LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possible fuel pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
When its a cold start the motor idles ok, when it warms up and i mess with the throttle is when it stumbles. But it idles fine.

The only reason im going to go against it being the pump is that when mine went out, like i said, it still ran fine on 25psi. No stumbles, nothing.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1camaro
The only reason im going to go against it being the pump is that when mine went out, like i said, it still ran fine on 25psi. No stumbles, nothing.
So that leaves me with the opti

Im doing msd plug wires this weekend, so if its still acting up after a new pump and wires, then the opti is getting replaced. But whats with the low fuel pressure? Could be the injectors like mentioned?
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

So that leaves me with the opti

Im doing msd plug wires this weekend, so if its still acting up after a new pump and wires, then the opti is getting replaced. But whats with the low fuel pressure? Could be the injectors like mentioned?
Could be crap on the pickup in the tank. Could be the filter. I honestly couldnt tell you. Could even be a small leak on the hose in the tank.

Thats what was wrong with mine, the hose had a hole in it going from pump to hardlines. So basically it was working like a dog and only putting out so much cause it was leaking back into the tank before it could get to the line.

Im pretty sure im dealing with a opti issue currently with my car too if that makes you feel any better
Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The pressure doesn't bleed down much with the system primed, so i think there is no leaks, maybe its a weak pump along with other ignition issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Could it be the ICM being as my car has had the opti and coil replaced in the last year might it be the ICM the reason for the stuttering? Ive been seeing alot of people say it breaks up at higher rpms or when the engine gets hot.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesnt go past 3500rpm when I mash the peddle, it just sputters big time.
from this post it sounds very simular to my brothers problem. he is Alexz28 on this website. you could look up some of his post. but his car gose to 4500 then it stutters, backfires, and loses power and wont go any higher than that. his car was on a wideband dyno and his air and fuel was fine. on his car its the opti or cap n rotor. he will probably be swaping it out this weekend and ill let you know if it fixes it. your problem sounds like you have a weak pump but I dont think its weak enouph to cause your car from not going any higher then 3500rpm sence when you pulled the vacume it shot up to 48psi, witch tells me the pump is still prity strong. I personaly think its your cap n rotor or opti and wish you best of luck on solving your problem.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sepno77
from this post it sounds very simular to my brothers problem. he is Alexz28 on this website. you could look up some of his post. but his car gose to 4500 then it stutters, backfires, and loses power and wont go any higher than that. his car was on a wideband dyno and his air and fuel was fine. on his car its the opti or cap n rotor. he will probably be swaping it out this weekend and ill let you know if it fixes it. your problem sounds like you have a weak pump but I dont think its weak enouph to cause your car from not going any higher then 3500rpm sence when you pulled the vacume it shot up to 48psi, witch tells me the pump is still prity strong. I personaly think its your cap n rotor or opti and wish you best of luck on solving your problem.
No **** huh, damn. Well how hard is it to change the cap and rotor when im doing my wires?

Need to remove the pulley and other crap? If so im better off just replacing the whole thing.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cap and rotor is the same as an opti change. yup remove the pulley and crap. ya if it was me id just replace the whole thing and be done w/ it. actully im changing the opti on my car tomorrow or this weekend but mine is the optical sensor in the opti that is failing and making my car shut off while driving.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Where did you buy your opti from?

Might as well replace the whole fuel/ignition...Id be a millionaire if i would have just bought a honda...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pm sent.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I have pump/harness/msd wires/plugs/02 sensors/fuel filter going on the car soon...If it still gives me **** what else is there besides the Opti/cap and rotor/ICM?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like your chasing a ghost...

Quick Reply: Possible fuel pump going bad?