LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally figured out my build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally figured out my build

Ok to start out im shooting for the fastest N/A t-56 lt1, i dont mean anything by it b/c i respect everyone on this forum, but thats what im going for.

Powerplant: is forged 13.5:1 355 lt1 shortblock built by my friend Mike with Fig Performance racing engines: im putting custom 215 cc ported dart heads from AI, custom SR cam from AI. race ported intake from AI, and an AS&M 58 mm TB, 42lb delphi injectors, custom an fitted fuel rails, and a 5 gallon fuel cell with inline pump to feed this thing. Bottom end is SRP piston, forged h beam rods, and a forged lightweight crank, 4 bolt main lt4 block with milodon caps.

Chassis: so far the car is sitting waiting to get painted i gutted the car, cutting every piece off that i can, so the car should be pretty light. i have a harwood wide cowl ram air hood ans 02 ss spoiler, im also going to get the rear hatch fitted with lexan and possibly the windshield. it is getting a mini tub and an 8 pt cage from wolfe, as of now i hope the car gets painted soon i have all the body work done im just waiting on the shop to call me.

ill have more updates later, thats pretty much all for now i hope its done soon

i appreciate any help in the near future with this project

thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're going to need a top dollar, dialed-in suspension, 2-step, beefy clutch, built rear end, and driver mod to achieve such a feat...

Here's a nice video (don't know if it's NA or not, still a nice video regardless):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtumPVotBhY
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I can vouch for him that he has the driver mod
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Taner, he is on spray and has been a 9.08.

Look up 94formula on here, he went 10.30's with a 355 LT1 and a six speed all motor.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

thanks mano, he is right i have the driver mod now all i need to do is take my time on the car and make it perfect. And yeah that blue car is tanner his car is very impressive so im up against a hell of a challenge but if i dont beat him i know we can enjoy destroying everything in our path
Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know Wicked'94Z has a nice LT1/T56 set up. Don't know what his best times are.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fast93Z
thanks mano, he is right i have the driver mod now all i need to do is take my time on the car and make it perfect. And yeah that blue car is tanner his car is very impressive so im up against a hell of a challenge but if i dont beat him i know we can enjoy destroying everything in our path

Except anything faster than a 9.00 lol
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a question...

Why are you staying with a stock intake 355 with what will surely be well into the 5 digits $$$ build??

Not saying it can't be done, but I don't see a need to make it harder on yourself. I wouldn't consider anything less then a 383 and a single plane for such a goal...preferably a 396 and sheetmetal intake with the valvetrain and computer to spin insane amounts of rpms . You'll need the aftermarket engine management and valvetrain anyway, since a 355 would need well over the 7k rpm limit of the stock computer to make that kind of power.

Either way you take it, good luck and keep the build well documented!
Old 08-29-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Puck
Just a question...

Why are you staying with a stock intake 355 with what will surely be well into the 5 digits $$$ build??

Not saying it can't be done, but I don't see a need to make it harder on yourself. I wouldn't consider anything less then a 383 and a single plane for such a goal...preferably a 396 and sheetmetal intake with the valvetrain and computer to spin insane amounts of rpms . You'll need the aftermarket engine management and valvetrain anyway, since a 355 would need well over the 7k rpm limit of the stock computer to make that kind of power.

Either way you take it, good luck and keep the build well documented!
i appreciate your concern, but the reason i want 355 is B/C my engine builder and my friend that is tuning the car have talked it over thouroughly and they want to try and squeeze at the least 750 hp out of it at a 9,000 rpm cutoff so i will be shifting around 7600 that way i can use a 4.11 gear to get it off the line.

And yes i have already done tons of research and my tuner is going to modify a management system using the stock speeddensity computer with 2 wideband monitoring systems.

also the reason im staying away from 383 and 396 is that anyone can make power with that CI, however to show a 355 making the same power and doing crazy rpm shows a well thought out and organized build. and noone can lie if i suceed its going to be pretty nassty and rev up so fast

also id like to add that most of the money is in my valve train

thanks PUCK for your input i appreciate when people are interested in the build i will take into consideration the intake suggestion

thanks, 93z28
Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like you got it figured out. Now it's the fun part. Spending the loot and makin' it happen. Give me a call homo and we'll start piecing it together
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast93Z

i appreciate your concern, but the reason i want 355 is B/C my engine builder and my friend that is tuning the car have talked it over thouroughly and they want to try and squeeze at the least 750 hp out of it at a 9,000 rpm cutoff so i will be shifting around 7600 that way i can use a 4.11 gear to get it off the line.

And yes i have already done tons of research and my tuner is going to modify a management system using the stock speeddensity computer with 2 wideband monitoring systems.

also the reason im staying away from 383 and 396 is that anyone can make power with that CI, however to show a 355 making the same power and doing crazy rpm shows a well thought out and organized build. and noone can lie if i suceed its going to be pretty nassty and rev up so fast

also id like to add that most of the money is in my valve train

thanks PUCK for your input i appreciate when people are interested in the build i will take into consideration the intake suggestion

thanks, 93z28
You need to do some more research.

To my knowledge no stock ecm is going to 9 grand, you need a stand alone. Megasquirt or something like that.

4.11 gear aint gonna be EVEN CLOSE, think 5.13 gear or more.

Stock intake aint gonna feed it. Not up there.

750hp 23* headed 355 aint easy, bring yo checkbook.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Soooo you're going to make your build twice as hard using a 355 because you think you're going to prove a point? To who? I know I'd just laugh simply because you spent so much more than the next guy.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a badass 355 could make more power than 90% of the strokers out there. Look at Aleks car...

To my understanding he could go bigger on the cam and spin it harder too.

I want to do a super high strung 355 build myself but it would be quite different from the OP and would include.

Fast XFI
18deg converted heads
Single plane / custom intake mani

Just to name a few things I'd do different.

Good luck man!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are planning to build a LT1 Sprint Cup motor lol. Not hating dude but for real can an opti handle 9000 rpms? 9000 rpms = lots of rebuilds and lots of clutches. T56s are mother ******* too. You might have to convert to a newer T6060, if possible, or convert to a 5 speed or 4 speed standard tranny.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by texas94z
T56s are mother ******* too. You might have to convert to a newer T6060, if possible, or convert to a 5 speed or 4 speed standard tranny.
Forreal lol, ask Taner about how t56's get along with big power builds .
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by texas94z
It sounds like you are planning to build a LT1 Sprint Cup motor lol. Not hating dude but for real can an opti handle 9000 rpms? 9000 rpms = lots of rebuilds and lots of clutches. T56s are mother ******* too. You might have to convert to a newer T6060, if possible, or convert to a 5 speed or 4 speed standard tranny.
I think with the sponsors we have here that they can build a T56 that will hold what ever you want to throw at it. Just my opinion.

And to the OP, how LT1 do you want to keep the build? I have been spinning my opti and stock PCM to 7k rpms for 2 years, I'm not saying the opti is going to hold together forever, but so far so good (knock on wood). But I think that you intake is going to be a bottle neck and a single plane swap would really help you out.

I plan on building another 355 turbo motor down the road and the top end will consist of AI ported trickflow 21* (or cleaned up AFR 227s ) single plane, EFI connections LS1 computer swap (or a FAST setup), LS1 throttle body, edelbrock elbow,nice big custom solid roller cam, and lots more. But I won't be using the opti anymore, it will have an aftermarket distrubitor on it. It will still keep the LTx water pump, and timing cover, but thats about it. Some will say its not an LT1 anymore since it doesn't use an opti, but I really don't care.

Sorry to ramble on, but I think that a smaller cube motor can be built to set some records. My car right now is quick (no numbers yet ), but its no slouch, but with better heads, better cam, and better computer setup I know is could be faster, but for how long I don't know with my bottom end. Your build sounds really cool, but the stock PCM won't work for 9k rpms and I don't think the opti would take it either.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

going with a 355 just for those reason is just a built-in excuse if you lose to someone with a "bigger motor", because in the end who's in front is all that really maters unless you're going for a very specific record. more cubes will only make everything you want to do that much easier and driveable, not to say it can't be done but why limit yourself if you're buying all new rotating assembly components, that difference in cost is minimal

like fastfatboy said 23 degree heads isn't goin to make your goal easy, especially limiting yourself on cubes
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

yep, I say go bigger cubes! How long is the valvetrain going last turning 9k rpm. Hell valve springs will need to be replaced seasonally if not sooner right?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Just use red loctite on the rotor screws
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) My build would NOT have an opti, or stock computer

2) I dont see why you guys are so convinced that ~30 more cubes is a huge advantage. Just spin the smaller engine another 1000 rpms and you have the same air in <> air out ie volumetric efficiency ie hp potential as the larger cubed engine...

Quick Reply: Finally figured out my build