LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

got one for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got one for you guys

okay...been working on a cam swap for a while and keep running into issues. anyway, new issues for you guys to help me with cause i'm stumped.

well the car wouldn't start and if it did, it ran like **** so we decided to throw a new opti on it. boom, car started and idled pretty well. my buddy took it for a few short drives and he would always say it had pretty good power, but occasionally died at a stop sign. i'm thinking O2 sensors, no big deal.

so i hope in it last night and decide it could just need to be driven and cleaned out a bit. so as i'm driving through town on my way to the interstate, car runs pretty well. i didn't feel like it had as much power as it should, but whatever.

get on the interstate, set the cruise at 70 and cruise for about 10 miles with no issues. tap the brake to release the cruise, give it about 60% throttle just to see what she's got...car stumbles, check gauges light comes on and she dies. have to pump the gas to get her to restart as i'm rolling on the interstate. get off on the exit, she dies at the stop sign. pull back on the interstate to head back and it has absolutely no power. at 60 it was running 3500 rpms and then i noticed the oil pressure was at about 10 pounds...i start shitting my pants.

get it back to my buddy's and he comes running out and swears he heard something rattling. we pop the hood and the antifreeze is boiling, but the gauge never went up until after i turned the key back on. oil pressure stayed low.

any damn ideas? i'm getting really tired of fighting this thing. my mods are in my sig, Ion tuned it and the cam is the AI 226/234

thanks guys
Old 09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well first off never "pump the gas" on a fuel injected car.. you will flood your injector

1. how is your compression
2. gap your spark plugs correctly?
3. your cam might be off a tooth
4. make sure your fuel pressure is at least 40lbs and is your pump stock? how many miles?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

compression is great on each cylinder
spark plug is at 35
messed with the timing a few times so its correct now, lol
fuel pressure is good and its the second pump which has seen maybe 10k miles
Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

what size injectorsd are in your car? im thinking your cam might be off a tooth honestly..
Old 09-30-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What code came up for the SES light? Check your plug wires too, make sure they're all tight, hooked up right, and not laying on the exhaust.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did your passenger side header burn though the knock sensor and O2 wiring harness? between that and a fuel pump on its way out i had the same problem with being able to cruise ok with a bit of stumbling and then it would die when i came to a stop unless i maintained at least 30% throttle. i got nothin to say about the oil pressure though.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

hmm...not that i noticed stevo...i suppose that's something to look into. but then again, i was getting a knock reading so it can't be burned through, right? lol

and i never had a check engine light come on...just the check gauges light when i hit the gas and she started to die
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

what opti did you go with??
GM, MSD or just a cheapy off the net?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

genuine GM, lol
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

probably a bad vacuum leak as far as idle goes
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

so you're saying look at all my vacuum lines and make sure they're good...i will try to do that tonight. i hope its that easy, lol

changed the plugs last night along with the oil. looks like there was some gas in the oil. so that's at least fresh now. plugs didn't look too bad but it never hurts to change them. still get a weird idle. idle goes from 1100 to about 700 and keeps doing that. i plan to change the o2 sensors one of these days when i have more time
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Check your fuel injectors. The gas in your oil is a bad sign. When I started my car after a cam change, it ran like crap at first. It was running really rich. I made the mistake of trouble shooting spark, vacuum, etc. Meanwhile, two injectors were stuck open for some reason, dumping fuel into the cylinders and crankcase. I didn't run the car more than 15 minutes total but when i got things ironed out, my oil pressure sucked and after about 8000 miles I spun a cam bearing and two rod bearings were about to spin.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

so now you're saying perhaps i have an injector stuck open huh? that can't be good, lol
Old 10-01-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

well besides vacuum line check the tb/intake mating area I've had that happen before.

if you would like to check for a leaky injector, lift the fuel rail and put the key into the on position (priming fuel pump) and check for any fuel to come out. I don't think an injector is the issue as this problem wasn't existant before the cam swap. my advice would be to look at anything that was removed during the swap that could be damaged/incorrectly installed
Old 10-01-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i did change injectors for the cam swap so it is possible one is bad. i'm going to take a look again at everything tonight and see if i can't find something that i've just been overlooking. this is dumb, lol
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myltwon
well besides vacuum line check the tb/intake mating area I've had that happen before.

if you would like to check for a leaky injector, lift the fuel rail and put the key into the on position (priming fuel pump) and check for any fuel to come out. I don't think an injector is the issue as this problem wasn't existant before the cam swap. my advice would be to look at anything that was removed during the swap that could be damaged/incorrectly installed
My injectors worked fine before I swapped cams. I had them in sitting in a small box in my garage for about two weeks while doing changing the cam.
I have no idea why two of them were stuck when I started her up, but they were. After removing them I tried cleaning them but never could get them to close.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

well we decided we're going to tear off the timing cover again and make sure the cam isn't a tooth off...we got it to backfire through the intake a couple times last night and it just acts like its retarded so we're going to give that a shot and hope for the best, lol
Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya it sucks man but that is really the best bet i could give you on this situation.. nothing seems to be correcting your misfire..

you cant get it timed right either can you?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

nope, lol. you gave me that idea on ltxtech didn't ya? i knew i got it from somewhere but looked through here and didn't see it.

we went over everything else thoroughly hoping we wouldn't have to tear everything back down...but now we know its somewhere in the set up so back off it all comes, lol

i will keep ya informed on the progress!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

what size injectors and do you have a tune?