LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project Bad Ass True Duals complete. Final pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks fantastic
Old 01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice setup
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
That's gotta be one of the finest systems I've ever seen. I need to try to duplicate it, do you have a part # for the muffler?
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Maganaflow 12468 2.5" dual in/out muffler.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a nasty exhaust. I like the dual cutouts.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's really bad a$$
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

loving it. is your car lowered at all?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ThoR294
loving it. is your car lowered at all?
Nope.
Stock height.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Maganaflow 12468 2.5" dual in/out muffler.
Thanks Bro. I've ordered my Magnaflow X and I went ahead and ordered the Jeg's street rodder exhaust so hopefully that will have everything I need in it to make it work + I have a friend that works for Walker (Dynomax) who is gonna hook me up with one of their 3" Ultra Flo X mufflers, then I should be set. I've ordered my UMI PHB relocater and a new adjustable PHB that I've needed for a while. Just trying to get there from here!

Any tips or trick that you'd recommend or any tough spots to try to get around? I like to be prepared.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Thanks Bro. I've ordered my Magnaflow X and I went ahead and ordered the Jeg's street rodder exhaust so hopefully that will have everything I need in it to make it work + I have a friend that works for Walker (Dynomax) who is gonna hook me up with one of their 3" Ultra Flo X mufflers, then I should be set. I've ordered my UMI PHB relocater and a new adjustable PHB that I've needed for a while. Just trying to get there from here!

Any tips or trick that you'd recommend or any tough spots to try to get around? I like to be prepared.
The Manaflow is actually a knock-off of the Dynomax True-x muffler, so I have been told. Therefore they appear to be nearly the same.

The hardest part is getting the pipes to go over the axle using the stock pipe routing. It is very tight and will require trimming of the upper panhard bracket (not the bar) to get it right along with tons of trial and error fitting of pipes. Since you are going with the upper PHB relocator, things just got much easier for you.

All I did was tack-weld pipes (in three spots) together till the whole thing was done. I used a cutoff saw and a sanding drum to make and dress the cuts. Start at the front and work your way back. Also make sure you use hangers as you go. You want the thing solid as you work toward the back or you will be going in circles. I also used many slip joints so there would be a large amount of adjustability in the pipes. If you weld it all solid, there is little adjustability available. I have had to adjust mine countless times to get it perfectly dialed in.

The one thing that would have made it so much easier would to be to have had access to a lift. Doing it on jackstands and all the trips up and under plus limited access to areas really slowed things down.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The Manaflow is actually a knock-off of the Dynomax True-x muffler, so I have been told. Therefore they appear to be nearly the same.

The hardest part is getting the pipes to go over the axle using the stock pipe routing. It is very tight and will require trimming of the upper panhard bracket (not the bar) to get it right along with tons of trial and error fitting of pipes. Since you are going with the upper PHB relocator, things just got much easier for you.

All I did was tack-weld pipes (in three spots) together till the whole thing was done. I used a cutoff saw and a sanding drum to make and dress the cuts. Start at the front and work your way back. Also make sure you use hangers as you go. You want the thing solid as you work toward the back or you will be going in circles. I also used many slip joints so there would be a large amount of adjustability in the pipes. If you weld it all solid, there is little adjustability available. I have had to adjust mine countless times to get it perfectly dialed in.

The one thing that would have made it so much easier would to be to have had access to a lift. Doing it on jackstands and all the trips up and under plus limited access to areas really slowed things down.
Thanks,

Well I have the lift I'll just need to get my Dad's welder to the shop so trial and error should get it done & if this works I'll be doing his car too. This is prolly gonna be popular so I'm considering a jig.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Well I went to the dyno to try to determine if there are any gains with my new true duals. Only other changes from the last trip to the dyno were the addition of a 58mm TB.

The power gains over the old open Borla catback appears to be around 10 RWHP and 3 RWTQ with the cutouts opened.

With the cutouts closed on the duals, I lost 7 RWHP and 3 RWTQ and still made more power than the closed Borla.

The 58mm may have contribured some as well.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool, I wonder what will happen with my setup. I'm currently running 3" dual dumped with Spintech pro streets.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean
Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, let me start by saying that exhaust if ******* sexy as hell and holy **** does it sound wicked too. That is one bad *** exhaust system and I cant wait to hear a video of that badboy rolling at 40mph.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
OK, let me start by saying that exhaust if ******* sexy as hell and holy **** does it sound wicked too. That is one bad *** exhaust system and I cant wait to hear a video of that badboy rolling at 40mph.
Thanks man.
I keep putting that off. I will once again try to get some vids.

I did however get some vids of the dyno pulls with the cutout open. I will edit and post them ASAP.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I finally got my exhaust done! Basically just like this except 3" & I used bullets. I have a tru x muffler but it didn't allow enough space for the turns in & out of the muffler. I love it!! I have my ground clearance back, it looks stock again and most of all I can put a sticker on my car, I'm happy! Thanks for this idea!!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Good deal.
I can easily see how trying to do 3" pipes and the dual in/out muffler would be nearly impossible. That extra 1/2" diameter takes up much more space where the bends need to be. As you can see in my pics, I barely had room for the 2.5" pipes. In fact that one real tight radius pipe I have exiting the mufler and going to the right tip cost me nearly $90 IIRC. TOTL would have been easier and cheaper plus it would have flowed a tad better but was Hell bent on dual tips.

Did you use the pan hard bar relocator to open up room for the dual 3" pipes over the axle? I cant see how you did it any other way cause its tight up in that pinch. Post some pics.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I would like to se too, since I run a 3 inch with Dyno Bullitts. Mine is offsett to the side and dumped at the axle, but I love how it sounds. Lil loud inside though, like crank the radio as high as she goes. Anyhow I am going to revamp here soon as my lt1 is coming out and going into my Third gen car with a 5 speed. I screwed up and spliced four straight pipes together ggot good coverage, but 2 curved pieces make for a nicer design far as being straighter. I think I am going for over the axle on both sides this time since I am running the 3 inch more for the sound than the performance.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Launching!

Very clean set up you got there bro. Car sounds badass ........
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Nicest dual setup Ive ever seen. I would love to have that. Not a single bad comment in this thread. You should be proud.

Quick Reply: Project Bad Ass True Duals complete. Final pics inside...