LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam the LT1 or Clunker the LT1.... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009 | 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

/\ +1, I am getting 20mpg hwy in my car now... Mods in sig..
Old 08-14-2009 | 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
your car would only be more rare if people turned in SS's, and I highly doubt that will happen.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-m...camaro-ss.html

nuff said./

to the op, parts will always give out no matter what kind of car you have or how much you paid for it. A car is only in as good of condition as the parts in it. Same goes for the age of the car in a sense.
Old 08-14-2009 | 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm. Let me think. LT1 car, swapped for Mr. Practical car like this:

Eh, nah. Just couldn't do it.
Old 08-14-2009 | 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could never do that. I just bought a 800 dollar camry and called it a day. Camaro is waiting for a cam swap and what not so I needed a car to drive. Found my beater on wholesale and grabbed it. Done. Don't get rid of that. send it my way if anything. I have a 77 datsun waiting for a lt1.
Old 08-14-2009 | 10:45 PM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Cash for Clunkers...this program is a real shame ,so many good vehicles will be destroyed by this bullsh$t and in the end we will all get screwed.I am curious about how you get this"$4,500".Do you get a check from the government or is this deducted from the purchase price of the new car?

I don't think a member should even start a thread like this.
Old 08-14-2009 | 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seriously, this program is bs. Over at the dealership I work at. I watched them destroy a perfectly good running Chevy truck. A mid 90's 3/4 ton I think. Would've been a great work truck or dd or toy. Anything is better than blowing it up.
Old 08-14-2009 | 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Seriously, this program is bs. Over at the dealership I work at. I watched them destroy a perfectly good running Chevy truck. A mid 90's 3/4 ton I think. Would've been a great work truck or dd or toy. Anything is better than blowing it up.
They have a very clean, late 80's/early 90's Chevy conversion van at my local chevy dealership that somebody clunkerized. It was unlocked, odometer read 75k, and I doubt it had rolled over. Thing had an immaculate leather interior, with a tv and vcr to boot. That would've been an awesome $3,000 van for Pedro to haul his kids around in, or haul his pipes/carpet/wood/whatever. I'm sure it had a TBI 305 or 350 in it, absoultely unkillable motors.

They also had a really nice black Range Rover. Probably an 80's/early 90's, had the round headlights. Although I could understand why somebody would junk one of those POS's. Still would've made a neat trail rig though, and it seemed such a shame considering how nice that particular example was.
Old 08-15-2009 | 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure you have money if you are thinking about getting another car.

$4500 will make a nice dent, but you would probably be paying more in payments than in gas from your LT1...

One of the dealerships near me has a good 20 C4C cars, 90% of them in decent shape, would be a shame if they got stripped before getting crushed
Old 08-15-2009 | 01:19 AM
TECH Veteran

keep the car and **** the government all that will happen to your car which Lt1s people need out here. The dealership will lock up the motor and remove it then send it off to china and smash the car. Therefore we all get fucked out of another Lt1 car and you will be paying an assload of cash for another car. But to each is own.
Old 08-15-2009 | 03:16 AM
Launching!

i hate those stupid small pieace of **** cars with no ***** and look like ****,just keep that lt1 give it some love
Old 08-15-2009 | 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by texas94z
The opti is shitting out in my 94 z28 and i am considering getting out of the LT1 world.

My car qualifies for the clunker program... I have been considering trading in the LT1 for a new car. My car is prob worth 2500, but uncle sam would but it for 4500. Id prob buy a new worry free eco car for the remainder college career. It would be nice getting 35 mpg, having cold ac, and not smelling like exhaust all of the time. It would be a very conservative route for my personality.

or

Change out the opti, throw a cam in, and terrorize mustangs LT1 style for the rest of my college career .

What would you do?

carb ur LT and put it in a truck
Old 08-15-2009 | 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You people gotta be Fu#king kidding me. Im sick and tired of these cash for clunker posts comming up, and im dam sick and tired of ******** donating perfectly good restorible muscle cars Dying to give a fu#king Prius a life. This is the biggest tax scam tree hugging bill clinton loving ******* program there is and all you people who are even members on this site should be banned for doing that. This is a car site to PRESERVE these cars, not to trade them in for some MPG *****. To think i saved my trans am from the crusher so some ******** could trade a nicer one in for a Cobalt. Im in my mid Twenties and if i have kids im gonna feel bad for their generation having absolutly nothing to restore in the future, but *** piles of elecro hybrid crap.
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glocklimited9
You people gotta be Fu#king kidding me. Im sick and tired of these cash for clunker posts comming up, and im dam sick and tired of ******** donating perfectly good restorible muscle cars Dying to give a fu#king Prius a life. This is the biggest tax scam tree hugging bill clinton loving ******* program there is and all you people who are even members on this site should be banned for doing that. This is a car site to PRESERVE these cars, not to trade them in for some MPG *****. To think i saved my trans am from the crusher so some ******** could trade a nicer one in for a Cobalt. Im in my mid Twenties and if i have kids im gonna feel bad for their generation having absolutly nothing to restore in the future, but *** piles of elecro hybrid crap.
well said. i think the whole program sucks but the fact that you wanna send ur nice car to the crusher for a hippie car is BS. i can understand wantin mpg's but PLEASE dont ruin an fbody!
Old 08-15-2009 | 08:20 AM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

I agree totally glocklimited9 .Your car and build thread are awesome I wish that these IDIOT'S could be inspired by your build instead of destroying a good car.
Old 08-16-2009 | 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You should be able to get 20 mpgs with your LT1/T56.
sorry, meant that to be a full city tank, no highway. My car can pull over 20 on the highway no problem, but city drving, ha, yeah right.
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:18 PM
Launching!

agree with glock also, I thought this program was aimed mainly at the truck and suv's that get 12-13 mpg, or actual clunkers, like don't need to change the oil cuz it goes through a quart a week kind of clunker. I don't count a decent fbody or mustang a clunker. Clunker=POS
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is worse than putting your dog down. I would never have a all america muscle car smashed. I just couldn't do I
Old 08-16-2009 | 02:52 PM
Banned

Please for the love of god...don't trade in an fbody for a crappy little throw away car that gets 30mpg. Just go buy a cheap little 1000 dollar honda or toyota to drive back and forth then build the unholy sh*t out of that camaro!
Old 08-16-2009 | 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bowtie, thats what they want you to think the clunker law is, but search around and youll see the mass amounts of mustangs, fbodys, typhoons, cyclones, ect ect.

Mark my words, in 20 years you people will be sorry you crushed a soon to be classic, for a plastic shitbox. Im ashamed at the number or people who trade in a car for this bougus program and actually have the nerve to call themselves car guys.

If your not sure weither you should cam your car or trade it for a prius, then you sir are certantly not a car guy, and by nomeans deserve the right to be on a website among us who love and worship these cars.. Not write them off for scrap

Maybe i am a diffrent type of car guy, but i dont think i am. I for one cant stand when i see a muscle car rotting away in somebodys yard, beaing beat into the ground by a person who thinks its " just a car" or buying save-able cars as parts cars, and im sure alot of you are with me here.

I love the car hunt. Not because i need another project cuz god knows im full of those(other cars i saved from a doomed fate of course) I love the daily ebay and craigslist hunt, i love looking in peoples driveways for that "clunker" rusting away prime for my picking.. all to save it from people like cash for clunkers and to fuel my love and passion of rebuilding and saving something, and making it my own in a way. In a way i think its funny the great lengths we car people go to be what we are.. gettin busted knuckles, rust in your eye ball, deep cut from rusty sheetmetal with your last tetnus shot not so clear, all to make a car go a tenth faster, look a little better, and hopefully put a smile on your face while doing so.. I dont know, im rambling on at this point, but this is just a subject that rattles my bones from a personal, and politial stand point and makes me sick were losing classics well never get back..

I am the other cash for clunkers.. i give you cash for your clunker and turn it into a badass street terror and unlike the government, im always accepting your "clunker"
Old 08-16-2009 | 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree totally. This whole CFC thing is BS. The government needs to figure out what a real clunker is. Here are 2 cars. according to the government one is a clunker and one is not. But according to someone with half a brain, the clunker is the one that is a rusted out beat to **** econo box, but not to the government

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-16-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam the LT1 or Clunker the LT1.... Need advice