyno or flow # based) and go from there.

Everyone here can help you alot more if we know what you want. Big numbers arent that hard, going fast on a track is. People have told you that... people that have spent the money and know from experience. (Trust me as well, spending 25 grand to outrun some rich kid isnt as satisfying as you might think... atleast not 2 years later.)
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is not going anywhere. Cruzer, spend more time searching for answers to your questions....you will get alot more info than one thread can provide.

Quick Reply: 383 or 396 and which heads?