LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vulcans car is driving me f'ing nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can order a single replacement I'd imagine

looks like the snap ring that holds the pivot might of came off

how does the cup that houses the pushrod look? because the rocker def doesn't look centered on the valve

btw - didn't realize you guys actually live pretty close to me, Spring Hill and Hudson right? I'm in North Pinellas right on the border. I'd be willing to help out if you need a hand
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man i hate to be the barer of bad news. but if you have play in the crank. its not very good. you might get some of the noise taken care of due to the rocker, but you might wanna be careful and DONT TAKE IT UP TO 7000!!!!!!!!! i wouldnt take a stock bottom end over 6000 hell my 383 never saw anything over 6800. but take a look at the bottom end when you get a chance i garauntee you will have some type problem down there
Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myltwon
you can order a single replacement I'd imagine

looks like the snap ring that holds the pivot might of came off

how does the cup that houses the pushrod look? because the rocker def doesn't look centered on the valve

btw - didn't realize you guys actually live pretty close to me, Spring Hill and Hudson right? I'm in North Pinellas right on the border. I'd be willing to help out if you need a hand
Any and all help is appreciated! Hell, I wanna try to get the car back on the road ASAP. So if you ever feel bored during the week, hit me up on aim. Mind you......I have **** for tools.

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
hey man i hate to be the barer of bad news. but if you have play in the crank. its not very good. you might get some of the noise taken care of due to the rocker, but you might wanna be careful and DONT TAKE IT UP TO 7000!!!!!!!!! i wouldnt take a stock bottom end over 6000 hell my 383 never saw anything over 6800. but take a look at the bottom end when you get a chance i garauntee you will have some type problem down there
I hear ya. I don't know why Ion set the Rev limiter so high though. I'm about to jack the car up pretty soon and start looking around at potential problems.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the tach showed 7k, hey Gary find your tune sheet and see where the rev limiter was set. I'm sure it probably wasn't 7k, shouldn't the computer have shut us down?

Once the transmission fluid was filled to the proper level it shifted around 6400 at WOT. Its got a CC503, and a tune from Ion.

myltwon, you don't have a happy hooker, or took the motor out from the bottom before by any chance have you? I've pulled from the top twice, but no happy hooker so it was slightly annoying in that regard.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Got the sheet right in front of me. Rev Limiter was set at 6500
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I apologize, but your motor is done...the trunnion on that rocker is obviously not in the right place. Chances are you'll find little pieces of bearings with pieces from the crank bearings. Either way the motor has to come out. Ii would look into getting a stock crank from a yard, then getting the bottom end freshened up with new bearings since they'll have to clean it up with the crank issue. Look at spending another few hundred bucks at the machine shop if you do the reassembly. In reality it could be a lot worse......Sorry man....
Old 10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Well the tach showed 7k, hey Gary find your tune sheet and see where the rev limiter was set. I'm sure it probably wasn't 7k, shouldn't the computer have shut us down?

Once the transmission fluid was filled to the proper level it shifted around 6400 at WOT. Its got a CC503, and a tune from Ion.

myltwon, you don't have a happy hooker, or took the motor out from the bottom before by any chance have you? I've pulled from the top twice, but no happy hooker so it was slightly annoying in that regard.
nah no happy hooker, I've only pulled from the top with a hoist
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Well, depending on everybodys situation this week. I might or might not buy a happy hooker. Considering maybe we can do this during the weekends or when ever. Just PM when ever you have your days off LTWON!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Default My car was doing the samething

Hey I just had the Exact SAME thing happen to my car yesterday. When I heard that noise I thought my Engine was done for, but it turned out it was pretty simple to fix. A GM mechanic told me to check the oil, which didn't make any scene to b/c I'm very particular about the oil in my car and it been less than 1000 miles that I changed it. but when I checked it was missing some oil (which was odd b/c I could spot any licks), but I added the oil that was missing which was not much, I stared the car for like a minute or so it was still making sound, but it not as bad. So i changed my oil, and the ticking noised stopped I drove it for 100 miles after that and no problem; I drove it this morning and no noise.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey vulcan. heres a little way to do all this without using a happy hooker. jack the car up. in the rear about a foot off the ground. have the bottom of the wheel about a foot off the ground and block it. do the same to the front jack it up as far as the jack will go then put blocks or whatever under it. the put a 4x4 on the jack and jack it up. will get you atleast another 4 inches. and keep doing that untill you can get it up high enough to drop the k-member. and drop the kmember in steps. do everything in steps. once you get the motor and all out of the way make sure the first thing you do is get the car back as close to the ground as possible.

heres an idea. no the battery is not holding the car up. but thats when i did my swap if you look down its a small 2x2 holding the car up right off the ground and the back wheels on the ground. to save yourself about 200 dollars thats how i would do it. i did my v6-lt1 swap with nothing but a jack 2 jackstands a **** load of wood. ill keep looking for more pics from my swap.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn no more pics. i hope you get my idea.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jcdonjuan04
Hey I just had the Exact SAME thing happen to my car yesterday. When I heard that noise I thought my Engine was done for, but it turned out it was pretty simple to fix. A GM mechanic told me to check the oil, which didn't make any scene to b/c I'm very particular about the oil in my car and it been less than 1000 miles that I changed it. but when I checked it was missing some oil (which was odd b/c I could spot any licks), but I added the oil that was missing which was not much, I stared the car for like a minute or so it was still making sound, but it not as bad. So i changed my oil, and the ticking noised stopped I drove it for 100 miles after that and no problem; I drove it this morning and no noise.
lmao.. thats no oil change he needs
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

^Hey hey Visalia! Do they still have all of those NO CRUISING signs up? I miss In and Out.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

In and Out FTW!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vulcan2422
Well, depending on everybodys situation this week. I might or might not buy a happy hooker. Considering maybe we can do this during the weekends or when ever. Just PM when ever you have your days off LTWON!
I work pretty much when I feel like it so just shoot me a little advanced notice and I'll let you know if I can make it out
Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myltwon
I work pretty much when I feel like it so just shoot me a little advanced notice and I'll let you know if I can make it out
Well, the wife usually cooks on the weekends for us if we are working on the car. So maybe we can get something going on this weekend. We shall see. Corey is the one with the tools really
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not read every post, so forgive me if it has been mentioned. Check the torque converter bolts, a loose bolt could hit the pan rail or block webbing. It is loud as hell and sounds just like a rod knock. Also that knock is not in time with rocker speed. I had a crane gold rocker do the same thing, the needle bearings were captured by the bearing case, I would think scorpions are the same way. Anyway my bearing came all the way out and the rocker was riding directly on the shaft, it made no more noise than usual.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

If he hasn't already, we will get the car turned around and jacked up probably Sunday or Saturday, maybe Monday.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
hey vulcan. heres a little way to do all this without using a happy hooker. jack the car up. in the rear about a foot off the ground. have the bottom of the wheel about a foot off the ground and block it. do the same to the front jack it up as far as the jack will go then put blocks or whatever under it. the put a 4x4 on the jack and jack it up. will get you atleast another 4 inches. and keep doing that untill you can get it up high enough to drop the k-member. and drop the kmember in steps. do everything in steps. once you get the motor and all out of the way make sure the first thing you do is get the car back as close to the ground as possible.

heres an idea. no the battery is not holding the car up. but thats when i did my swap if you look down its a small 2x2 holding the car up right off the ground and the back wheels on the ground. to save yourself about 200 dollars thats how i would do it. i did my v6-lt1 swap with nothing but a jack 2 jackstands a **** load of wood. ill keep looking for more pics from my swap.
holy redenck engineering batman!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kevin97ss
I did not read every post, so forgive me if it has been mentioned. Check the torque converter bolts, a loose bolt could hit the pan rail or block webbing. It is loud as hell and sounds just like a rod knock. Also that knock is not in time with rocker speed. I had a crane gold rocker do the same thing, the needle bearings were captured by the bearing case, I would think scorpions are the same way. Anyway my bearing came all the way out and the rocker was riding directly on the shaft, it made no more noise than usual.
the rocker isn't centered on the valve tip which would make me assume it is loose

Quick Reply: Vulcans car is driving me f'ing nuts!