LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter, battery, and alternator good...new icm and coil....STILL WONT START ARGGH

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter, battery, and alternator good...new icm and coil....STILL WONT START ARGGH

My 96 t/a has been killing me with these electrical gremlins. First it would not start back up after it had been ran and the engine was hot. I replace the coil, icm, and did the icm spacer mod. Problem solved. Now it wont start when the enigne's hot or cold and all I hear is the starter trying to crank it. I took the starter, battery, and alternator to autozone and they all tested out good. It cant be VATS because thats been tuned out. So now I have no idea what to do. This started a week ago when it stranded me and we tried to jump it and that failed. However the next day we managed to jump it when it was cold no problem....HELP!!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention that I started it whith out jumpers the other night and it ran but the dashlights and headlights started dimming, the abs light came on, and it felt like the power steering went out too. I tried holding the rpms up high for a few minutes to try and charge the battery but the voltage did not improve. This led me to believe it was the alternator or the belt but both are good.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check for corrosion on your battery cables. You should probably do a voltage drop test on the positive cable.

When you have these issues, does it crank and just not start? Or does it not crank at all?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

relays maybe.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Check for corrosion on your battery cables. You should probably do a voltage drop test on the positive cable.

When you have these issues, does it crank and just not start? Or does it not crank at all?
About 3 weeks ago I scrubbed the **** outta the cables and terminals with baking soda, water, and a wire brush. Then I tightened them down real good and it fired right up. But now it obviously wont start once again.

It does crank but just wont start.

I know I should run tests on the wires/cables but Im pretty ignorant when it comes to the electrical side of cars or anything electrical for that matter. Im thinking I would need a multimeter...
Old 10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Im about to drop $50 on a new negative battery cable so hopefully that will fix it
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it cranks fine, you should be checking ignition and fuel
Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah Im thinking it could be the opti...

Quick Reply: starter, battery, and alternator good...new icm and coil....STILL WONT START ARGGH