LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ok I have got the cam picked out. What else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok I have got the cam picked out. What else?

First off I have a 95 Z with a 96 Bbody motor in it with around 40,000 and its all stock. I drive the car everyday from spring until fall. So it is my dd. I have been looking to upgrade the motor for awhile and have finally chosen the cam and have a few other Q's that go with it.

The cam will either be a GM 846 or CC 503 as they are about the same. The rockers will be crane gold 1.6 RR SA so I wont need to upgrade to guide plates. Would it be wise to go to a 7/16 stud from 3/8? Is there a benefit to going that way. What about the push rods what size will they need to be?

I will be running 643 casting aluminum heads with stock ports and stock port intake with a 52mm throttle body. The heads will be freshly done with just enough taken off the bottom to make them flat.

Will I need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump? I will obviously have a tune done as well.

The rest of the car will have offroad pacesetter LTs and ORY. The rear end is a 3.42. The car is an A4 with a shift kit but will have at least a 2500 stall prob closer to 3000-3200.

Sorry for the long post but I want any and all suggestions. What works best and what has been you experience with this stuff. Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Oh and what valve spring should I run with this cam? also can I upgrade the valve size in the stock LT1 head? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah's95z28
First off I have a 95 Z with a 96 Bbody motor in it with around 40,000 and its all stock. I drive the car everyday from spring until fall. So it is my dd. I have been looking to upgrade the motor for awhile and have finally chosen the cam and have a few other Q's that go with it.

The cam will either be a GM 846 or CC 503 as they are about the same. The rockers will be crane gold 1.6 RR SA so I wont need to upgrade to guide plates. Would it be wise to go to a 7/16 stud from 3/8? Is there a benefit to going that way. What about the push rods what size will they need to be?

I will be running 643 casting aluminum heads with stock ports and stock port intake with a 52mm throttle body. The heads will be freshly done with just enough taken off the bottom to make them flat.

Will I need to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump? I will obviously have a tune done as well.

The rest of the car will have offroad pacesetter LTs and ORY. The rear end is a 3.42. The car is an A4 with a shift kit but will have at least a 2500 stall prob closer to 3000-3200.

Sorry for the long post but I want any and all suggestions. What works best and what has been you experience with this stuff. Thanks guys.
Upgrading the rocker studs to 7/16" is always a good idea, regardless. I highly recommend it. If you haven't bought the rockers yet, since you have to take off the rocker studs anyway to upgrade them, you might as well go NSA - far too many advantages to not convert, IMO. NSAs are much stabler at higher RPM, lighter over the nose, etc. You do need hardened guideplates (like Trickflows) and hardened pushrods in stock diameter (5/16").

No one can tell you pushrod length - you'll need to measure using a pushrod length checking tool once it's all assembled.

Most cam-only guys have ran stock injectors (24#) without a problem, however you will need to monitor your duty cycle. Consensus is that if your injectors constantly see over 80% DC, you may want to upgrade to 30#. Someone might want to clarify, but I'm fairly sure the Impalas used 22# injectors. Maybe, maybe not.

The OEM fuel pump will be able to keep up as long as it's healthy and providing good pressure. I would feel more comfortable with a 255 though.

Definitely go with the 3000+ stall. With a 2500 you won't feel much difference. You may also want to consider upping the rear gear ratio to something a little more punchy, like 3.73s.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be wise to go to a 7/16 stud from 3/8? Is there a benefit to going that way. What about the push rods what size will they need to be?
More threads to hold the stud in place. I wouldn't worry about it on this "build"

Doubtful.

I would definitely go 3200+
Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh and what valve spring should I run with this cam? also can I upgrade the valve size in the stock LT1 head? Thanks.
The Crane 99893s are a good spring (if you can find them), although many guys are using Comp Beehives now.

You can upgrade the valve size yes, but without porting the gains are very minimal, if any.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Does anyone know if the b-body injectors are smaller than the f-bodys???
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they were 24lb multecs?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Upgrading the rocker studs to 7/16" is always a good idea, regardless. I highly recommend it. If you haven't bought the rockers yet, since you have to take off the rocker studs anyway to upgrade them, you might as well go NSA - far too many advantages to not convert, IMO. NSAs are much stabler at higher RPM, lighter over the nose, etc. You do need hardened guideplates (like Trickflows) and hardened pushrods in stock diameter (5/16").

No one can tell you pushrod length - you'll need to measure using a pushrod length checking tool once it's all assembled.

Most cam-only guys have ran stock injectors (24#) without a problem, however you will need to monitor your duty cycle. Consensus is that if your injectors constantly see over 80% DC, you may want to upgrade to 30#. Someone might want to clarify, but I'm fairly sure the Impalas used 22# injectors. Maybe, maybe not.

The OEM fuel pump will be able to keep up as long as it's healthy and providing good pressure. I would feel more comfortable with a 255 though.

Definitely go with the 3000+ stall. With a 2500 you won't feel much difference. You may also want to consider upping the rear gear ratio to something a little more punchy, like 3.73s.

I would have to agree with all of the above.

I ran the stock 24# Injectors and stock pump when I was running the cc503 cam-only and was good. It wasn't until I went heads/cam that I went with 30's and a 255 pump. Will need to monitor however just to make sure.

I ran the Crane 10308-1 Valve Springs with the cc503 and would recommend them highly. They are inexpensive and come with everything you need.

Add some valve stem seals to your list as well, some stockers from GM are what you want.

I ran a Yank SS3600 with the 503 and DD'd the car. That is a great stall for that since it's very tight and I liked it alot but if I were to do it again I would have probaly gotten the SS3200 for DD'ing.