LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Weird oil question?

So, I've always used mobile 1 5w-30 in my car. Never realy had much of a problem except every so often it would briefly smoke at WOT (light blue oil burning color) but not enough for me to even care. So last weekend I changed to just plain ol' valvoline 10w-30 because I was over due for an oil change and everyone was sold out of mobile, completely. Now my car seems to smoke when its cold and looks like a damn dump truck when you get into it. Was just curious to know if this is the concequence of changing the oil type or if I have something else wrong. Its just weird how as soon as I changed to mineral oil it started smoking! I'm almost ready to just shop around for mobile and change it just to see if it stops. Any ideas?

Chris
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got problems, not the least of which is probably valve stem seals, that's the cold start smoke. The WOT smoke is probably rings.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^That just seems odd because it never smoked before until I changed to a different oil! It has always smoked at wot, and every car I've owned has done that. It has never burned oil...ever! Never had to add oil between changes, or have leaks! Its weird it just started this. I need to swap out the LT4 springs here sometime soon. I may just go ahead and install some new seals. I should have done it the first go around but I was just being lazy, lol. As far as the rings go, my old lt1 car did the same thing. Never used it or burned it but every so often you could see a little puff in the rear view when you punched it. Weird!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

It's cause you don't cuddle with it..
Old 10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

changing your oil brand wont have this drastic effect. you can switch back and forth between conventional, synthetic blend and synthetic. 10W 30 is a thicker weight of oil, so the only thing you should see is a slight increase in oil pressure.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Maybe it was smoking before the oil change and you just didn't notice? Switching to a thicker weight oil should lessen your smoking problem if anything reguardless of syn or conv. Viscosity ratings are the same for both types.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree with ya'll but my car never smoked when it was cold until I changed to this oil! I just thought that was weird. I'm going to switch back next weekend and we'll see what happens!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:51 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it only smoke when it's cold? The 10W-30 will have some different flow characteristics in comparison to the 5W-30 when the oil is cold, but I can't imagine that would cause it to smoke.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haveyou ran syn in yourcar always?

did you run con this time?

seals sound to be bad..

it is a biggggg no no to swap from syn to con.. dont ever do that
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

also itwont cause it to smoke.. here is the diff between oils.. the 5 wieght is just a thinner oil.. therefore makes it easier to run and start in cold weather..

now changing between the two (con and syn) is hard on your rings.. rings cause your smoking problem here.. ifyou run syn dont stop running it!!! if you run con dont start running syn!!

so your prob due for some new rings in your motor man
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
haveyou ran syn in yourcar always?

did you run con this time?

seals sound to be bad..

it is a biggggg no no to swap from syn to con.. dont ever do that
its a well known fact that its perfectly ok to swap between the two.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Huh.. I've always heard once you go to it you can't go back.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
Huh.. I've always heard once you go to it you can't go back.
That's being gay
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well either way we'll find out. I highly doubt going from one oil to another killed my rings!?!? The car drives perfectly fine! It just smokes now when its cold and you get on it! It has never used a drop of oil but the car has had m1 since the first change and this valvoline I just used is the first time this car has seen anything other. I think the valve seals are worn and the flow characteristics allow it to be drawn in easier than m1. We'll find out though this weekend and I'll let you guys know.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't go back once you go to syn. Ppl obviously don't the differences. Look up synthetic oils and see what they do for your motor then look up conventional oil and see what it does for your motor better yet tear two apart and see the differences.

Ok so here is why syn oil doesn't break down as fast and the molecules are smaller in syn so it gets places where con can't. So therefore syn lasts longer and is smoother lubing..not only that bu the molecules are different style and your motor has adapted to them. You can't just swap between the two and expect it to just be ok. Well you can but your motor won't last for ****.

For the op I wouldn't listen to the guy telling you it's ok. He must work at jiffy lube!! And yes swapping can take out more than just seals and rings. It can even cause your bottom end to go out with low oil pressure because your pump goes to **** or something.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

You can't go back once you go to syn. Ppl obviously don't the differences. Look up synthetic oils and see what they do for your motor then look up conventional oil and see what it does for your motor better yet tear two apart and see the differences.

Ok so here is why syn oil doesn't break down as fast and the molecules are smaller in syn so it gets places where con can't. So therefore syn lasts longer and is smoother lubing..not only that bu the molecules are different style and your motor has adapted to them. You can't just swap between the two and expect it to just be ok. Well you can but your motor won't last for ****.

For the op I wouldn't listen to the guy telling you it's ok. He must work at jiffy lube!! And yes swapping can take out more than just seals and rings. It can even cause your bottom end to go out with low oil pressure because your pump goes to **** or something.

dude your plain *** stupid. You can switch between synthetic oil and conventional oil all day long. Oil doesn't break down unless you get it near it's flashpoint. The add packs wear out over time, and contamination from the combustion chamber is the cause for needing to change oil. It's quite obvious you have no idea what you're talking about, so it's best for you not to even reply to this thread...

to the OP does it smoke when you beat on it when it's hot (besides WOT)? I hardly ever used to beat on my LT1 until oil temps were 180*. If if goes away when hot, then the rings are probably the point to blame, but could also be the valve stem seals, but usually those cause blue smoke on immediate startup.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 10-05-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

^When you first fire it up it will puff a little bit but if your not standing by the exhaust tip you don't even see it. If it just sits there and idles it will quite after just a second or so when its cold. If you get on it cold it will smoke. When its hot it will only smoke at wot, but then again, it only does it every so often. Sometimes at wot it doesn't smoke at all. I'm just confused because I just had this thing down at the track beating the **** out of it two weekends ago and not one bit of smoke. Changed the oil and here's what I ended up with. Now, after the track I drove this thing 60 miles a day for a week to and from school, and work without a single problem! Just seems wierd to me!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daddy
That's being gay
Ah, that's why Chris is the way he is..

I wouldn't worry about for now..as in give it a week or so and see what it does.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If that were true, I would expect some kind of law preventing stores from selling both conventional and synthetic oils. If I were making the law, I wouldn't even allow both types of oil to be sold within 50 miles of one another. As far as your oil pump going to ****, or something, I'm putting my money on or something.

Quick Reply: Weird oil question?