Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you go for it i have faith
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of laughed and stopped reading when you said you were building a 355 to try and meet your goals.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
1) My build would NOT have an opti, or stock computer

2) I dont see why you guys are so convinced that ~30 more cubes is a huge advantage. Just spin the smaller engine another 1000 rpms and you have the same air in <> air out ie volumetric efficiency ie hp potential as the larger cubed engine...
Tq curve and average power, and the ability to use a larger cam with larger runner heads. Using your example, what happens when you spin the 396 or 383 that same 1,000 rpm extra???

Bigger cubes will always make more power with identical combos, period.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
9 Second Club

Well good luck on it... A 355 can be a nasty little motor but man it's gonna be tough to do with that piece of royal **** LT1 intake. I don't care how you port it, polish it, **** on it, have sex with it, have the pope bless it, weld it, throw it up and kick it, it's gonna be crazy trying to get that thing to flow enough air at those RPM's to make power at the RPM's youre talking..... If you said you were gonna shift at like 7K or so I'd be like Okay... but a 9K cutoff and you mentioned 7500 rpm shift points? I don't think that's gonna happen...

BTW what is the record right now??? Naturally aspirated 6 speed LT1??? Is it Taner or is it that one dude from Louisiana that ran 9's with the stock computer??? the one that was in GMHTP???

Oh and something else from your buildup that might help. I know you said lexan but i would seriously consider a VFN fiberglass hatch. The lexan is good to drop about 30 lbs but lexan WITH the fiberglass hatch drops like 130..... that's a hundred pounds bro. You could get that car down pretty light if you get rid of that gigantic steel hatch...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed with outlaw. Getting the car light is going to help ALOT, and the stock LT1 intake is going to be heard pressed to flow where he wants it to. I personally think that it can be done with a 355, would it be a little bit easier with a 383 or 396...YES, for obvious reasons, but can a very, very well built 355 keep up with a well built 396....YES we see it all of the time where someone has a mismatched combo running slower than it should.

Basically I say if you want 355 then go for it, it may only be for your bragging rights, but either way it should be cool to see it go down the track
Old 09-01-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Why not a converted 15 or 18 degree headed LT1? That should help get you there as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ The stock hatch weighs almost the same as the vfn one. The stock one is smc or something like that. It is a composite material similar to fiberglass.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
going with a 355 just for those reason is just a built-in excuse if you lose to someone with a "bigger motor", because in the end who's in front is all that really maters unless you're going for a very specific record. more cubes will only make everything you want to do that much easier and driveable, not to say it can't be done but why limit yourself if you're buying all new rotating assembly components, that difference in cost is minimal

like fastfatboy said 23 degree heads isn't goin to make your goal easy, especially limiting yourself on cubes

WTF going with a 355 is a built in excuse no the reason i want a 355 is not just in case i lose, its so that when i beat people with bigger cubes i can laugh and say wow the little 355 that could just opened a case of whoop *** on u.

and im done with the bashing of the idea the reason i posted this is to get possitive input on my build so that i can make neccessary changes to it if i have to and yes i probably will change the intake setup but as far as the motor goes 355 stamped in steel, and i know it will be harder but trust me my dad has been drag racing and has been around it since most of u guys were in diapers and he even told me it will be more of a challenge but if i succeed its going to be a bad MF, and so far most people on here think that way as well so if u have anything negative to say i dont want to hear it

outlawz im ready to take any info or advice u have for me after all ur car is one bad MF, and thanks to everyone that supports me in this build
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Agreed with outlaw. Getting the car light is going to help ALOT, and the stock LT1 intake is going to be heard pressed to flow where he wants it to. I personally think that it can be done with a 355, would it be a little bit easier with a 383 or 396...YES, for obvious reasons, but can a very, very well built 355 keep up with a well built 396....YES we see it all of the time where someone has a mismatched combo running slower than it should.

Basically I say if you want 355 then go for it, it may only be for your bragging rights, but either way it should be cool to see it go down the track
Thanks man yeah im anxious to see what it is going to be like, it should sound pretty nassty and hopefully make some crazy numbers

i just want everything to be setup perfectly

and weight is my number one concern if anyone has suggestions on more weight reduction its greatly appreciated
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast93Z
Thanks man yeah im anxious to see what it is going to be like, it should sound pretty nassty and hopefully make some crazy numbers

i just want everything to be setup perfectly

and weight is my number one concern if anyone has suggestions on more weight reduction its greatly appreciated
Check out Beaflag VonRathburg's build thread. There is ALOT of good info there on where to take metal out and pics to go with it.

I just say to build what you want to, if you want to do it with a 355 don't let these guys get you down. Me and my brother have been throwing the idea around of a destroked 350, probably around 300-325 cubes for a turbo motor. Its just a little different than everyones stroker motors.

Another thing to consider is getting a newer t56, I heard that the 93s are different or have a different gear set in them and aren't as strong. I can't honestly remember, but if your sending it out to get build (which is probably a good idea) I don't know if it would matter or not.

Keep this updated or start a new thread once the motor starts making some progress, I always like seeing build threads
Old 09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

the 93 6 speed is the m29 I believe

WTF going with a 355 is a built in excuse no the reason i want a 355 is not just in case i lose, its so that when i beat people with bigger cubes i can laugh and say wow the little 355 that could just opened a case of whoop *** on u.
I'm just saying man, you want to go fast on a 6 speed, stock stroke, stock intake 18 year old platform, LTx is already considered a fairly "limited" platform in this day and age why limit yourself further? I understand the desire to want to stay 6 speed, but the others will be hurting more than helping with your first setup trying to break records that people have dialed in over years. not saying you can't go fast but you seem to want to put alot of hurdles infront of yourself. I could understand such limitations if you were on a budget mindset but you have the mindset of record breaking which is a big money game.

the real question in the end is do you want the stock stroke, stock casting intake, 6 speed record or the 6 speed LTx record? I guarentee both cars in both realms are going to be fairly apart in ET
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

and im done with the bashing of the idea the reason i posted this is to get possitive input on my build so that i can make neccessary changes to it if i have to and yes i probably will change the intake setup but as far as the motor goes 355 stamped in steel, and i know it will be harder but trust me my dad has been drag racing and has been around it since most of u guys were in diapers and he even told me it will be more of a challenge but if i succeed its going to be a bad MF, and so far most people on here think that way as well so if u have anything negative to say i dont want to hear it

outlawz im ready to take any info or advice u have for me after all ur car is one bad MF, and thanks to everyone that supports me in this build
Using more than one period in 3 paragraphs will go a long way in helping to strengthen your argument. Showing you know what you are talking about with specifics is the best way, but proper use of the English language is the basis. Go to speedtalk and see how many of the educated automotive people on there type like what you post in this thread. That is just a tip for being better perceived as educated in what you are typing about. Your posting manner is part of the reason everyone is discrediting your idea. I've personally given up on reading your posts.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope your dad also has $25+ G's to lend ya as well...going fast with the restrictions you are putting on yourself won't be cheap!

Don't let any of the comments stop you from trying for yourself though. I still wish you the best of luck and hope you prove us wrong
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I respect what you are trying to do. The old school comp eliminator mentality(before the big money guys) was to make the most of what you could get a hold of, now its a battle of the bank accounts. I guess all motorsports are that way now though. I miss the days of backyard inginuity and wringing out what ya got. Not many people today understand that, they would rather just open their wallet.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
I respect what you are trying to do. The old school comp eliminator mentality(before the big money guys) was to make the most of what you could get a hold of, now its a battle of the bank accounts. I guess all motorsports are that way now though. I miss the days of backyard inginuity and wringing out what ya got. Not many people today understand that, they would rather just open their wallet.

We have a winner, I couldnt agree with that statement anymore than what he said, i wish people had that mentallity. That paragraph should be imprinted on stone. And it is entirely true when my dad and his friends were our age he had nothing but a beat up 69 chevelle and a bullshit motor, they built it in the backyard using parts they found and he had that thing running 9.80's.

And i dont have a **** ton of money laying around, but what i do have is that im surrounded by knowlegeable people that have been around it. Including everyone in my area that i live, as well as the people on this forum so hopefully i can use that to my advantage.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a 408 over the 355 to begin with.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
How about a 408 over the 355 to begin with.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Yo my bad i havent been updating things been dealing with some crap.

but yeah my friend thats doing the motor thinks we should change things up on the build were gonna build 358ci lt1 shortblock, 13.5:1, 6in rod, and 3.48 stroke. WP 18 SP C AP 18° heads 295 cc intake, 57 cc combustion chamber, and 2.180/1.625 valves. custom fabbed for lt1, as well as a custom intake with carb, and still N/A with a built t56 that i just got back from the shop.

i wanted to get everyones opinion ill try to post pics tomorrow of the build so far
Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

just pics of the engine bay
Attached Thumbnails Finally figured out my build-photo.jpg   Finally figured out my build-painting.jpg  
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Looks like Taner, he is on spray and has been a 9.08.

Look up 94formula on here, he went 10.30's with a 355 LT1 and a six speed all motor.

Your talking about 95formula. His combo is so simple but he makes it work.

Quick Reply: Finally figured out my build