LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heads and Cams Combo!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads and Cams Combo!?

Where can i get a combo set and which one should i get do ya think!? I want a big-ish cam that is still DD'able and heads that will hold it. I also want something that isnt going to take much tuning to run with. 1994 Lt1 Camaro, oh and what headers and exhaust setup? Im buying all this at once btw so fitment with stock stuff shouldnt be an issue I.E. stock catback to hookers for example. LMK what you guys think since im new to the 350 and dont actually have my hands on it yet. Thanks again!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no degree of tuning - you either get it or you don't. It all costs the same. Unless you step up to dyno-tuning. Most setups will work fine on a mail-order tune (look at mine!).

Do a search for Lloyd Elliot and/or Advanced Induction, and then be overwhelmed with the amount of info. I'm using AI.

Before you go delving into heads and cam and such, you need to compile the bolt-ons first. CAI, exhaust, etc. Do you have an M6 or A4? An auto will require a higher stall.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I.b.t.l.
Attached Thumbnails Heads and Cams Combo!?-ibtl1.jpg  

Last edited by vanilla89; 07-16-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Launching!

Its an A4, Im looking at more than likely getting an SLP II Catback and maybe a Y-Pipe with an electric cutout, hooker headers (Shorties), Either a Moroso intake or an SLP lid, with an Ls6 Intake, maybe later some spray but i dont have the time or money to tune it right now.

I will search those names and see what i come up with but any info is great really, considering im coming from a Honda, this motor is back to my roots and im kinda liking it so far but all i know really is old muscle cars and new imports lol!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lt1Powerz
Its an A4, Im looking at more than likely getting an SLP II Catback and maybe a Y-Pipe with an electric cutout, hooker headers (Shorties), Either a Moroso intake or an SLP lid, with an Ls6 Intake, maybe later some spray but i dont have the time or money to tune it right now.

I will search those names and see what i come up with but any info is great really, considering im coming from a Honda, this motor is back to my roots and im kinda liking it so far but all i know really is old muscle cars and new imports lol!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Did i Fail? All im goin on is what i have been told, i havent really looked into the combo side of things yet... Thats what im doing now.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Launching!

http://advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLT1.html

The first H/C setup... Is that what i should be looking for if i dont want to mess with a stall just yet...?

Or is this more what im looking for?
218/224 .544/.544 111 LSA. LE Cam... Work with my stock heads?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lt1Powerz
Did i Fail? All im goin on is what i have been told, i havent really looked into the combo side of things yet... Thats what im doing now.
Yeah a lil bit. I didn't mean to be a dick about it, I jumped the gun a bit. Sorry.

The LS6 manifold doesn't work on LT1s. It's a better manifold for the 98-00 LS1s. I think 01-02 LS1s already have them from the factory. (Not into LS1's, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I would suggest some serious research before you decide on a H/C setup. I've been researching for 6 months now and changed my mind idk how many times. You really can't go wrong with Lloyd or AI, just depends on what you want from the car.

And whatever H/C setup you choose, you will need a tune and probably a stall to be able to drive it.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP lid is primarily an LS1 upgrade and the LS6 intake is exclusively an LS upgrade, we have LT1s so not all parts are obviously going to work. Arm yourself with the knowledge of what's under your hood then go do some research. There are too many variables to make suggestions, what is the purpose of the build for starters? Are you keeping stock cubes? Is it a daily driver, weekend cruiser, or a drag car? Have you recently won the lottery? All of these things come into play when throwing money at these cars for mods.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Teching In

You could use a SLP lid though if you do the Lid Mod. Don't have a link but a quick search would set you up.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Teching In

^^ What he said. Decide what you want form the car and how much you want to sink into it first. Along with some research about the LT1 and you'll be well on your way to leavin your old Honda buddies in the dust.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Okay heres the down low... I was involved in a wreck... Im getting a huge settlement... Im talking 5 grand asap and another 10 grand or so to come in the next months... What will headers, an intake, a cutout, and an SLP II Catback get me HP wise? I May also get a trifecta mail order tune... Bad idea or no? Im hearing mixed feeling on mail orders...

Heads and cams can wait if need be, i want to be able to dd it, its not a drag car by any means but i would like to be able to pull high 12's in it with basic stuff if at all possible... I wanna keep a stock block, the only internals i wanna touch are the heads valvetrain. I may jump into the block when i spray it but i doubt it since it will hold a 150 shot, again correct me if im wrong, it will hold a 150 shot on a stock block?

Basically ever since my wreck im scared of fast... I want something that i can dd and be able to take to the track and pull 12's if i wanted, maybe take it out to the street on weekends...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Teching In

High 12's are def. do able with spray and bolt-ons. A 150 shot is generally considered the "safe" limit on the stock bottom end. Colder plugs are a must and timing box to pull out some timing would be ideal. Hit up the Nitrous forum for a lot of the details on spraying these motors. Also check out LTXTech.com. It's a sister (brother?) site to this that is specifically for LT1 cars.

Some people use only Mail order tunes for their setups. To get the absolute most out of your car though you need to get it tuned on a dyno by someone that knows what they're doing. Don't know where your located but check out the sponsors list for some reputable tuners that may be near you.

And don't neglect your suspension. Thats just as important to going quick at the track as HP.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Yeah i know some guys that know ALOT about spraying 350's around here and ALOT that can tune them too so im good on that aspect, i just know im going to add more and more so i dont wanna keep dyno tuning it every other week...

Thats all i did on my Honda and i could run in track races all day but it ran 16's in the quarter... So im not gonna neglect it but its not on the top of the lift if ya know what i mean?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

If there are lots of mods down the road and you would like to keep from having to tune frequently than I would start with suspension. Get that torque arm off of the tranny tailshaft and get a nice tubular torque arm to plant your tires. Get some adjustable lower control arms and an adjustable panhard rod. I prefer 3 point sub frame connectors but subframe connectors of any type. A good CAI with some long tube headers, ORY, cutout, and some spray and you are pretty close to your goal without ever having to open a valve cover. Other popular bolt ons are NSA 1.6 roller rockers with hardened pushrods and guide plates oh yeah and a good torque converter

Last edited by JB_97ws6TA; 07-17-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Any Specific brand recomendations!?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.umiperformance.com/

for suspension stuff I like UMI but I don't necessarily buy direct from them but their stuff is really nice. BMR and Spohn all make quality pieces but I am partial to UMI. I like pacesetter headers primarily because I need the emissions hook ups and I am cheap
Old 07-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Okay so if u werent cheap would u go with the hookers? And the SLP II Catback, and a y-pipe and a moroso intake?

Suspension will be done in little bits whenever i get bored lol, i dont wanna go too much lower either cuz the roads are BAD here and it was hell sitting an inch off the ground in my Honda...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When we talk suspension mods for the track, we do not include lowering springs as part of the equation. It's RWD, so lowering will only hurt you.

For the absolute best in power, long tube headers are what you need. No compromises.

High 12s are capable in bolt-on form, much less spraying. A friend of mine went 11.70s with a 150-shot with only an SLP LM and CAI.

As far as cylinder head/valvetrain selection, you shouldn't need 6 months of research as there are only so many choices you can pick. IMO, if you're going with stock castings, pick AI or LE, period. When you get to that point, go with a package deal that includes the cam mated to the heads for the best power combo.

Also, LT1s only have one cam"s".
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Haha yeah i figured lowering was outta the question i just dont wanna roll around in 4X4 status ya know!? I priced some longtube pacesetters last night and a few other things and for a full I/H/E with electric cutouts and the few other little goodies im gonna need to install it im looking at about 1500 bucks... Is that reasonable? I emailed trifecta to see if they could make me a tune with those mods.

I cant seem to find the Combo's on their websites, maybe im just dumb but im not seeing it, thats what i have been looking for though. Regardless of what size cam and heads i get im going to need a tune correct?

I know they are SOHC, i was using Plural tense since im looking into multiple types of cams, sorry if that was confusing.

You guys are really helpful and i really appreciate this, hopefully i will be back on the road again soon! Its been almost two months since i have driven anything at all...

Quick Reply: Heads and Cams Combo!?