LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some spark plug questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some spark plug questions

I just put some NGK TR55 plugs in my car around March/April.

Just last night my car started skipping, is sounds like its down 1 cylinder and I can smell unburnt fuel getting to my cat..

I'm going to check, but I'm thinking its actually a fouled plug. I talked to a buddy of mine who is a technician and he told me my car called for a double platinum plug.

I couldn't remember if the TR55s were double platinum or not, does anyone know right off? I told him I knew a lot of guys on here run TR55s so I didn't see any reason not to.

I figure I'm going to get some AC Delco double platinums to put in. BUT... I have a nitrous kit that I'm waiting to put in so I know I'll be wanting a colder plug with a .35 gap. I had been planning on getting some NGK TR6s for that.

It may be a while before I get to the n2o, but would the TR6s make a good plug to daily drive until then? I'm not sure if theres a downfall to being colder with a smaller gap while not spraying..

OR, how would the Double Platinum AC Delcos do with spray? I don't think they're a cold enough plug and I doubt they have a small gap?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

PS. the sig says Hooker Super Comps, I bought them recently, but they're not on just yet..

Still stock manifolds and catalytic converter.

not sure if it matters, but I figured I'd throw it out there.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run autolite 104s, a plain old resistor plug works better on nitrous, plus a set only costs 12 bucks
Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

does a nitrous plug give up anything on daily driving?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

OMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! Do not install those headers! Take them back...please please please trust me on this one!!!!!!!!!!! I just rippped those hoes off. They will burn cylinder 7 spark plug wire every 10 minutes!
View my thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...r-headers.html
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

I've got the coated long tubes, not the shorties.. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Anyone?

Does a nitrous plug give up anything on daily driving?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Here's 2 I pulled today.. Not counting the 1 that I pulled 2 days ago.

I've got like 6 months on these plugs at most! They're NGK TR-55 "G-power" They're platinum, but not double platinum, is that my problem?

I've swapped these out with more TR55s, but I'm temped to go buy some AC Delco double platinums, but they're $60 at NAPA
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
I'd run autolite 104s, a plain old resistor plug works better on nitrous, plus a set only costs 12 bucks
+1 you dont need the DP (lol) plugs. in your last post did you mean you have changed that same plug 2 times now? nm i just noticed that you have changed 3 plugs that have fouled out of the ngk set. time to step up a heat range.
oh yeah DP plugs and nitrous dont mix well.

Last edited by jasonisdn; 09-30-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm not spraying yet.. when I get around to it I know I'll need a different plug.

Thanks for the input.. I've ruled out the TR55s as my problem. I've pulled every plug and cleaned them, and replaced 3 with brand new ones. (I figured I would only need a couple so I bought 3)

It still skips, not as bad as before, but none the less, it still is. Its a steady skip, not at random.

Does that sound like the optispark or not? I think on my next day off work I'm going to buy all new plugs and wires and probably new o2's.

My car has high mileage and I think the problem isn't neccissarily getting too much fuel as much as not actually being able to ignite the fuel like it should.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

is it not throwing any codes at all? have you ever changed the opti on it before or is it the factory piece? i would not change the 02's yet, that could be wasted money. a wires and plug swap could not hurt but have you looked for a burnt wire yet? simple and cheap first. i have some extra 02's if you need them. i am only a little drive away in burlington. actually i have some msd wires you can have that have very few (less than 100) miles on them.

Quick Reply: Some spark plug questions