LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where was this info when I was asking lol.

I have been fighting with LT1Edit for a long time gave up and bought a Tune from ION that works great but I still want to do it myself.

However my LT1Edit Software refuses to talk to the car other than to load tunes, it will not let me change a thing, log, save anything it will just upload.

I contacted the maker they want em to pay for an update, **** them I will go to TunerCats and try that out it seems to be the pref'd anyway.

But either way great reads I will look through all this on the plan trip Sat and see what I can learn. Going from Megasquirt where I could change on the fly to this has been a pain esp since I finally figured out the software I have is just screwed up to no end. But I would much rather work on my own tune and make changes looking at my wide band results then anything else.

It will be different since I can not change it on the fly but I think with a little effort I should be able to play with the fuel trims if I need too to make it just perfect and maybe after reading all this information here start playing with timing if there is room too.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see more info on LT1Edit. They used to have a mailing list, but it died. I contacted the manufacturer, and they replied (paraphrasing): Yeah, we know it's down, but we haven't bothered with it since then.
I could go to Tunercats, but I already own LT1Edit and know (pretty much) how to use it. I just have questions about certain tweaks, since my new engine is significantly different from the one I removed.
And I don't think Datamaster works with OBDII cars, just OBDI. I use AutoTap, which works sufficiently for my OBDII vehicle.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To update this thread, I figured out how to find and e mail my datalogs.

Find the files, turn the directory at the top blue and copy it. Or right click the file, go to properties and copy the file path. When you go to e mail to attach files under browse paste the directory in at the bottom and it will take you straight to where the files are.

To make it easier I made a shortcut to the desktop for the "autolog" file. Thats where Datamaster puts the files.

I am learning and as I do I will update. Ed Wright is tuning the car via email and getting close. He is street tuning the car.

I am thinking about getting the new version of Tunerpro and step off into the Abyss LMAO.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what do you use to look at a datalog file?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Great idea Fat boy lol
Old 06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brucer
what do you use to look at a datalog file?
Well, you have to have a datalogger first.

Freescan

TTS Datamaster

Etc
Old 06-20-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have freescan, and have datalogged my car during what i would call a spirited run.

i am also looking at tuner cats. but if tunerproRT is going to remain free, which they state it will always be free, i'm going to look at tunerproRT definetly.

as old as our lt cars are getting i think tunercats, and also the aldl cables are to expensive..
Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have a better chance of meeting the lord than have someone help you out with tuning an obd1 pcm (for free anyway). pcmforless charges you 190 everytime you change your tire size. Do you think the three people tuning these junks want everyone learning how to do it themselves?
Old 06-20-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chas010
You have a better chance of meeting the lord than have someone help you out with tuning an obd1 pcm (for free anyway). pcmforless charges you 190 everytime you change your tire size. Do you think the three people tuning these junks want everyone learning how to do it themselves?
i wouldnt call them pcmforless thats for sure..
Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Well, you have to have a datalogger first.

Freescan

TTS Datamaster

Etc
Look once you get the tune close then you can go to a dyno and fine tune it there. It's hard to tune a car on the dyno much less the street. I have street tuned some cars with sucess but once you go on a dyno thats it. When I tuned my old 355"LT1 that was intially tuned by Futral for a different heads/cam setup, I picked up 35rwhp on the dyno after 16pulls. I kept subtracting fuel and adjusting timing every pull until we ran out of time. Now I tried tuning the car on the street with laptop issues it didn't work. Since I swapped intakes and don't have access to a dyno, I will just spend $400-$500 and hopefully get some tips on tuning from somebody better than I hopefully. If you have plenty time then definately learn how to tune b/c there are only 4-5 tables that I make changes on. Later
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

hm i have a like new akm cable I'll sell for 55 shipped... only used twice and worked perfect. I saw the light and got rid of that crappy stock computer when I had the opportunity, the DFI software is miles ahead of the tunercat stuff and you can tune real-time. run nitrous with the system in closed loop with a wideband. Plus it auto calibrates the VE tables with your wideband input. Plus a ton of other benefits.......
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
hm i have a like new akm cable I'll sell for 55 shipped... only used twice and worked perfect. I saw the light and got rid of that crappy stock computer when I had the opportunity, the DFI software is miles ahead of the tunercat stuff and you can tune real-time. run nitrous with the system in closed loop with a wideband. Plus it auto calibrates the VE tables with your wideband input. Plus a ton of other benefits.......
Ok, but do you how to tune the DFI? If so you still need to rent a dyno and make some tuning adjustments which cost $$$. The DFI is better hands down but I can tune my stock pcm with tunercats and rent a dyno for a few hours@$100-150hr depending so thats $300-$500 so why not pay somebody who does it for a living $500, to fine tune your pcm like Alan, Ed, Moe etc... You are going to spend the same with the dfi but will have a much nicer setup. I am debating on going to an aftermarket engine management now but don't have the $2,000 to spend on a BS3 so going to probably stay stock PCM for now much cheaper. Let us know how your DfI runs is it the same one they use on the stock eliminators?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

yea it's the gen 7 setup, and I can tune just fine obviously tuning on the dyno is a lot easier than tuning on the street, but with the datalogging and real time tuning in DFI there's no reason you can't tune on the street. I did my stock pcm tune (OLSD) on a dyno, A/F was dead on on the dyno in most areas of part throttle... take it on the street and it's suddenly off by 5% in some places. that's where street tuning has its advantages. But being able to run closed loop at WOT going down the track, and tuning in 50 rpm increments will have it's advantages over the stock pcm in consistency and accuracy
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
yea it's the gen 7 setup, and I can tune just fine obviously tuning on the dyno is a lot easier than tuning on the street, but with the datalogging and real time tuning in DFI there's no reason you can't tune on the street. I did my stock pcm tune (OLSD) on a dyno, A/F was dead on on the dyno in most areas of part throttle... take it on the street and it's suddenly off by 5% in some places. that's where street tuning has its advantages. But being able to run closed loop at WOT going down the track, and tuning in 50 rpm increments will have it's advantages over the stock pcm in consistency and accuracy
Yes, but Tim Herrington switched from stock PCM to a Fast and picked up zero horsepower below 7krpms. His stock PCM did have quite a few hours on the dyno but that proves the stock PCM can do a good job of management with the right tuner and dyno time. It can be done both ways. let us kniow your results and I'll post mine sometime soon. Later
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Ran across this and thought it was pretty good...

http://www.dynamicefi.com/Tune_Intro.php

Quick Reply: Can we start a self tuner thread? Or section? Or sticky?