LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car hard to start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car hard to start.

My car hard to start, I prime the fuel pump, then start the car, it try to start for about 5 second, then I try again and it alway start, I mean the car start on second try every time. Car is loose fuel pressure some where. Here what I already check.

1: Replace all the fuel injector 0-rings
2: Test fuel injector for leak , by lift up the injector and prime the pump, I dont see nothing coming out of the injector.
3: Replace fuel filter ( ac delco )

by the way if the tank is full car alway start good, but it get worse when 1/3 of the tank. Could be fuel pump ? cause my fuel pump is really loud. Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
My car hard to start, I prime the fuel pump, then start the car, it try to start for about 5 second, then I try again and it alway start, I mean the car start on second try every time. Car is loose fuel pressure some where. Here what I already check.

1: Replace all the fuel injector 0-rings
2: Test fuel injector for leak , by lift up the injector and prime the pump, I dont see nothing coming out of the injector.
3: Replace fuel filter ( ac delco )

by the way if the tank is full car alway start good, but it get worse when 1/3 of the tank. Could be fuel pump ? cause my fuel pump is really loud. Thanks
Get a fuel pressure gauge hoked up to the schrader valve on your fuel rail. Prime the system. If the pressure immediately drops to zero, you either have a bad fuel pressure regulator or a bad check valve in your fuel pump.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my bros car did the same thing and it was a bad fuel psi regulator. After we primed it, it only went to about 20 then dropped some. So I put a new regulator and perfect now
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did put a fuel pressure check guage in the schrader valve, I prime the system and I think it jump up to 40-50 psi ( I dont remember ) ,but it drop back down to nothing in second.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
I did put a fuel pressure check guage in the schrader valve, I prime the system and I think it jump up to 40-50 psi ( I dont remember ) ,but it drop back down to nothing in second.
The as I said, bad fpr or bad pump.

Quick Reply: Car hard to start.