LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Centerforce Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerforce Clutches

What do you guys think about your Centerforce clutches? How do they compare to Spec or Ram?

I started off with a Spec1 and it seemed to grab fine for me and took a pretty good beating for many many miles.

I recently stepped up to the Spec2 and ruined it by the end of the break in period. It was mainly because of a screw up on my part-- I didnt tighten the pressure plate bolts enough which probably caused the plates to slip more than they should have during the break-in period. Long story short I pulled the car apart today and my pressure plate, friction plate, and flywheel surfaces were all black and glazed from excessive slipping.

So even though it was probably my fault the spec2 prematurely shat the bed, I'm a little uneasy on spending another $500 on a spec clutch and I can't really afford McLeod right now.

I've heard Ram is pretty comparable to Spec, but how is Centerforce? I'm considering buying one in the near future.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I killed a Centerforce dual friction in less than 20k. Not quite sure what caused its failure.
I ran a Hays street/strip after that, it treated me alright until the rear main seal leaked and killed it off. Now I'm running a custom built from a reputable clutch shop out of Tampa. Ran me less money then the Centerforce did and will hold up to the abuse I throw at it.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive been beating on mine (centerforce dual friction) for 2 summers now and its still holding strong.

Seems to hold back slicks( well, wannabe slicks.. MT ET streets) at the track no problem too.

For the record, I DO NOT drive this car nice at all either so. Its taken alot of abuse from me
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Centerforce is a good clutch. So is zoom, check them out.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a Centerforce on mine (2 exactly) for the past 12 years and never had a clutch related problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
. So is zoom, check them out.
^^^^^ I run the HP now...very smooth on the street and holding up at the track well.....4400 lb car
Attached Thumbnails Centerforce Clutches-image.jpg   Centerforce Clutches-lt-1-clutches-051.jpg   Centerforce Clutches-lt-1-clutches-053.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
^^^^^ I run the HP now...very smooth on the street and holding up at the track well.....4400 lb car
HP?
Not familiar with that.
More information please.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input guys, I'm definately gonna keep Centerforce in mind in the future.

I ended up picking up another Spec stage2 because of the price-- LMPerformance.com is having a decent sale on Spec clutches plus free shipping. It was like $449 shipped and I couldn't find anyhting by Centerforce, Ram, Zoom, or especially McLeod that had comparable holding ability within that price range.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Kevlar clutches. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I made the right decision and hopefully this one will work better than the last.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

I'm so freakin sick of fixing this car lol, I've nuked my ring and pinion twice in 3 years, had my transmission rebuilt by Six Speeds Inc who less than a year later went out of business, fixed a stupid intake manifold oil leak, a rear main seal leak twice, and an oilpan gasket leak.

The engine's somehow still running strong as hell, and I've walked a few stock M6 LS1 F-bodies, but what the ****?!? How many more problems am I gonna have?!?

Sorry about that, I needed to vent.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a zoom and its pretty good no noise or slipping

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutches