LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

9 sec LT1 all motor ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Quoted from Phil at Ai from another thread..............

David, as I have said before, and I will say again - I personally view Rick's car as a race car.

You guys suck up ALL you read. Just because it has a od trans and runs on pumpgas doesnt mean it can REALLY street drive.

My car is SETUP to streetcruise, and dragrace on occasion. Again, like I have said before. Take Abares car straight off the track in 100* heat and follow me down the interstate at 75 mph with his 5500 rpm non lockup converter, stock radiator, thin fluids wherever he can put them, uncapped ex, slicks and wheelie bars. WIth his TRACK tune, believe it or not a street tune and track tune ARE different, even on pumpgas. PROVE its a streetcar instead of all this BS. Shut me up. Until then its a racecar.

3 weeks ago I DROVE 60 miles to the track, made 4 passes, popped out the ttops rode the beach 40 miles, then drove 60 miles home, all on pumpgas, exactly like it is ALWAYS driven and raced. Its called a mid 10 second all motor streetcar.
Why didn't you put the whole quote from Phil in your post? I don't see anyone claiming it's a daily driven street car, but I'm sure its more than capable of being driven on the street with a simple tire swap.

Originally Posted by Advanced Induction
David, as I have said before, and I will say again - I personally view Rick's car as a race car. However, I personally see your car as a race car as well. Any vehicle that is unsafe to ride in without a helmet and harnesses due to steel bars located in the immediate vicinity of your head is not a "true street car" in my opinion. You don't have A/C? In your "street car?" It is subjective and I have neither the time, nor the inclination to debate something so irrelevant. I hope that makes you feel better. Rather than going wild like Pavlov's pups by repeatedly barking "race car" when someone rings the Abare bell, you can simply link this post where I said it myself.
Why would he put thin fluids in a car he bracket races? He has a 4200 stall converter, not sure where you got the 5500 from. Last time I checked you were running bigger tires than rick so I'm not sure what your point is about that, and the "wheelie bars" he has are nothing like a real wheelie bar that mounts to the rear end.

This post has addressed all the miss-information you keep repeating, but you still repeat the same stuff after you have been proven wrong for some reason.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/10980685-post62.html

I still don't understand what specifically makes your car much less of a race car than his. His motor setup is milder than your motor setup, and the chassis are very similar with him having the slight advantage there.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the point is.... ricks car, however capable you might think, does NOT drive on the street. its a racecar. i think the fastest Ai street car on the boards right now is that guy with the green TA, 383 and 200cc setup, and he runs bottom 11s with a definite chance of hitting 10s. where's the 1.5 seconds and 15 mph he's lacking compared to ricks old setup? if one of the Ai nutswingers can give me a definite concrete answer on that ill shut up as well.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do we have the same argument on every thread that these cars are mentioned, it has gotten old.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I really doubt that Rick knows who you are. He has been racing his car for a lot of years and never drives it on the street. Why would you ever want to compare your car to his?

I NEVER said Rick knows who I am, nor have I ever compared my car to his, There is NO comparison, I have a street car he has a racecar. OTHER people have compared mine to his in the streetcar/racecar aspect. As in Speed demon, who STILL doesnt get it, nor will he ever(I dont think)

It doesnt matter if yo have a Blown Brad Anderson top alcohol hemi with an air shifted Bruno and a 30 gallon alcohol fuel cell. If you can take it out and DRIVE it. Get up on the interstate for an hour, sit in 100* heat in traffic for an hour.....its a streetcar...now matter how much rollbar you got, compression, block 1/2 filled who cares..... IF YOU CAN DRIVE IT.

Ed Wrights car by his own admission was driven on the street, but was not a streetcar. He himself told ME that.

If you guys think Abare can take that car in track trim, no other changes and get up on the interstate for an hour and cruise at 75 mph, sit in traffic on a 100* day, do it over and over and over are mistaken. It aint made to do that, hence the racecar moniker. It is made to perform ON THE TRACK.

Being able to drive a car on the steet dont make it a street car.

As far as MY car having a rollbar, it is REQUIRED for the times I run with this car, as are the belts in it. They will stay in the car. BTW my car would be quicker without them.100lbs less weight.

Most DEDICATED strip cars DO have thin fluids, less fluids etc. Come on dude we all go after et. Even bracket racers. Trans fluid in the rear end, 0-20 engine oil(or thinner),1 quart less engine oil, shame you dont know the tricks, and thats just a few.

Speed Demon do we NEED to compare cars again? Read the post you linked, its in there.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-07-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I really don't car if it's a street car or not. I don't know you man, no offense or disrpect intended, but it sounds like you are using "my car is a street car" as an excuse to why you are not running as impressive times as others.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

And FOR THE RECORD Speed Demon THIS is the post I quoted Phil from:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11878341-post53.html
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

It can be done. PERIOD.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I really don't car if it's a street car or not. I don't know you man, no offense or disrpect intended, but it sounds like you are using "my car is a street car" as an excuse to why you are not running as impressive times as others.
I dont WANT a racecar, although my STREETCAR is as quick as most RACECARS in this section motor to motor.

I am getting a little tired of full out racecars being called a streetcar just because it has an OD trans and runs on "pumpgas" you can buy 100 octane out of the pump ya know. You can aslo run MORE cylinder pressure with LESS cam than I have, cam numbers dont tell the whole story. Nor does static compression ratio.

And here is the reason, when a young kid coming into the hotrod world see's a car as stated above being described as a "streetcar" and thinks he can get there from here....he cant. He has no idea.

When these guys with little knowledge ask these questions, a few cars are referenced, and thats ok but call them what they ARE.

Everyones idea of a streetcar is different, but the fact is there is only one definition......DRIVE IT, MANY MILES, ALL CONDITIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If it CANT do that, dont reference it as a "streetcar".

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by flyinZ
It can be done. PERIOD.

I agree. Streetcar trim, tough.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Everyones idea of a streetcar is different, but the fact is there is only one definition......DRIVE IT, MANY MILES, ALL CONDITIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If it CANT do that, dont reference as a "streetcar".
Bring that street car of yours up here this winter, start it up in 20 below temps and try to follow me and my street car to work. If you can't do that over and over, then yours is just a 'nuther race car
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^youll be driving to work on a snowmobile that time of year!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Bring that street car of yours up here this winter, start it up in 20 below temps and try to follow me and my street car to work. If you can't do that over and over, then yours is just a 'nuther race car
I have reached in the window of my car at 26*F started the car, warmed it up and cruised it. It sits and idles fine, drives fine.

Why would ANYONE drive anything but a beater in those temps?

Bring your heap down here in July and cruise it, 98-100* 85% humidity.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Well guys , I didn't mean to start an argument amungst ourselves , The LS crowd say an LT1 can't run 9's all motor , they laugh and say Ricks spraying the **** out of it . They aren't saying anything about street car or racecar . They say AI is lying and GM Hightech is lying . The one thing I keep telling them is its all in the builder and the tuner , experience can get you there . They say bs .
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cat back 21
Well guys , I didn't mean to start an argument amungst ourselves , The LS crowd say an LT1 can't run 9's all motor , they laugh and say Ricks spraying the **** out of it . They aren't saying anything about street car or racecar . They say AI is lying and GM Hightech is lying . The one thing I keep telling them is its all in the builder and the tuner , experience can get you there . They say bs .
Then, they aren't as smart as they think they are
Old 08-07-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont WANT a racecar, although my STREETCAR is as quick as most RACECARS in this section motor to motor.

I am getting a little tired of full out racecars being called a streetcar just because it has an OD trans and runs on "pumpgas" you can buy 100 octane out of the pump ya know. You can aslo run MORE cylinder pressure with LESS cam than I have, cam numbers dont tell the whole story. Nor does static compression ratio.
not trying to debate the whole street car or not thing but just to add onto your point that many guys claim pump gas but are actually running 93 with meth injection ontop.

I can understand Fatboy's problem in that many people assume a car like Rick's is a standard or easily acheivable for SR LTx cars when it is anything but that. Such a mindset can take away from the merits of his own vehicle and make it seem like an underperformer in comparison simply because on paper they seem like comprable builds, when in reality they are very different builds with very different goals.

Last edited by myltwon; 08-07-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I have reached in the window of my car at 26*F started the car, warmed it up and cruised it. It sits and idles fine, drives fine.

Why would ANYONE drive anything but a beater in those temps?

Bring your heap down here in July and cruise it, 98-100* 85% humidity.
26* ain't the same as 20 below David. You are the one that stated "all conditions", and that's just one of the conditions I drive my "heap" in.
Not to mention bucking a foot of snow, and ice covered roads.. 98-100 degrees at 85% humidity, won't be a problem for my "heap" either It gets that hot and humid up here too. Nothing new for me.

BTW I'll match the looks of the underside of my heap against the looks of yours any day.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Do you ever wish the nut swingers would just go away?

9's N/A can and have been done, your going to need either deep pockets or alot of knowledge, but lots of both would make it easier. I'm not even getting started on build time and seat time.

-Dustin-
Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
26* ain't the same as 20 below David. You are the one that stated "all conditions", and that's just one of the conditions I drive my "heap" in.
Not to mention bucking a foot of snow, and ice covered roads.. 98-100 degrees at 85% humidity, won't be a problem for my "heap" either It gets that hot and humid up here too. Nothing new for me.

BTW I'll match the looks of the underside of my heap against the looks of yours any day.
So you drive it in those conditions REGULARLY? And how quick is it?

Mine is a handfull in the rain, much less snow and ice. Wouldnt even try it.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

To the OP,

Steve Quinn ran 9.70's with a 370 inch LT1 AT LEAST 8 years ago.

Mindgame ran 9.70s with a six speed 383 LT1 he drove to work. 8 or so years ago.

Ben Moore ran 9.80's with a 383 LT1 5 or so years ago, stock ECM and Opti.

All the above cars were all motor, no power adders.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I wanna see This guy^^^^^^^(Gizmo) build a 396. Id bet it goes 9s NA
What makes you think that I would need a stroker?

Quick Reply: 9 sec LT1 all motor ???