LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wiring differences, OBD I-II?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wiring differences, OBD I-II?

OK so we are putting this 96 Impala motor into my friends 94 Formula. Do I have to worry about the sensor in the timing chain(crank position or something?) or is this thing going to just run fine on the OBD-I computer and harness? I didn't think about this.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are going to want to pull the timing cover, and remove the CPS reluctor wheels so you can use the f-body hub. Leave the sensor there to plug the cover. I would use the 96 cover as it will let him upgrade to the vented opti.

Going to want to use the 94 knock sensor as they are different.

The Impala motor will have the dash temp gauge sender in the passenger side head towards the back, swap it to the driver's side since that is where the f-body has it. Actually on my Caprice I moved that sender to the driver's side because it makes dealing with the passenger side header SO much easier.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, yeah I see he had the coolant sensor in the passenger head, its broke off though. I will pull it, I see the plug in the driver side where its normally on the Fbodies, so no biggie there.

Can you explain to me the differences in the hubs? Oh yeah there is no way I'm changing Opti's if I don't have to, this motor was running good and right, I don't want to take anything apart I don't have to. So was planning on using this cover and Opti that is on there already. Do I have to pull the CPS reluctor wheels?

There was a knock sensor in both sides of the Impala motor? I took the one out of the driver side as it was in the way of the Fbody motor mount. The way it connects looks the same though, did they have different resistances than the Fbody knock sensor then?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You will need your old knock sensor. 96capricemgr already mentioned this. OBD-II KSs are a different resistance value.

Caprice accessories use different length hub. Spacing is not the same as the f-body. You will either need to remove the reluctor and use a 93-95 f-body hub or leave the reluctor in and use a 96-97 f-body hub.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The f-body and b-body have different accessory drive depths, that is the serpentine belt is a different distance from the block. The hub determines the balancer distance from the block and the hub seats against the crank timing gear or the cps reluctor which seats against the timing gear. If you want to leave the CPS reluctor in there I suppose you could get a 96-7 hub that is slightly shorter to make room for that reluctor. Otherwise you need to pull the reluctor in order for your current hub to sit at the right depth.

Hope that made sense.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Makes perfect sense. Going to get the 96-97 hub, I have zero desire to pull the Opti or waterpump.

Wish I had the old knock sensor. The motor was knocking, hence the reason for its replacement, and the knock sensor went with the old motor to its new owner. Ah well they don't cost too much, could have been worse.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never knew about the hub difference between the caprice/fbody cars, I knew of the early vs late year hub differences though. Learn something new all the time I guess.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we went to start the car yesterday, I gotta put the battery on a charger or something though, not enough juice to crank the car. The problem though is when the key is turned the windshield wipers are continually on, even though the switch for them is in the off position. Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Wire crossed somewhere..

That would be intersting to see..lol
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Wire crossed somewhere..

That would be intersting to see..lol
It was quite interesting when I tried cranking it with Corey watching. Then he see's the wipers on and I say "****, where is the wiper thing!" He comes over to the side of the car and says "Well it's off....WTF?!" It was a good laugh. Hopefully we can get it sorted out.