LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Snapped Pushrods....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
yes you have to take the whole front of the engine apart again, good luck this time around! when I removed my cam with the #1 TDC the dowel pin on the cam was @ 3 o'clock
With #6 at TDC, you should see the dot on the crank gear in the 12 o'clock position. Now reinstall the cam gear with the dot in the 6, o'clock position. That will have your cam dowel pin in the 3 o'clock positin.

See this animation for reference:
http://shbox.com/1/cam_timing_ani.gif
Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok! GOT IT! This time I checked, and RE-checked! at #1 TDC, Cam Gear dot at 12, Crank Gear dot at 12, dowel at 9

#6 TDC, Cam Gear at 6, Crak Gear at 12, Doewl Pin at 3

Got it this time! lol. pulled out all the old bent valves, turned out it was ONLY the intake valves bent. All of the exhausts were perfect.

Checked how I had the cam installed and when I had #1 at TDC, the dowel pin sat at the 11........I was WAY off...

The heads and pistons are good to go, so we are seating the new valves tomorrow and re-installing the heads. New pushrods will be ordered Sunday morning, new alternator (because mine took a ****) will be ordered Friday morning and arrive Friday night, and new header bolts will be here by friday as well...car will be back up and running (knock on wood) Friday afternoon!!!

Last edited by Z28Camaro30Ann; 08-07-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Corey, how the **** are you going to line up the marks without taking the timing cover off...

Jesus Christ man, you realize they are connected by a chain right? And NOTHING you do will realign them short of taking off the timing cover, putting it at TDC, and THEN lining up the dots...?

Damn dude, come on

You also said "EVERY SINGLE EXHAUST VALVE WAS BENT" now you say they're all good and it was only the intake valves. Which is it? Or do you even know thw difference?

Lol
Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

har har, eff you. The timing cover thing was a retarded brainfart lol. Once I looked at the car again and actually thought about it I realized that it was a dumb comment. I was trying to find ways to save time....just didnt think that one through before I posted it

The exhaust valve thing was a typo. I meant to say intake valves and yes Calvien you jackass, I know the difference.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFormula View Post
See that's how you talk to people asking for help! It's text so even if you are joking the reader can't tell body language and tone of voice and he's already pissed off get what I mean?

"See how I talk to people asking for help" ????

How else do you explain to somebody that they're trying to tackle a project that they don't have the mechanical experience and knowledge to successfully complete? I was simply using HIS words, and the phrasing of HIS questions to show that he's not experienced enough to accomplish what he's trying to do.

You may be trying to defend your friend, and that's very nice of you. However, anyway you cut it, he's in over his head!

Re read what I posted I said that's HOW not see how I. You wanna be a dick that's cool. And yes he was over his head but he learned from his mistakes and that's what life is about.

Cory,

You'r welcome buddy.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnnyFormula
Re read what I posted I said that's HOW not see how I.
Is that, somehow or other, supposed to make sense??

Furthermore, I may have been critical of your friend's limited automotive knowledge, but at least I was reasonably polite about it. Maybe YOU should re-read the other posts, as several of them were pretty rude and crude......no offense intended to those posters.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
har har, eff you. The timing cover thing was a retarded brainfart lol. Once I looked at the car again and actually thought about it I realized that it was a dumb comment. I was trying to find ways to save time....just didnt think that one through before I posted it

The exhaust valve thing was a typo. I meant to say intake valves and yes Calvien you jackass, I know the difference.
Is that your excuse for everything? You dont even know the difference between thread locker and thread sealant. You said that was a typo. Now your previos post was a typo. Then you asked if you didnt have to take the timing cover off. seriously dude WOW

you are the biggest idiot ever! way to **** up a nice SS.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Do you know how to adjust the rocker arms? It is very easy to over tighten them.

Last edited by tonskiguy; 08-08-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Is that your excuse for everything? You dont even know the difference between thread locker and thread sealant. You said that was a typo. Now your previos post was a typo. Then you asked if you didnt have to take the timing cover off. seriously dude WOW

you are the biggest idiot ever! way to **** up a nice SS.
**** you you *******...Who are you to critisize me? I have dyslexia. I am sorry I have a ******* condition where sometimes I mix up words and write things backwards. Sometimes I say one thing when I mean another. I take medicine for it to help but it doesnt fix everything....your a ******* dick.

I admitted that asking about the timing cover was a stupid question, and I realized it the second I looked at my ******* car again! I was not thinking clearly when I asked that and it was a dumb ******* question! I didnt ACTUALLY try and do it.

I made an honest mistake. I have owned up to and corrected that mistake like a grown *** human being...And the SS is not "fucked up" it just needed a couple more things fixed. It will be perfectly fine in a few days. I dont need you to chastise me, I came here for advice and for help so I didnt repeat a mistake, not for people to insult and degrade me when I am already down. So do me a favor and take your comments somewhere else. To those of you who actually helped me, thank you.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good luck buddy. You never called and asked me to help. I could make a mistake tho too, we all do.

Just slow down and take the time to learn what you're working with does, before you start a project.

A solid understanding of how an engine works and what a camshaft does, specifucally, would have prevented most of thos via "common-mechanical sense".

Hope all goes well for you from now on.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 AM
12 Second Club

Just an update for any interested.

Got new valves seated and looking good, heads are back on the car.

Re-positioned the camshaft to the proper position and this time I am sure of it.

Johnny and I measured pushrod length and came out with the stock 7.2" length, so I have ordered Trick Flow Chromemoly 7.2" pushrods

We used the stock 7.2" pushrods I still had to set the valve lash CORRECTLY...we hand turned the crank and set each valve ensuring I could hand turn the crank completely 2 times each valve before moving to the next.

I will put in the new pushrods when I get them on wed and once they are all installed I will hand turn the crank again to ensure nothing is binding up. If all is well I will crank her over without the injectors connected so it wont start, and I am gonna re-check the rockers to make sure nothing goes wrong...just a precaution...

Once that is done I will reconnect the injectors and start her up...
Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good job man. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Got new valves seated and looking good, heads are back on the car....
That was quick!

Did you double check to make sure the valve guides weren't damaged?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

sure did, they looked good.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Got new valves seated and looking good, heads are back on the car.

Re-positioned the camshaft to the proper position and this time I am sure of it.

Johnny and I measured pushrod length and came out with the stock 7.2" length, so I have ordered Trick Flow Chromemoly 7.2" pushrods

We used the stock 7.2" pushrods I still had to set the valve lash CORRECTLY...we hand turned the crank and set each valve ensuring I could hand turn the crank completely 2 times each valve before moving to the next.

I will put in the new pushrods when I get them on wed and once they are all installed I will hand turn the crank again to ensure nothing is binding up. If all is well I will crank her over without the injectors connected so it wont start, and I am gonna re-check the rockers to make sure nothing goes wrong...just a precaution...

Once that is done I will reconnect the injectors and start her up...
Sounds like your finally getting it. Good luck man.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks to you ss.slp.ls1! I tried to find that timing link on shbox's site but I guess I didnt look hard enough lol. You linked me to it, I made it look identical to those pice, and double checked everything! timing seems to be right on. I will get ALL the pushrods in on wed and hand crank it with them all in to ensure all is still well...if so, I will fire it up!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I hope everything goes well for you man!! Sweet car btw
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Snapped Pushrods....