LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?

I am close to being able to delve off into tweaking the tune on my car. Got the laptop, Datamaster, cable and am about to get a wideband and Tunercats.

I ALREADY have questions. I figured out how to get Datamaster working, made a test idle log, saved it and have been lookng at it. But cant figure out how to e mail it. WHen on yahoo it doesnt show up in the file where the test logs are, the two Datamaster came with do show up. These are .uni files.

Most places shy away from our cars or just flat dont have the tools to do them. I think this could be good info for all of us to learn.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you were banned at one point (maybe still idk) but almost anything you want to know can be found on cz28 in the computer tuning section. I think you can still do a search there and find just about anything you need.

In any case glad to see you're stepping up to try your hand at it, its not half as hard as it seems at first. It will make all the difference in the world when it comes to finding every last bit.

As for the datamaster logs, datamaster is a bit confusing about if its saving a log or not. I had the same trouble at first because the interface is poorly worded. Also be aware you may not have been saving it in the same directory. If you are still sure you took one. Just click on file and down at the bottom it lists i think the last 5 that have been opened or saved.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
I know you were banned at one point (maybe still idk) but almost anything you want to know can be found on cz28 in the computer tuning section. I think you can still do a search there and find just about anything you need.

In any case glad to see you're stepping up to try your hand at it, its not half as hard as it seems at first. It will make all the difference in the world when it comes to finding every last bit.

As for the datamaster logs, datamaster is a bit confusing about if its saving a log or not. I had the same trouble at first because the interface is poorly worded. Also be aware you may not have been saving it in the same directory. If you are still sure you took one. Just click on file and down at the bottom it lists i think the last 5 that have been opened or saved.
Thanks, see this is the stuff I am talking about!

It is there when you click "file" on the log screen, down at the bottom. I know its saved because I can reopen and view it.

Yes I am banned on CZ28, that site is dead as far as our cars go. And the info is old, no one over there races either. All the hardcore guys are over here.

I think we need a Computer diagnostics and tuning section in our own little corner of LS1tech.

Would be nice to have a split deal for Tunercats and LT1 edit as these are (I think) the two most common platforms that are used.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-09-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Subscribing..
Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

I agree. I've got the laptop,cable, Datamasters as well. Id just like to start with datalogs,lol. I'll leave the tuning to the guys who KNOW what they're doing. There is a tuning section on the site, but its more LS bias...But then again, it IS LS1tech
Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 PM
hashtagBMW

Get enough info together and we can get something going but 12 pages of people asking pointless questions isn't so good for the tech side of it eh?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Speed Density
Get enough info together and we can get something going but 12 pages of people asking pointless questions isn't so good for the tech side of it eh?
See what I can do, I got some saved already with some good info.

http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/pcmtuning.htm

http://www.gmtuners.com/eprom/DIY.htm

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/tunetip.html

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-62.html

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/Stan2.php

I downloaded the Datamaster instruction manual here, good all around info in there.
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/datamaster.html

I havent read them all yet, but should get us a good start.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

go to the free tips on lt1pcmtuning.com it probably has the best overview on to how to actually tune lt1s.

hey ws6 if your still in this thread i got my split blms fixed. just had to trim out cylinder 7 a little bit. threw them right in line
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea ive been wanting something like this for awhile. i started on cz28.com a long time ago and that place does suck now. i need to get a good laptop with a serial port, lugging my desktop outside to load tunes is not working out lol
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Launching!

David, you can set up Datamaster to Autolog, which is easiest. Click Options then click Autolog Activated. then when you click to record a session, all you have to do is click start and then stop. * although you can use "hotkeys" to start(spacebar), pause(P) and stop (Esc) and it will automatically save for you. The files will have sequenced Autolog filenames.

It will save them in a folder AUTOLOG within the Datamaster folder that gets created when you install it.

Last edited by Michigan Skip; 08-09-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
See what I can do, I got some saved already with some good info.

http://www.lt1howto.com/articles/pcmtuning.htm

http://www.gmtuners.com/eprom/DIY.htm

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/tunetip.html

http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-62.html

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/Stan2.php

I downloaded the Datamaster instruction manual here, good all around info in there.
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/datamaster.html

I havent read them all yet, but should get us a good start.
Here's another good site for learning the pcm although it doesn't tell much about using the software, it's more for learning what the pcm is doing, so don't know if this link will help or not

http://para.noid.org/~lj/PCM%20Tutorial/PCMtutorial.htm
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C_Rules
go to the free tips on lt1pcmtuning.com it probably has the best overview on to how to actually tune lt1s.

hey ws6 if your still in this thread i got my split blms fixed. just had to trim out cylinder 7 a little bit. threw them right in line
C_Rules Good work, Hope your next trip to the track is much better with all your kinks worked out. I am guessing you got rid of all the misfire gremlins you were suffering with.

Fatboy, I wouldn't say cz28 is dead or that the tuning info there is old news. I assure you the lt1 pcm has not changed in at least a dozen years. I do agree that there is a bunch of misguided folks over there though. I still hang around over there a bit and answer tuning questions and help people unfuck their mail order masterpieces. Mostly I just get a ton of emails and pm's looking for advice. I will never understand spending 10k on a motor and being too cheap to pony up $200 and the time to learn and get it running nuts on. Not saying thats the case with yours since I know Ed was helping you awhile back.

[ps. use the search function in windows to look for the file name of your log and then see what directory it was placed in. Also yahoo may be sketchy about the file extension since its not a common one and choosing not to see it, make sure in the drop down box to attach a file it says all files]

I don't there there needs to be seperate areas for lt1 edit and tunercat. The methods are the same the tables are just called slightly different names. Info should still apply directly since the tables are basically universal.

If there is a section made, I will try and compile some write ups I have done in the past for a sticky if there is enough interest just to help people get their feet wet and understand what they need to know to get started and do things the proper way, or at least the way I have come to understand it.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6t3rror
C_Rules Good work, Hope your next trip to the track is much better with all your kinks worked out. I am guessing you got rid of all the misfire gremlins you were suffering with.
yeah basically fixed it in time for my tranny to lose 3rd and 4th gear

getting it back this week and hoping to hit the track soon.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
David, you can set up Datamaster to Autolog, which is easiest. Click Options then click Autolog Activated. then when you click to record a session, all you have to do is click start and then stop. * although you can use "hotkeys" to start(spacebar), pause(P) and stop (Esc) and it will automatically save for you. The files will have sequenced Autolog filenames.

It will save them in a folder AUTOLOG within the Datamaster folder that gets created when you install it.

I see that, thanks.

While watching my idle test file playback on the top left BLM and int are being highlited in pink and green in certain points of closed loop in the playback, what does this mean?

Also my right o2 has little or no activity in closed or open loop, left has a lot of activity.

Here is where my new file was saved,next to the twp that came with the program

C:\Program Files\TTS\DataMaster OBD1\DM-EE\Testdata

Can i rename files like I want them? As long as they have the .uni extension?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 08-09-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

pink means running rich green means running lean. pink<128 green>128

fyi to really get a good picture of whats going on export your log to excel.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by C_Rules
pink means running rich green means running lean. pink<128 green>128

fyi to really get a good picture of whats going on export your log to excel.
How is that done? Waht does it show you and how?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

you go to play your datamaster file as you normally would. then go to file/export engine data a new window will pop up. here you can select all the parameter you want to export by clicking on the white boxes. start should be set at 1 and count should be the total number of recs which can be found by looking at the upper right hand screen of datamaster. then in the export screen you hit file/save as and it will open another window which you use to pick the datamaster file you are going to export. then once the file is selected just hit the export button.

it will create an excel file you can look at. the benefits of using excel are you can chart things out and see just the numbers you want.

if you have any issues doing it let me know and i'll send you some screenshots.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Launching!

If your o2 isn't switching in closed loop or showing close to the other o2 in open loop (above 500 mv) then you either have an exhaust leak a miss or the sensor is dead.

99% of the time you can ignore the short term trims. The way that they are useful is if its been sitting idling for awhile they should begin to converge around 128. When they do that it shows you that the long term blm has stabilized and is not going to move around much at all. The short terms will continue to oscillate to average stoich fueling.

Part throttle tuning is only good for throttle response and open loop tuning so you get what you command. The thing is as long as the trims are not 108 or 160 (the limits) then the pcm is able to maintain stoich fueling. This of course assumes your o2 sensors are working and switching properly.

Also try to only use corrections other than at idle when you are on the gas moderately for some small period of time. If you make corrections while coasting or engine braking you will chase your tail. The vacuum referenced fuel pressure regs are not terribly exact and under high vacuum it will make the pcm pull fuel almost always. I usually try to get the blms to 128 +- 10. Usually try to get below 128 personally helps a bit with tip in.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I have tried to e mail the test log to Ed Wright through yahoo. WHen I try to attach the file when I click Browse I cant fid it.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

where it says file type make sure you have the option *all files

Quick Reply: Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?