LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

9 sec LT1 all motor ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
So you drive it in those conditions REGULARLY? And how quick is it?

Mine is a handfull in the rain, much less snow and ice. Wouldnt even try it.

Everyones idea of a streetcar is different, but the fact is there is only one definition......DRIVE IT, MANY MILES, ALL CONDITIONS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. If it CANT do that, dont reference it as a "streetcar".
Does it matter how quick it it? It's a street car, same as yours.
Mine is a handful too but that's what "all season tires" are for

You made the statement, and set the "standards" as "FACT" in this debate, Are you saying yours won't meet "all the conditions"? Mine will and does. Sounds like a backpedal to me. Funny how people set standards for streetcars/racecars and keep manipulating the standards to fit their argument.

The OP asked about 9 second all motor LT1s. I didn't see where he required confirmation whether they were street cars or full out racecars. You always seem to throw that in on these threads.

I'd be glad to come to Alabama to take up your challenge to run in100* weather at 85% humidity, but it would be a worthless challenge because up here in MI we have the same weather conditions, so I'd have no problem meeting the challenge. You need to DRIVE your car up here next January to try to keep up with us Yankees. That would be more of a challenge (for you anyway.) Then you can prove to all that you have a TRUE "street car" That meets all the standards you have set for the rest of us.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Here's a pic of my heap just so you know it's not a "beater"

Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I NEVER said Rick knows who I am, nor have I ever compared my car to his, There is NO comparison, I have a street car he has a racecar. OTHER people have compared mine to his in the streetcar/racecar aspect. As in Speed demon, who STILL doesnt get it, nor will he ever(I dont think)
I really don't understand why you care. Each of us builds according to our own plan. Your car is not the average street car. More power to you for sticking with the LTX.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Southerners do not comprehend the seasonal temp swings we get this far north. Gets basically just as hot but not as consistently and gets a whole lot colder.

You are dead right about people manipulating criteria to try and win an argument.

Let's point out the "differences" between Rick's car and Fatboy's again, the biggest difference being the PERFORMANCE.

He wants to pretend the rollbar is a weight handicap but EVERYONE I have spoken to says the way they stiffen the chassis improving the launch more than enough to offset the weight.

It still runs a full second better despite "less" cylinder head, "less" intake, less compression. I really don't think the weight of an exhaust system would slow him down a full second.

How many of the other 9 second NA LT1s use a 23 degree LT1/LT4 head? I know Ed's does, how about the others?
How many have done it with the "huge handicap" most of you see the LT style manifold as. Again I know of Rick and Ed how about the others?

Some cars go fast on copious amounts of cash, others go fast on knowledge. IMO Rick's is a wonderful example of knowledge, nothing exotic or one off, all of it is off the shelf easily bought stuff. Nobody else has come close to duplicated it yet because you have kids like Fatboy telling them they have to spend more converting all kinds of stuff. By kids I am not refering to age either.

The street car/racecar thing is very subjective so stick to comparing DETAILS of builds rather than that label.

One guy calls a car with AC/ABS/power seats/windows/antenna, fullsize front tires etc. a street car, the next runs around on frontrunners, with manual windows/steering, raceing seats, no radio, no sound deadening, no air, drag brakes, heim jointed everything, solid motor mounts and all a street car. You want to figure out what actually works look at details not labels.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GIZMO
What makes you think that I would need a stroker?
Lol!! I dont think you need a stroker I wanna see one!! With a TB, stock ported heads and Intake Im sure you would already be iin the 9s.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Lol!! I dont think you need a stroker I wanna see one!! With a TB, stock ported heads and Intake Im sure you would already be iin the 9s.
I really don't feel that anything bigger than the stock throttle body is needed.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Here's a pic of my heap just so you know it's not a "beater"

NICE CAR! Underhood pics?

I have driven my car in all the conditions that are to offer where I live and it does JUST fine. Cant say what it would do in your climate, never been in it.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Southerners do not comprehend the seasonal temp swings we get this far north. Gets basically just as hot but not as consistently and gets a whole lot colder.

You are dead right about people manipulating criteria to try and win an argument.

Let's point out the "differences" between Rick's car and Fatboy's again, the biggest difference being the PERFORMANCE.

He wants to pretend the rollbar is a weight handicap but EVERYONE I have spoken to says the way they stiffen the chassis improving the launch more than enough to offset the weight.

It still runs a full second better despite "less" cylinder head, "less" intake, less compression. I really don't think the weight of an exhaust system would slow him down a full second.

How many of the other 9 second NA LT1s use a 23 degree LT1/LT4 head? I know Ed's does, how about the others?
How many have done it with the "huge handicap" most of you see the LT style manifold as. Again I know of Rick and Ed how about the others?

Some cars go fast on copious amounts of cash, others go fast on knowledge. IMO Rick's is a wonderful example of knowledge, nothing exotic or one off, all of it is off the shelf easily bought stuff. Nobody else has come close to duplicated it yet because you have kids like Fatboy telling them they have to spend more converting all kinds of stuff. By kids I am not refering to age either.

The street car/racecar thing is very subjective so stick to comparing DETAILS of builds rather than that label.

One guy calls a car with AC/ABS/power seats/windows/antenna, fullsize front tires etc. a street car, the next runs around on frontrunners, with manual windows/steering, raceing seats, no radio, no sound deadening, no air, drag brakes, heim jointed everything, solid motor mounts and all a street car. You want to figure out what actually works look at details not labels.

Abare went a 9.58? I missed that one.

A 23* head is a 23* head, who is to say Abare's heads havent been "rolled" a couple of degrees? Yes my heads are bigger, so I can run less camshaft. It does EXACTLY what it was meant to do, peak at 6500 rpm. Impossible is the word I heard from you with such big heads/intake and solid roller. Both sets are aluminum. I was told my heads and intake were MUCH to big to do what I am doing with them.............it works and the car will go quicker with the upcoming changes. Low 10's in my future.

I was cracked for HAVING a roll BAR in my car by Phil and Speed Demon. My ET REQUIRES it. If I need it I got it, it is heavily padded where it needs to be. A 3600lb car going 126 mph carries ALOT of energy.

My car was just as stiff without it. I have HUGE Global West frame connectors welded in the car also. So yes it is a weight handicap.

SO Caprice, if its SO easy why is Abare the ONLY car doing it? How many LT1 REAL streetcars run what mine does on motor? I am as fast as some of the top running LT1 racecars out there now motor to motor with them in race trim. Similar setups on all 3 cars, they are both lighter and setup for spray. But I make similar power and run similar ET on pumpgas and with a FULL intake and Ex system to the back bumper.

The only Ai STREETCAR I know of close to me is the Green T/A he is .7 slower at the moment but has alot left to get yet. And he will.

So should I gut my car, put on a BS3 system, turbo 400 with a brake, slicks to search for the nines? Hell no I got a streetcar Caprice. I bet ya this, with the right converter, 4 hole throttlebody and a retune I can touch the low 10's with my combo I was told would never work. And still streetdrive it just like I do now with a stock ecm and opti.

My car is run on the track just like it drives on the street, only thing I do is put minimum fuel to run the car, loosen the shocks and let the tires down. Air filter stays in. Could I change some things and go for a number? SUUUURE Put one aluminum seat in, put 0-20 in the pan, trans fluid in the rear end, remove the exhaust, put some slicks on, put a track tune in it. It would run low 10s like that no problem dont ya think? Prolly 10.30 ish I would guess.

Now put the 4 hole throttlebody on, lighter non lockup converter with the CORRECT stall speed, a re-tune.... I MIGHT get into the 10.0's. Of course this all theoretical of course...but you see there is more to be had in this combo.

This car runs VERY rich, the tune has not been tweaked since it was Ed Wrights dyno with two wounded pistons and a IAT wire that was broken.

I already have the 4 hole TB, figuring out how to get it on the car.

Funny how you compare my car to one that goes everywhere on a trailer. LMAO.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I really don't feel that anything bigger than the stock throttle body is needed.
What size were those injectors again Gizmo?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Launching!

NICE CAR! Underhood pics?

I have driven my car in all the conditions that are to offer where I live and it does JUST fine. Cant say what it would do in your climate, never been in it.
Refresh my memory again, what's the specs on your motor
David, I'm not trying to get into some sort of argument like you see on the bullet, but not everyone agrees on just what costitutes a street car vs a racecar. My opinion is that if it can legally be driven on the street (regardless of it's manners,) then it's a street car. Yes, that leaves the door wide open for all kinds of combinations. You have in your sig that your et is from an all motor car. I'm interested in knowing just what's in that motor.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Why is it so impressive?????

Joe Overton ran LOW 9's ALL MOTOR in like friggin 2003..... LT1...... Yeah it was a light car and it was pretty much a racecar but who cares.....

I don't know why this is news to everybody.....

FWIW, I have a racecar..... that i can drive on the street... LOL
Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Joe O went 9.30's he is king of all motor Lt1's race car or not!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quinn had an LT1 intake on his for a good while.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Wasnt Joe O in the 9's about the same time the LS1 emerged? Pretty sure Steve Quinn was, as was Mindgame with a stick streetcar.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
26* ain't the same as 20 below David. You are the one that stated "all conditions", and that's just one of the conditions I drive my "heap" in.
Not to mention bucking a foot of snow, and ice covered roads.. 98-100 degrees at 85% humidity, won't be a problem for my "heap" either It gets that hot and humid up here too. Nothing new for me.

BTW I'll match the looks of the underside of my heap against the looks of yours any day.
See lots of Lambos and Ferraris in that weather on the streets? Nope, must not be street cars. Any Busa's? Must not be street bikes, cmon now!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Wasnt Joe O in the 9's about the same time the LS1 emerged? Pretty sure Steve Quinn was, as was Mindgame with a stick streetcar.
Pretty sure he was in the low 10's, like 10.XX in 2002, then came the 9's, so the LS1 had plenty of time to catch up.

-Dustin-
Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 97blkz
See lots of Lambos and Ferraris in that weather on the streets? Nope, must not be street cars. Any Busa's? Must not be street bikes, cmon now!
The voice of reason. I will not risk my investment to prove a point. 85 miles on the interstate in 100* heat proves my point mines a streetcar. Can sit in traffic in the same heat for hours on end. I pull up at the pump and in goes 93 octane.

Most cars come out in the winter because its easier to keep them cool.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I lived in Cleveland Ohio and anyone that has a Fbody, stang, vetter etc put them away in Oct and broke em back out by April. I now live in steamy hot Fl, if your **** aint a street car it will not make it in this god awful trafic and heat (I like the heat).
Old 08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97blkz
I lived in Cleveland Ohio and anyone that has a Fbody, stang, vetter etc put them away in Oct and broke em back out by April. I now live in steamy hot Fl, if your **** aint a street car it will not make it in this god awful trafic and heat (I like the heat).
Good 4 U

Last edited by Michigan Skip; 08-09-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

It is good for me, thx for noticing!

Quick Reply: 9 sec LT1 all motor ???