LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Future Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because it has a lower first gear ratio. A M29 with higher rear gears can still have the same first gear ratio as a T-56 / 4:10 combo
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said-- the slightly more agressive gearing of the M29 transmission means that 3.73's will be your best option.

Spend $200 on a set of quality gears like Strange Engineering or Motive. Don't get that whiney Richmond garbage, my Stranges have outlasted 2 previous sets of Richmonds.

You'll also need about $90 for a complete install kit from Ratech, Motive, or I'm sure there's quite a few more manufacturers. As long as its got the carrier bearings/races, pinion bearings/races, pinion seal, crush collar, both sets of shims, and a cover gasket you'll be all set.

And as its already been stated, count on about $300 for an install. It also couldn't hurt (but not necessary) to buy a $120 cover girdle which helps to strengthen the pumpkin and preload the carrier bearings. Don't forget your 2-quarts of gear oil and a little bottle of GM Synchromesh.

Don't get me wrong, nitrous done right would be a lot of fun, but gears in my opinion are one of the best modifications you can do to a 4th generation F-body.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
As others have said-- the slightly more agressive gearing of the M29 transmission means that 3.73's will be your best option.

Spend $200 on a set of quality gears like Strange Engineering or Motive. Don't get that whiney Richmond garbage, my Stranges have outlasted 2 previous sets of Richmonds.

You'll also need about $90 for a complete install kit from Ratech, Motive, or I'm sure there's quite a few more manufacturers. As long as its got the carrier bearings/races, pinion bearings/races, pinion seal, crush collar, both sets of shims, and a cover gasket you'll be all set.

And as its already been stated, count on about $300 for an install. It also couldn't hurt (but not necessary) to buy a $120 cover girdle which helps to strengthen the pumpkin and preload the carrier bearings. Don't forget your 2-quarts of gear oil and a little bottle of GM Synchromesh.

Don't get me wrong, nitrous done right would be a lot of fun, but gears in my opinion are one of the best modifications you can do to a 4th generation F-body.
Cool, great info. I'll probably try to keep the cost down and skip the cover. If I am having it installed at a shop, I don't need to purchase the install kit, correct?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nik1703
Cool, great info. I'll probably try to keep the cost down and skip the cover. If I am having it installed at a shop, I don't need to purchase the install kit, correct?
Trust me, you'd rather buy an install kit yourself rather then pay for whatever shop's install kit you go to.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid I think $180 for a local shop to install mine and about $160-180 or so on the gears themselves, not really the common price I've seen though. most shops want between 300-500
Old 10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myltwon
I paid I think $180 for a local shop to install mine and about $160-180 or so on the gears themselves, not really the common price I've seen though. most shops want between 300-500
Did you do them a special favor to get the price down that much? lol

Quick Reply: Future Modifications