LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

does the stock 95 exhaust/muffler use a clamp by the muffler itself?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default does the stock 95 exhaust/muffler use a clamp by the muffler itself?

i always thought my exhaust was bone stock right down to the muffler but someone was looking under there tonight and noticed that there is a clamp right by the muffler. is that factory? i think the exhaust repositioned a few years ago because it was leaking up by the manifolds but i don't think they did anything with the rear. this is a pic i took from last fall before putting the car away. does that look like a stock GM muffler?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See if there is a GM part number on it. My stocker has it stamped on the underside.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its been about 2 years since i had my stock setup, but i think there was a clamp on it. im pretty sure my exhaust guy reused it with the new muffler. and btw what are you doing with a stock exhaust?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a stock muffler. I know that I had a clamp just like that on my stock exhaust.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
its been about 2 years since i had my stock setup, but i think there was a clamp on it. im pretty sure my exhaust guy reused it with the new muffler. and btw what are you doing with a stock exhaust?
I guess i never bothered to change it since it wasn't in bad shape. the guy who looked under there last night said it looked like the muffler was starting to come apart at the welds so i might uipgrade soon. 15 years (car was built in late sept or early oct 94) and 126k on the orginal stock exhaust. the car has been a southern car all its life until 2 years ago and i don't drive it in the winter up here. I thought about the magnaflow exhaust that is on ebay for $407 w/ free shipping but i don't really like the single exhaust tips that come out on each side. i wonder if i could get the magnaflow exhaust and somehow reuse my stock tips. if the magnaflow is 3 inch and my stock exhaust tips are 2.5 will they be a restriction? or does the tip size not really matter? or maybe i should just keep my stock setup and add a magnaflow muffler?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe magnaflow offers different style tips now for the catback. so your not limited to just the single long truck style tips. and actually the tips or the pipes that go from the muffler to the back of the car(whatever you wanna call them) that extend out the back are 2.5inches not 3inches. so you are good to go. i should say the inlet of the tips is 2.5inches on the magnaflow catbacks. the tips are 3in

sorry if that was confusing
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

i wonder how hard it would be to hack off the magnaflow tips and use the stock ones? i kind of like the stock tips and also keeping the stock tips allows me to run a modified exhaust on my car and not have to count it as a mod at the T/A nats which would then probably push me up into heavy modified since i'm right on the border between modified and heavy modified, lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha your car is soo stock it isnt even funny. how does putting on a catback result in a heavily modified class? lol

you can cut the tips off. Thats what i did with mine. I also didnt like the magnaflow truck tips w/ the T/A bumper. You just need 2 pipes to extend out and then weld everything. A muffler shop will easily be able to do it. And have them extend the tips out slightly furthur then wehre they are now. Like 2inches. Your car looks wierd in the rear with them so far in
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
haha your car is soo stock it isnt even funny. how does putting on a catback result in a heavily modified class? lol

you can cut the tips off. Thats what i did with mine. I also didnt like the magnaflow truck tips w/ the T/A bumper. You just need 2 pipes to extend out and then weld everything. A muffler shop will easily be able to do it. And have them extend the tips out slightly furthur then wehre they are now. Like 2inches. Your car looks wierd in the rear with them so far in
heavy modified = 6 mods

i have hood/airbox (one or 2 mods depending)
wheels
gold decal on rear
painted intake

they wanted me to go into heavy custom last year for my hood
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can just get a 3in inlet/dual 2.5 in outlet magnaflow muffler and use your stock piping and tips
Old 09-08-2009, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just let my dad have my used, but in great shape SLP muffler/tips off my 96 Trans am (looked identical to yours) I would've sold cheap. You're a day late man!