LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Install EFI connection LSX PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
No, the problem is not with using the double roller...
Yes, many people use DR timing sets. It usually requires a little clearancing on the inside of the timeing cover. If you have a '96-'97 car, a double roller timing set requires the deletion of the reluctor ring. But the OP is going to use a DR and a reluctor ring, which won't fit under the stock timing cover. The OP knows this and is prepared to modify his timing cover to get it to fit. But what I am trying to tell him is that the crank hub will be out of alignment (whether it's actually an issue remains to be seen) and that the key might not engage his reluctor ring (that would be a big issue).
I didnt know you couldnt run the reluctor ring on 96-97's with a DR. I hadnt heard that before. couldnt you just remove the additional offset from the hub to bring it back in alignment with the belts? we arent talking that much material.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The DR + reluctor ring will throw your crank hub and harmonic balancer out of alignment with the rest of your acc. You could measure the additional width added by the double roller + reluctor ring - width of stock crank sprocket and cut that much off of the stock crank hub.

I'll be watching this thread, very interesting.
Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
I didnt know you couldnt run the reluctor ring on 96-97's with a DR. I hadnt heard that before. couldnt you just remove the additional offset from the hub to bring it back in alignment with the belts? we arent talking that much material.
See my post (post#2) above^^^
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also watching this thread, maybe the end to my troubled car....
Old 07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See my post (post#2) above^^^
Im so retarded today... thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally dug into my 385 LT4 that this conversion is going on, and it is relatively simple.
I already altered a wiring harness to work, that was pretty easy too with the correct wiring diagram.

I will be following your thread to see if you encounter any issues, I haven't yet.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Progress?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool, intrested to see how this turns out.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Progress?
Just got home from work, I brought my wiring harness in from my shop and I have been working on it in my room. I had a buddy help me for about 40 minutes and we repinned every connector we needed. I called out where the pin was going and what color it was and he stuck it in the LSX PCM. Took me longer to acutally take the wire loom off everything and get rid of the extra wires opposed to repinning.

The EFI connection has 90% of the pinouts, but the ones not labeled where pins that we aren't using anyhow.
http://www.eficonnection.com/coilper...s_LS1_Blue.jpg
http://www.eficonnection.com/coilper...ns_LS1_Red.jpg

The LS1 has a different firing order from the LT1 so numbers 2&3 and 4&7 coil and injector have to be swapped.
This part is fairly simple since injector 2 is BLUE 3 and injector 3 is BLUE 4 Same for injector 4 is BLUE 43 and injector 7 is BLUE 44

Coils are labled Coil 2 RED 69 and Coil 3 RED 67 Same for Coil 4 RED 27 and Coil 7 RED 29

I'll get some pics up soon of my Coil pack bracket I built for the valvecover, spent a couple of bucks on nuts/bolts at the hardware store, already had some aluminum left over from my sheetmetal intake.

So far pretty simple, we will hopefully get to start working on a few things this week.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm suprised it has taken this long to see something out of these conversion setups. I look forward to youguinea pig results.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I'm suprised it has taken this long to see something out of these conversion setups. I look forward to youguinea pig results.
Results posted 5/8/09 at http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show....php?p=5957755

Photo Gallery of installation at http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...view=slideshow

Originally Posted by funina91ss
I can not tell you how happy I am that that the car works with the LS1 pcm. I had a problem pulling past 5,500 rpm's. Now I can crank it past 6,500 with no problems. Tuning on the car is so much better, faster.
Now after all that and the results I am having it was well worth it to me. My car has not "been right" for years. Plus now I can clean my engine bay without fear of junking an opti
I got better rpm pull, trans feels better when it shifts. I am not talking it shifts harder it just feels better when it shifts.I won't have to worry about it not shifting at the track when pulling 1.4 60ft times. I can lock the converter in 3rd gear now something we could never do with the LT1 pcm @ WOT.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Subscribing. This will be done, when I start to work on the motor again. Question I have is. How hard is it to do the wiring changes? I have never played with the harness before and don't want to get in over my head. I don't mind paying for a harness if it is not doable on my part.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Subscribing. I definately plan on doing this to my Wifes LT1 once I start the 383 build!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by want297z
Subscribing. This will be done, when I start to work on the motor again. Question I have is. How hard is it to do the wiring changes? I have never played with the harness before and don't want to get in over my head. I don't mind paying for a harness if it is not doable on my part.
Some are following the information below. I would suggest using the original GM schematics.

Is it hard? Not really, but it will take some time. Most are doing the work within 8 hours.

Common Questions
Q: The LT1 TPS, CTS, IAT, MAP have shared grounds. The LS1 PCM has dedicated grounds for these sensors from the PCM. Should these grounds be dedicated to the PCM when doing the 24x conversion?
A: I would suggest YES. While I've not actually tried sharing the grounds, the LS1 PCM may be monitoring the sensor ground to detect an open circuit. If this is true, the result will be a DTC (diagnostic trouble code).

Q: Can I retain EGR?
A: NO. Unless you can adapt the 5 wire (linear type) LS1 EGR valve to the LT1 intake manfiold. I was just talking with someone yesterday who is doing this by making some sort of one-off adapter.

That's about it...not many questions from those reworking their own harnesses.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S10Wildside

Thanks for posting that, doens't look as bad as I expected. Quite a few of them I can just ignore - A/C, TCC, rev lockout, etc. I still wish there was someone to offer a service where you send your harness out and it gets converted. I know the labor cost would be steep, but any sponsors wanna step in?? Would be ton of cool points from the LTX crowd! .

I am still pricing it out and tossing the idea around - in all honesty it is cheaper then a FAST but a hell of a lot more then just throwing an opti on there - but the LSX pcm and ease of tuning is sooooo tempting.

Need to make my decision soon, since the ignition and fuel lines are pretty much all thats left to do for my build.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Some are following the information below. I would suggest using the original GM schematics.

Is it hard? Not really, but it will take some time. Most are doing the work within 8 hours.

Common Questions
Q: The LT1 TPS, CTS, IAT, MAP have shared grounds. The LS1 PCM has dedicated grounds for these sensors from the PCM. Should these grounds be dedicated to the PCM when doing the 24x conversion?
A: I would suggest YES. While I've not actually tried sharing the grounds, the LS1 PCM may be monitoring the sensor ground to detect an open circuit. If this is true, the result will be a DTC (diagnostic trouble code).

Q: Can I retain EGR?
A: NO. Unless you can adapt the 5 wire (linear type) LS1 EGR valve to the LT1 intake manfiold. I was just talking with someone yesterday who is doing this by making some sort of one-off adapter.

That's about it...not many questions from those reworking their own harnesses.
I have the helms for a 97 and 01, so that should take care of the pin locations. EGR I don't care about, have not run one since 98 anyway. The time I am not worried about, the car has been sitting for almot 3 years now, a little while longer will not kill me. That is why I drive the 00 though.

How do you change out the connectors that plug into the PCM? Never done it and don't know who to ask. Any special tools? Maybe my computer geek friends would have them.

So basically for under $1000 (the price of roughly 2 OPTI's) I could do away with the OPTI and never have to look back.

Now how about tuning? Anything special with tuning since it is on the LT1? I know to swap the firing order around, anything else though? If I brought the car to my tuner, would it be easy enough to figure out?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Thanks for posting that, doens't look as bad as I expected. Quite a few of them I can just ignore - A/C, TCC, rev lockout, etc. I still wish there was someone to offer a service where you send your harness out and it gets converted. I know the labor cost would be steep, but any sponsors wanna step in?? Would be ton of cool points from the LTX crowd! .

I am still pricing it out and tossing the idea around - in all honesty it is cheaper then a FAST but a hell of a lot more then just throwing an opti on there - but the LSX pcm and ease of tuning is sooooo tempting.

Need to make my decision soon, since the ignition and fuel lines are pretty much all thats left to do for my build.
FYI, there is someone who offers the coverted harness. Don't remember where, but if you search LS1 PCM in a LT1, I think you can find the thread with that information. It retails for 850 last time I checked.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Im pretty sure that Eficonnection offers a plug and play harness for this conversion. The DIY version is just a cheaper alternative.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes $850 for the EFI plug and play connection. A lot cheaper just to repin the harness

Anything special with tuning since it is on the LT1?
Yea you can step it up to HPtuners or EFILive, same thing all the LSX guys run along with many shops. Seems like a lot of shops don't want to mess with the LT1 tunning, well at least my area.

P.S. Puck I have the opti out, I can get you pics, but its perfect. Just doesn't have the rotor on the inside. IF you want it for $80 shipped I can get it out tomarrow.

Just send me a PM.

Going to work on the setup some, I'll probably post some pics later, Ben.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really considering this for my Firehawk. Just trying to add up all the hidden costs involved with this swap, as well as what I could recoup from selling my MSD opti and other parts.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Yes $850 for the EFI plug and play connection. A lot cheaper just to repin the harness

Yea you can step it up to HPtuners or EFILive, same thing all the LSX guys run along with many shops. Seems like a lot of shops don't want to mess with the LT1 tunning, well at least my area.

P.S. Puck I have the opti out, I can get you pics, but its perfect. Just doesn't have the rotor on the inside. IF you want it for $80 shipped I can get it out tomarrow.

Just send me a PM.

Going to work on the setup some, I'll probably post some pics later, Ben.
Sounds good. I'll be considering the EFI setup later, but for now I just want to get this new build finished .

Quick Reply: Install EFI connection LSX PCM