LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

headlight retardation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight retardation...

So my headlight has been grinding forever and I always assumed I needed a new motor... I just put one on and it makes the same noise.

Basically the motor senses resistance and turns off right? Mine doesn't. It keeps trying for like 2-3 seconds and buzzes loudly while doing so. I noticed If I grab the manual crank while it's buzzing it stops immediately. Also, if I do that then when I turn the parking lights the headlights don't come up. (they have never worked like this) But if I turn the headlights on and off again they do the buzz thing and then the parking lights make the headlight pop up.

This is VERY obnoxious. What is going on?!?!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stripped gear
Old 08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stripped gear, happened to me and many others locally

bfranker makes a brass replacement one for the shitty OEM nylon gear that will always be prone to wear
Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Launching!

I was thinking stripped gear as well..but you said you replaced the motor. That would replace the gear too...

Here's a link to the brass gear mentioned above.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/
Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could always flip the gear around cuz only 1/2 of the gear is actually used when popping the headlights up/down...someone on here has a write up of how to do it, maybe theyll chime in
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

flipping the gear around will only buy you a little more time...that is, assuming someone who's had the car before you didnt already do it. if you're gonna take the time to flip the gear, you might as well put in brass gears and be done with it. do both headlights so you're not doing this again in 6 mos
Old 08-16-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk40
flipping the gear around will only buy you a little more time...that is, assuming someone who's had the car before you didnt already do it. if you're gonna take the time to flip the gear, you might as well put in brass gears and be done with it. do both headlights so you're not doing this again in 6 mos
flipping the gear takes 10 mins to do and does not require removing/gluing the cover. i did it on my passenger side motor a couple years ago and its still working fine.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
flipping the gear takes 10 mins to do and does not require removing/gluing the cover. i did it on my passenger side motor a couple years ago and its still working fine.
ok, well maybe give it a try then. just thought he may want to do brass so he'd never have to worry about it again..whether its 6 months or 2 years.

btw, i think they make steel gears now as well...not sure why, not like the brass is too soft...but just fyi

Quick Reply: headlight retardation...