LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting Frustrated!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Frustrated!!!!

this car is driving me crazy.Its a stock 96 z that i bought *** a roller.just installed a fresh .030 over 355....not built tho.i cannot for the love of God get this valve lash stuff right. i tried the #1 & #6 TDC method and ended up with a bunch of loose rockers. I tried doing it with the car running and i keep ending up withvalves too tight. and on top of it that i cannot get this thing too idle down from 2000 rpm. these are stock rockers also. im just getting frustrated cuz i just want the doggone car to run so i can enjoy it.Piecing the car together over the past few months has been a struggle in itself.Any ideas on getting this stuff set right despite all the burning oil smoking all in my face...........
Old 09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

do it a single rocker at a time, it takes longer this way but i find it alot easier and less confusing... idk about your high idle though
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default a lead.........

well just found out sum info. i was just checking sum prices on a new IAC online. Wen i bought the used stock throttle body for this car it didnt have a IAc on it. my buddy had a spare intake off an 94 lt1 caprice, so i used the IAC off of it. i checked the part numbers for my 96 z and the 94 caprice, and they are not the same at all. would this by any chance be the cause of my problem?..........techies get in here....Shbox where r u lol? im not gonna get too happy just yet
Old 09-19-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

techies??? ttt
Old 09-20-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

i guess in order to get some help around here i have to mention a 383 or something....................
Old 09-20-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

high idle could be the TPS, same **** happened to me
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah im sure he means tps, and yes that could be the prob.
As for the rockers I did it one at a time and it came out perfect the first time.
If I remember right its rotate the crank untill the exhaust pr just starts to come up then set the intake, and when the intake pr rises all the way to the top rotate crank 1/2-3/4th turn, and set the exhaust valve. I think stock rockers should be 1/2 turn past 0 lash
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Try method #3 on my website for adjusting valves and don't go over 1/2 turn preload and see what happens. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves

I don't know the difference between IACs, but you should try the reset procedure listed on my site. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset

Also check for any vacuum leaks that might affect idle. Some real time scan data showing the IAC counts might also be helpful. You could also verify TPS values at the same time.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shbox
Try method #3 on my website for adjusting valves and don't go over 1/2 turn preload and see what happens. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves

I don't know the difference between IACs, but you should try the reset procedure listed on my site. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#iac_reset

Also check for any vacuum leaks that might affect idle. Some real time scan data showing the IAC counts might also be helpful. You could also verify TPS values at the same time.
I did that IAC reset procedure off your site and now the only way i can get the car started now is by holding the gas pedal completely to the floor, and it still takes a second doin that. if i dont hold the pedal it wont start at all.

and i sprayed starting fluid around the engine bay and i couldnt get the engine to idle up so i guess im fine as far as vacuum leaks.

ill check tps voltage 2mara. and would valve lash being to tight cause a high idle condition...just askin
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

valve lash being too tight if anything might make your motor sound like a power drill when starting it cause all the valves are slightly open. keep in mind hydraulic lifters collapse so prolly after you made your passes they were no longer pumped up making you think they were all loose again.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt ttt
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do it the IOEC (Intake Open Exhaust Closed) method since the dampener may not be reading correctly if it has been removed before (as any motor that's had the timing cover, opti, cam, etc out has). pretty much it means if one valve on a cylinder is open the other is closed. adjust the one that is closed per shbox directions.

most likely since you are doing the #1/#6 TDC method you are looking at the marker on the balancer, if the balancer was not installed 100% original spot it was removed from when installed from the factory it will throw off the method you have been using
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shbox

well i checked my tps with the meter today. it read .70v with throttle closed and 4.64v WOT. and i had 4.9 volts on the reference wire. so from those i know my tps is indeed good....wat next?

is the iac i have from the 94 caprice odb1 specific or anything? i would hate to spend $120 on the correct IAC if the one i have is good enuf and also not the problem.....
Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

just went back outside and checked the IAC with the meter also. im reading 51ohms across a&b and 54 ohms across C&D. and had no continuity between a&d and B&c. so therfore my tps and iac are within spec and should be working properly evn tho is still questionable as far as compatibility. and no vacuum leaks.............................
Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok lets start off w/ what do you have done to your car? and is it tuned?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepno77
lol I agree! Seems like a total miss match of parts
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sepno77
other than a rebuilt bored .030 over lt1 shortblock............bone stock setup
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

ttt.....
Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so basicly the only problem your having is installing the stock rockers back on the car and car idleing too high?

I can't remember but do the stock rockers have lock nuts on them? if not try using the blue locktight on them so they dont back out. Adjusting the rockers shouldn't be that hard. While the car is runing just tighten them all up till they stop claping. Then 1 by 1 loose them up till it starts to clap then hand tight the nut till no clap from there give it about half a turn then move on to the next one.

As far as idle being really high it could be due to loose rockers and vacume leak. You should adj. the rockers 1st and if problem is still there post it up and we will go from there.