LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, Im not sure if you already got your question answered. I was just having a ton of trouble even recording a file as instructions were vague.

I had to put the file in a zip folder, (any folder renamed .zip, or compressed into a zip folder via the windows option) to email it. Once in a zip folder it was visible to my yahoo mail attachments.

Hope this helps.

ZACH
Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITEBOY_ZACH
Sorry, Im not sure if you already got your question answered. I was just having a ton of trouble even recording a file as instructions were vague.

I had to put the file in a zip folder, (any folder renamed .zip, or compressed into a zip folder via the windows option) to email it. Once in a zip folder it was visible to my yahoo mail attachments.

Hope this helps.

ZACH
You da man!

UP TOP!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

This looks like its going to be a useful thread, some good info keep it coming.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

I am pretty new to the Camaro world, but one of the first things I noticed was how few people here are talking about tuning their own LT1's.

I have a modded Grand Prix GTP, and pretty much everyone that runs 13.5's or lower tunes their own cars, and there is a huge wealth of information on tuning on both public and private forums along with a basic 100 page tuning guide. Maybe it is because they are FI and require more tweaking due to temp/humidity changes. I have been tuning my car for 3 years with a DHP Powrtuner that has access to about 200 tables.

After the initial learning curve, tuning is surprisingly easy.

Hoping to pick up a tuner soon for my LT1. On the GTP forums one of the first things recommended when people ask about mods is a tuner.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

This Datamaster/Vista deal is irritating me. I downloaded Winzip, cant get the datalog zipped up, find it and mail it through yahoo. What a PITA.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

OK I did a WOT log, but since I havent figured out how to send or post it I will give you guys the vital numbers and tell me what you think. No wideband, but its on the way. This run was from 30-125 mph.

Key on engine off MAP reading 103.5 KPA
Max WOT MAP was 102.1, stayed over 100 the whole run. I was told that excellent, no intake restriction to speak of.

Max maf reading was 367 Gs

Iat started at 97.4 degrees by the end of the run was 93.7, gotta love that ram air hood.

Left o2 866-884

Right o2 895-928

Spark advance 34*

1-2 shift occured at 6200, WTF kinda low huh?

Why is the RPM/RPM 16 readings not in snyc? Sometimes they are as much as 500rpm apart.

Looks to be rich by the O2's.

Question, why is the RPM/RPM16 not in sync? As as 500 rpm off

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
This Datamaster/Vista deal is irritating me. I downloaded Winzip, cant get the datalog zipped up, find it and mail it through yahoo. What a PITA.
I had trouble at first finding Datamaster and TC files with Vista. I noticed one day that when you call up explorer, there is an icon that says compatability. I am able to find my files now;
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM
12 Second Club

RPM

This displays the current engine RPM. Note that sometimes during initial engine starting this value will be shown as extremely high as the PCM attempts to sync-up with the engine. If the RPM value falls below 500 RPM, the label will turn yellow to indicate a pending stall condition. Note that the GM datastream limits this value to 6375 RPM maximum.

RPM16

This displays the current engine RPM as calculated from the Distributor Reference Pulse (DRP) rate. This allows displaying RPM Values well above the 8-bit datastream limit of 6375 RPM.

Note that because DRP is measured at a slightly different point in time, and with greater precision than the ‘normal’ RPM calculation, the value is often 10-15 RPM different than the ‘normal’ RPM reading. This will be particularly evident during hard acceleration.

the above is from the datamaster help section
Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I just need someone to write up a "datalog" guide, start to finish..On how to record,save and email datalogs..Then, I'll worry about uploading updated files.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Launching!

OK I did a WOT log, but since I havent figured out how to send or post it I will give you guys the vital numbers and tell me what you think. No wideband, but its on the way. This run was from 30-125 mph.

Key on engine off MAP reading 103.5 KPA
Max WOT MAP was 102.1, stayed over 100 the whole run. I was told that excellent, no intake restriction to speak of.

Max maf reading was 367 Gs

Iat started at 97.4 degrees by the end of the run was 93.7, gotta love that ram air hood.

Left o2 866-884

Right o2 895-928

Spark advance 34*

1-2 shift occured at 6200, WTF kinda low huh?

Why is the RPM/RPM 16 readings not in snyc? Sometimes they are as much as 500rpm apart.

Looks to be rich by the O2's.

Question, why is the RPM/RPM16 not in sync? As as 500 rpm off
That timing seems kind of conservative to me but for safety I can see it.

Your maf reading seems far too low for the power you are making, I guess whoever tuned it made up for that in the pe tables. Its not a ported maf or something weird is it?

Narrow band o2 readings look ok to me but you can't trust them as far as you can throw them. On my car 930-940mV is 13.2 air fuel on the wideband. Then there are a lot of people who try to tune to 900 with narrow bands. Let me tell you it can be all over the place with mV to a/f depending on the car the day and the brand of o2 even ambient temps will mess with the o2 readings at wot.

If you enable the ability to see file extensions for the logs like .uni you can just go in and manually change the extension just like renaming a file to something safe like .jpg or .bmp and then it will trick the virus software into thinking the file is ok 99% of the time. It just looks at the extension to tell if the file type is dangerous most of the time.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
That timing seems kind of conservative to me but for safety I can see it.

Your maf reading seems far too low for the power you are making, I guess whoever tuned it made up for that in the pe tables. Its not a ported maf or something weird is it?

Narrow band o2 readings look ok to me but you can't trust them as far as you can throw them. On my car 930-940mV is 13.2 air fuel on the wideband. Then there are a lot of people who try to tune to 900 with narrow bands. Let me tell you it can be all over the place with mV to a/f depending on the car the day and the brand of o2 even ambient temps will mess with the o2 readings at wot.

If you enable the ability to see file extensions for the logs like .uni you can just go in and manually change the extension just like renaming a file to something safe like .jpg or .bmp and then it will trick the virus software into thinking the file is ok 99% of the time. It just looks at the extension to tell if the file type is dangerous most of the time.
It has a Z06 85MM Maf on it. On the timing this car has 12.5 to 1 on pumpgas. When this car was tuned it had the IAT wire open, did not code and was black smoking out the pipe. It hurt two pistons on the dyno that day...I found that later.

Also when I logged the first time I saw I had a bad o2 sensor, was a flatline. why didnt it code? Does it have to have a heater failure to code?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flyinZ
I just need someone to write up a "datalog" guide, start to finish..On how to record,save and email datalogs..Then, I'll worry about uploading updated files.
Sent you a PM. I wrote up a tutorial with pics of the screens so you can Autolog Datamaster runs. I'll send it to you if you want. Autologging is the easiest way to log runs as it automatically names and saves logs for you. Plus if you use the "hotkeys" you can log multiple hotlap runs down the strip, pausing as you run up the return road.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
Sent you a PM. I wrote up a tutorial with pics of the screens so you can Autolog Datamaster runs. I'll send it to you if you want. Autologging is the easiest way to log runs as it automatically names and saves logs for you. Plus if you use the "hotkeys" you can log multiple hotlap runs down the strip, pausing as you run up the return road.
I did this yesterday, works VERY good! But I cant find where the log is stored. You can see and open it when you click file from the main screen. But cant find where it is stored.

Post the procedure Skip.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

I did this yesterday, works VERY good! But I cant find where the log is stored. You can see and open it when you click file from the main screen. But cant find where it is stored.

Post the procedure Skip.
If you run Vista, go to explorer (right click on start button in the lower left corner of your screen.) click on Explorer, Go to where you think your files are, and find a button that says Compatability(up towards the top left of the screen) and click on that to see your files. That's how I finally found mine.
As far as posting the Autologing procedure, I can't post the whole procedure, but I can email it to someone to put on here if they would. It' a Word document.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Launching!

i do most of my tuning on the wideband. i dont use any data logging at all. i know what kind of timing i want and then adjust the fuel trim to the wideband and thats it. i dont like o2's. they are for emissions.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 7.0 camaro
i do most of my tuning on the wideband. i dont use any data logging at all. i know what kind of timing i want and then adjust the fuel trim to the wideband and thats it. i dont like o2's. they are for emissions.
WHen you have the knock sensors disabled like I do, is there an indicator on the wideband or anywhere if knock is occuring, other than audibly? If its audible its bad. My car is on the treshold of using pumpgas.

Seems datalogging provides MUCH info, this Datamaster is incredible.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Launching!

mine was showing knock at idle. so i dont run those either. with your compression you should look into an e85 conversion or a race gas mix with your pump gas.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you guys dissable the knock sensor in tunercats?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Just switch to e85 if you have the injectors and the fuel pump to support it and pick up the power with more timing.

Sorry no way to really tell about knock, the black smoke out of the tailpipes is a surefire sign of it most of the time if the a/f is correct.

When I tune I use datamaster to log the wideband, but the way I tune is a bit different than average. I look at the pe tables to see what air fuel ratio they are commanding and then change the calibration of the maf until the wideband is reporting what the pe tables are commanding. The trick is to adjust certain zones of the maf table by half the % difference between target and commanded air fuel ratio. With a good tune pe vs rpm should be pretty much flat leaning out slightly after peak torque. Flat is ok until you get the maf calibrated.

Once you get the maf calibrated properly, It will allow you to change parts or do whatever and the air fuel ratio will be very close. You can also manipulate the air fuel ratio in any way you want vs rpm to to adjust the fuel curve.

When the maf is a strange one like you have transient fueling will be off so will heavy load at part throttle. As a side effect of that usually you end up with a bunch of trouble with knock retard. Which is why tuners hate ported and aftermarket mafs.

I dont know if you want to get that deep into it but if I were you I would be looking at an open loop speed density tune. The only snag there is it takes a very skilled hand and a bunch of time. Your pcm can loop up values from a table miles ahead of the maf reacting to change in airflow. However it is cake with the ls1 pcm and software now.

I hope there is something useful in there somewhere. Tuning discussions lead to rambling because either you get it all or you don't
Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have some advice or guidance for tuning a big cam'd car? the car idles fine at first startup but as soon as a drive or rev the car it wants to choke out at idle unless i hold a little bit of gas for a second then slowly letoff the idle will settle back down. mostly driving coming to a stop, so i bumped up the iac follower table but it doesnt help, except if i again hold a little throttle and ease off of it, but bc of the forced higher iac it wants to hold like 1500 rpm. so its either dying or idling at 1500 not 1100 like i want. ive leaned out the idle about 15 percent and bumped timing to 40 degrees and it seems to drive alot better, the idle gained a smoother tone but still the choking issue....

Quick Reply: Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?