LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

in 8 hours, car suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default in 8 hours, car suddenly won't start

I finished a motor swap on my friends 94 Formula. It started and ran for two days, we drove it around town, checked fluids, etc. More or less made sure it was road worthy. His wife drove it to work yesterday morning, she tells me the car ran great and had no issues. Well when she got out of work, it cranks but doesn't fire off.

What can cause it to all of a sudden not fire off? Going to get a fuel pressure gauge today to see if the filter got clogged or something. You can hear the pump prime, then it will crank. Doesn't backfire. I guess after I check the fuel pressure I will pull a plug and see if we have spark. I'm just amazed that this car was perfectly fine, and then after sitting for 8-9 hours while she was at work the damn thing won't start.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe she ran out of gas??? iv done that before lol
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya..or the Opti came unplugged..
Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

or possible ign fuse burnt out like in my brothers car... that was alot of fun, spent a good couple hrs in the hot sun for a stupid fuse.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Launching!

This same thing happened to me I drove it to school just fine (destroyed an srt4 that day on the way) parked it, then when I came out 5 hours or so later to leave it just turned over but wouldnt start. I had my friend jiggle the ignition coil wires and it started right up. Ended up being a bad ground off the ignition coil.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

alright gonna check on all the above. Confirmed it has fuel in it.

One thing is it doesn't have the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake, going to fix that today. What can happen if that isn't present?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
alright gonna check on all the above. Confirmed it has fuel in it.

One thing is it doesn't have the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake, going to fix that today. What can happen if that isn't present?
run like **** or not run at all

did you use all the compnents from your old motor or use the stuff that came on the motor you just put in? how long was all the stuff sitting?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

That's what I was going to say.. if there is no pull on the Regulator then no fuel is getting through..that's what I've always thought..
Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Alright, its just amazing then that it ran 7 times without it then?

jarretthise the new used motor was not run for about two months. Most stuff came over from the factory motor. It was interesting, motor came out of a 60k Impala that the owner put ported fbody heads on with a 503 cam. So I had to change a few things, but the car did run for about 3 1/2 hours before this. A few trips between my friends house and mine, and his wife took it to work.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

i ran my car not knowing that my FPR wasnt hooked up to anywhere for afew months but then that went bad on me suddenly and the car stopped running right. i replaced everything as a result of that. FPR, pump, filter injectors and then got it returned and it ran great.

that was afew months ago. last night i was driving down the road and everything was perfectly fine. i went from 4th-6th at 50 cruising and the car started running like absolute CRAP. i didnt know what it was. i go to my friends house right down the road and at first i thought it was my pump. i pulled the line coming off my month old FPR and fel thte hose at idle (barely running) and there wasnt any vacuum that i could feel. i pulled the line from the intake before it goes to that 3 way splitter thing and it had plenty of vacuum. sorry for the long *** post but im hoping its just my FPR again :\ and yours too. GL and let us know what happens
Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 AM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a ground wire came loose? Let us know how the fuel pressure check went.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LT1
Maybe a ground wire came loose? Let us know how the fuel pressure check went.
im sorry to hijack this but im also very concerned about my situation. what ground wire could come loose to cause that?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Ground to the ICM..or the Coil.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Launching!

didnt really read all of this..

is it cranking?

if not, check your neutral safety switch.

put it in park or neutral, turn key on, and lay under it, and jump the solenoid on the starter, if it starts, NSW is bad.

aaron
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jarretthise
run like **** or not run at all

did you use all the compnents from your old motor or use the stuff that came on the motor you just put in? how long was all the stuff sitting?
Acutally is will just have a little high fuel pressure at low RPM. The stock regulator is at 43-45 PSI with no vaccume, With vacume it drops it to 38ish or so. The vacume pulls on the oter side of the reulator to lower pressure, therefore when you open the throtle it drops vaccume, increasing the fuel pressure.
If you have fuel pressure and spark, check to make sure your bellows didnt come off or loose, The will run like **** or not start at all if it is not reading the correct air flow from the mass air sensor.
But basicly you need to see if you have spark, fuel, both or niether.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by the_merv
Ground to the ICM..or the Coil.
i checked both of those. took all the wires off checked them and put them back. everlastings in ok shape there. i beat my FPR alittle and the car runs alittle better. but still runs like crap in the low RPM range. around 3k+ tho it feels like its running better... hmm. ill have ot hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what its at.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

OK so finally got a pressure tester on it, on initial prime there is 40 psi. So we have fuel. We pulled the number 1 plug and stuck it to the header, then to the block, whatever I could find for metal. There is no spark. I mounted the ground wires there behind the stud, directly to the block. They all seem fine.

Thinking of swapping the coil first. Have two spares of them laying around. They are at my house of course, forgot to drag them over to vulcan2422's house.
Stuck a vacuum line from the FPR to the intake manifold, no difference. Well I guess it wouldn't as there is no spark.

Last edited by Vulcan2422; 10-03-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vulcan2422
OK so finally got a pressure tester on it, on initial prime there is 40 psi. So we have fuel. We pulled the number 1 plug and stuck it to the header, then to the block, whatever I could find for metal. There is no spark. I mounted the ground wires there behind the stud, directly to the block. They all seem fine.

Thinking of swapping the coil first. Have two spares of them laying around. They are at my house of course, forgot to drag them over to vulcan2422's house.
Stuck a vacuum line from the FPR to the intake manifold, no difference. Well I guess it wouldn't as there is no spark.
hmmm coil is the first place id check. then work my way around the harness with all of the wires. after that id check the wires to the opti
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Just checked the coil with another one, the opti harness is new. Just no spark at all.......
Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Started running though some of the stuff on shbox. We have 10+ vdc on A,D. Do not have 1-4 vac on B, taking the readings from the ICM connection. Going to keep reading on the site to try and narrow it down some more. All I know is it was running great and then it would crank but not fire, so obviously something failed on shutdown or on startup.

Looking at shbox I have no idea where to go next. Read the opti harness end to end? Can I read on the four wires where the harness connects up top for the opti signal?

Last edited by Vulcan2422; 10-03-2009 at 08:40 PM.