LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 96 T/A is alive!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My 96 T/A is alive!

I traded my Honda Shadow for a 96 Trans Am because I have been missing my Camaro and wanted to get back into the car game. I haven't posted it up because it was running hot and had some wiring issues and I wasn't sure I was going to keep it. Well yesterday i swapped out the t-stat and I had cleaned up some wiring a few days ago and now it runs without getting hot. I let it idle with a 160 stat in it for about an hour and it only got above half way on the gauge once and the fans came on by themselves, which was not happening before due to some wiring jack-assery by the previous owner.

Anyway, I'm happy to say I'm back and the modding can start now. The body still looks like *** but it runs!

If anybody in Houston knows this car or anything about it please let me know!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice! Now time for a heads/cam swap.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man a heads/cam swap is what got me in trouble (money wise) on my Camaro. I was $12 grand into go fast parts before it was all said and done and had to sell the car for $7k. I'm definately going to do something but not sure what yet. We'll see what the used part market dictates!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow96z
man a heads/cam swap is what got me in trouble (money wise) on my Camaro. I was $12 grand into go fast parts before it was all said and done and had to sell the car for $7k. I'm definately going to do something but not sure what yet. We'll see what the used part market dictates!
Oh yeah, what ET did 12 g's buy you?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sadly 12's (hence the name), but I still had shorties and no tune. You could feel there was a lot more in it, just couldn't finish it to use the potential.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slow96z
sadly 12's (hence the name), but I still had shorties and no tune. You could feel there was a lot more in it, just couldn't finish it to use the potential.
Ouch...12g's should have bought you 10's at least!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

good luck man, i just got my camaro going again, was in storage for 3 years.. yea 3 F-ING years!!! and no mods were being done at that time. Just had no money to fix the trans and clutch. College will do that to a person. lol I thought about sellin it but I kno if I did id feel the same way you do and would have to get another eventually. But shes all good now, good luck on your ride. POLISH THOSE RIMS!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Ouch...12g's should have bought you 10's at least!
I agree, but there were some definite tuning issues that needed to be ironed out. I also built it for nitrous, which never made it on there.

Given the chance to do it again I think I would have taken the heads to another head shop for flow bench testing because the cam was designed based on flow numbers that I was given by the shop that did the heads but there were a few other things that happened with that shop at the time that in retrospect should have made me question the whole situation.

Anyway, bygones and such. I'll p&p my own heads this time or buy aftermarket ones with a factory matched cam so I'll know they work well together.

Search this Thread