LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Help ASAP, Picture of 95+ Opti Dowl Pin in car!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help ASAP, Picture of 95+ Opti Dowl Pin in car!

Basically I believe that the cam dowl pin on my cam is too long and it pushed the rotor forward leading to my rotors failures. I have nothing to accurately measure it so I have just been looking when I put my new Dynaspark Opti on (Thanks Again Eric for rebuilding this and doing a hell of a nice job!!!). I already ground it down some as it was much further out but now I am not sure.

Anyway when I go to put it on I know I am getting in the right notch I intentionally tested on the wrong one and it pushes the Opti out but on the right one there seems to be a gap between the mount points and the bolts holes, not big but enough to make me think its the dowl pin and its too long. When I tighten it down this is pushing the rotor forward and leading to failures.

So what I would LOVE is some Help!!
I need a picture of the Opti off but the rest still in place so I can ref how long your dowl pin is too mine looking at how far towards the seal etc.

I am taking a picture of mine now for ref.

THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by Cross; 08-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Looking at these too I am starting to think it just might still be a little too long.

What do you guys think? I had to blow them up with a Photo program but it does seem to me they are a little shorter.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Get a hold of a pair of calipers. Measure accurately how deep the hole is and measure how far the pin extends out past the timing gear.

If it were me and I was spending time and eating rotors, I'd remove the cam and measure the dowel pin length to be absolutely sure.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Your better with these motors than I am though lol. I have done a lot of DOHC Motor Cam swap but never one of these... guess I am just not confident enough to do it alone yet.

I already took it down quite a bit so I am sure it was too long and it seems normal for some aftermarket out of the box cams to have .840 length pins and you have to grind them down this was just not taken far enough before I started playing with it.

I think I am pretty close I just would like a good picture to compare it against, from the others if I am off its by a very small amount compared to before which I now feel it def was too long.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP, Picture of 95+ Opti Dowl Pin in car!