LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car won't start...sometimes. Here are the symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Car won't start...sometimes. Here are the symptoms

Okay, the car has never done this before, ever! I recently just added some pacesetter headers, and y pipe. It got a new starter because the old one would sometimes need influeincing by hammer. And I also put on a new fuel rail, with regulator, and reused my old injectors because my rail was twisted up. I resealed the intake for an oil leak. Sounds like a lot but its not. So here is the problem...Sometimes it just won't start. It spins over but just won't start up. Has never done this before. So I check the usuals and so far so good. So after hours of looking and looking I finally decide to just stick some new plugs in it. I found one plug that had a cracked porcelean. After the plug swap it fired up and ran like a champ, until this morning. I got to school and was leaving to go to lunch and yet again, spins over but just won't start. The only thing I haven't checked is the fuel psi but only because I can't and can only assume its good because this is my daily car and have never had a problem till i put on headers, and a different fuel rail. So my question is this, Do you guys think it could be the regulator? I still have my old one and was going to try swapping them out. I'm stumped. Once the car actually starts, it runs great like nothing is wrong. Doesn't miss, hesitate, pulls like a freight train, just sometimes won't start. This is my everyday car and I can't go without it. Sorry this is so long but i'm just confused. I've traced every wire back to the pcm or its ground and nothing! I can't find a pinched, chaffed, cut wire anywhere. I've checked fuses, and relays, checked for volt refrences and everything checks out okay. Everything is plugged in and tight. HELP!!!!!!!!! Open to any suggestions guys. Next time I try to start it I was going to spray a little carb clean on the tb and see if it will start.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I gave the carb cleaner a try. Starts up everytime and keeps running. What now? I'm thinking a sticking regulator. Anyone have a different idea?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Try the old Regulator..would be worth a shot.

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
I found one plug that had a cracked porcelean.
Is it still on your mirror with the pretty white lace?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the old regulator from my other fuel rail fixed the issue. Just in case someone else comes across a similar problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're still a weiner.

Good work on fixing it
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy
You're still a weiner.
Ask him about the Spark Plug..

Quick Reply: Car won't start...sometimes. Here are the symptoms