LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water in oil - gasket and heads fine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water in oil - gasket and heads fine?

It started with white smoke and coolant loss, so I had it checked and they said blown gasket or cracked heads. I take it home and take the valve cover off one side, sure enough it's milky as hell. So I go through and remove each head, gaskets look fine on both sides. So I send the heads to my engine builders for testing, they just called me today and told me the heads, and valve seats looked fine, but some of my valves were quite worn and needed replaced.

So what now? If not heads or gaskets then what? I told him I had water in the oil so he said he'd keep looking at the heads, but what would cause such wear on the valves at only 12k miles? They were manely steel valves I think. Oh, and also, the pistions were pretty built up with carbon.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
So what now? If not heads or gaskets then what?
Could have been a blown head gasket. It's not always readily apparent where the leak was just by looking at a head gasket. Could also be a cracked block.

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I told him I had water in the oil so he said he'd keep looking at the heads, but what would cause such wear on the valves at only 12k miles?
Are you using roller rockers?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it turns out that when he called me they hadn't even magnaflux or pressure tested it yet. So I'm still waiting to hear back. And he says the valves were worn from the coolant in the oil, washing away the oil on the valve. Also, I mentioned in another thread that when I took the intake manifold off, much of the bolts didn't need a wrench to come off, I took them off with my fingers. Is it possible that that could have caused water in the oil? The guy I talked to said that was a possibility when I told him, but he may not know the LT1 off hand.

And no, I'm using stock rockers right now, Though I am upgrading to 1.6 roller tip when I put it back together,
Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The intake is dry on the LT1, so the only way a loose bolt there can cause water in the oil is if you sprayed a LOT of water on a loose intake.

There are relatively few ways you can get water in the oil. Bad head gasket, cracked head, cracked block, or oil cooler problem. If an oil cooler problem I would have expected you to report some oil in the coolant.

On older smallblocks the intake has coolant passages so a loose intake on them can let coolant get into the oil. Your machinist should have noticed the lack of intake surface water ports even if he was not familiar with the LT1 particulars.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Default Lt 1 water in oil

I swapped a 94 Lt1 into a 86 IROC Z I had overheating problems from the start I was restoring it but I start it and white smoke started coming from the exhaust so I pulled the engine out and remove valve cover to the milky crap I removed the heads and sent them to auto machine shop they said the heads were ok they cleaned them up so put the engine back together torqued ever thing started the car it seem fine since I was restoring it I didn't drive it at all trailer it to body shop for paint got it in the winter and stored but I notice it was geting harder to start so I re moved the valve cover yesterday there milky again I Would like to know if the people that had this problem were they all cracked blocks ??? are cracked heads Thank you
Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Teching In

So what was the repair was it cracked heads are cracked Block I got the same thing after senting the heads out to auto machine shop this started last year put the engine back together same after thnking it was fix thanks let know what was your fix and did it work
Old 05-01-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

this thread is from 09' i doubt he will be answerin back anytime soon lol

it is possible that you have a bad block.

do you have an oil cooler?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by brioneschevybelair
So what was the repair was it cracked heads are cracked Block I got the same thing after senting the heads out to auto machine shop this started last year put the engine back together same after thnking it was fix thanks let know what was your fix and did it work
Did you have the heads pressure tested (can't magnaflux aluminum heads)? Were they checked to see if they were true? Were they milled or not? What kind of head gaskets did you use? What kind of torque sequence did you use?

Quick Reply: water in oil - gasket and heads fine?