LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Cam

I just bought a 1995 firebird formula for 1k, due to a blown head gasket. While I have the motor out I want to install a new CAM, rockers and have the heads ported and polished. What would be a good CAM to install? I like the choppy/aggressive sound at idle. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again, choosing a cam by the sound of the damn idle *rolls eyes*

Not trying to be a dick but theres waaayyy better criteria for purchasing a cam than its sound, that should be a pleasant byproduct, not a design factor.

If you want an off the shelf grind for a street car, I would go with the LPE 211/219. Or have a custom cam ground along those lines (thats what I did).

The CC503 is a decent off the shelf grind too.

A couple of suggestions
DONT jump on the "bigger is better" cam bandwagon
DONT choose a cam based on its idle sound.
DO read the cam sticky at the top of the page!

Good luck, I'll help all I can if you have questions but I'm NOT an expert. I dont even know how my custom grind is gonna run (but on paper its badass ;-)...)

Just beware, there are soooo many differing opinions, and options on camshaft selection that it's mind boggling. All the more reason to do your OWN research so YOU are happy w the end results.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FLORIO1STFORM
I just bought a 1995 firebird formula for 1k, due to a blown head gasket. While I have the motor out I want to install a new CAM, rockers and have the heads ported and polished. What would be a good CAM to install? I like the choppy/aggressive sound at idle. Thanks for your input.
Nice timing, I'm selling my camshaft out of my LT1. If your interested PM me, I'm north of El Paso.

The one I have is called the "CC306" kind of a bigger camshaft, but depends on what mods you want or have to how well it will respond. Do a search for it and you'll find some results.

Right now searching will give you more info on what to do than posting questions.

-Dustin-
Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lunati 60121 works great for stock shortblock/stock heads and I am sure it would love a set of ported heads. Bone stock with just supporting mods my car made 339rwhp/345 ft lbs, video is in sig. It is on a 112 lsa so it has a nice little lope to it, nothing radical but you can tell it is in there.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
The CC503 is a decent off the shelf grind too.

A couple of suggestions
DONT jump on the "bigger is better" cam bandwagon
DONT choose a cam based on its idle sound.
DO read the cam sticky at the top of the page!
I was actually going to do the CC503, Been proven many times to be a great cam only set up, and it will do great with P&P heads...

READ THE STICKY ABOUT CAM'S
It helped me A LOT!

Kris
Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

The other grind I forgot to mention is the Crane227. There have been cars do IMPRESSIVE things with that cam too for such a "little" cam.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

There are ALOT of questions you have to ask yourself to figure out what cam is right for you. A cam will make or break a car that is why it's very critical to do alot of research first. I suggest reading the cam sticky I made at the top of this forum to start.

Some questions to ask yourself could be:

How high am I willing to rev the motor?
DD or weekend warrior?
If Manual what gears am I willing to put in it?
If Auto what size stall am I willing to put in it?
Do I want to focus on the low-end, mid-range, or top-end?
etc. etc.

The list goes on and on but like gregbob said please do not be one of those people to pick a camshaft because of the sound. Most people just spring for massive cams because they sound cool but they are actually bad for what they really want or else they spring for the hot cam because they've heard of it for the past 10 years and seen it in Summit's catalog. If you do your research you will in the end have a stout setup that works well for YOU.

Something else to point out...when you add heads or port your heads you boost your powerband so you do not want to go too big on the cam with the stock bottom end. IMO something in the 22x intake duration range is just right but that's just me. There are many nice camshafts available just depends what YOU yourself wants. Good luck!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

i was going to buy the same car and Put the motor and trans in a 3rd gen guess you beat me to it lol...
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
There are ALOT of questions you have to ask yourself to figure out what cam is right for you. A cam will make or break a car that is why it's very critical to do alot of research first. I suggest reading the cam sticky I made at the top of this forum to start.

Some questions to ask yourself could be:

How high am I willing to rev the motor?
DD or weekend warrior?
If Manual what gears am I willing to put in it?
If Auto what size stall am I willing to put in it?
Do I want to focus on the low-end, mid-range, or top-end?
etc. etc.

The list goes on and on but like gregbob said please do not be one of those people to pick a camshaft because of the sound. Most people just spring for massive cams because they sound cool but they are actually bad for what they really want or else they spring for the hot cam because they've heard of it for the past 10 years and seen it in Summit's catalog. If you do your research you will in the end have a stout setup that works well for YOU.

Something else to point out...when you add heads or port your heads you boost your powerband so you do not want to go too big on the cam with the stock bottom end. IMO something in the 22x intake duration range is just right but that's just me. There are many nice camshafts available just depends what YOU yourself wants. Good luck!
Exactly...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

i have an isky 233/241 110lsa .590 lift for sale, might be a little radical for stock cubes though.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Might be?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Veteran

id say a cc 305 0r 503 for you
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Might be?
if hes looking at ported heads i dont think its too much for an m6 car
Old 08-29-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Might be?
It's not that big...why is everyone so terrified of cam size on this board? I want to know how many people who claim camshafts are too big have actually run larger camshafts or just vomit up what was rammed down their throats. Then you have to ask, too big for what? A strip car, a daily, a grandma borrows it on bingo night, a I also use my camaro to pull a camper?

That Isky cam has less duration and lift than the GM847 that works damn good in a 350-355ci application.

-Dustin-
Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

With ported heads and a driver / setup that will spin it up, you're right.

On stock heads / stock bottom end (rod bolts), just, no.

Quick Reply: Cam