LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vulcans car is driving me f'ing nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Vulcans car is driving me f'ing nuts!

Alright guys I've got two videos. His wife drove the car to work, no problems yesterday. No problem to work today, she says in less than five minutes time today though the car was making a loud noise after leaving work.

OK here come the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Cr6lDRcdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdotuN8v0WY

I need to know everything I should look at before we assume its knocking. We just pulled out a 165k knocking motor out of it, this motor only has 65k on the shortblock, out of a impala, with fbody heads on it. It was put together by someone who knows what they are doing. I'm just scratching my head here. If this motor is knocking, well I don't know where we will go from here.

Has a tune by Ion. Header gaskets are Percy's. Pacesetter longtubes. CC503, comp or pac beehives(don't know), scorpion gold 1.6 NSAs.

After I took care of the Opti it ran fine for three days, now this. Can't win!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds like a rod knock.. exactly what mine sounded like.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's pretty loud and sharp for rod knock honestly, doesn't sound muffled at all. where's the noise originating from? hows the oil pressure?

best thing to do is watch the oil pressure and find if the noise is coming from the oil pan
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

IDK about you guys but the vid with the V/C off didn't have any oil coming out of the rockers..... That's really not a good sign.....hope there's enough of a budget to do another motor.....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this plus. i honestly wouldnt hardly run the motor. you might just be causing more problems then what you want. did it seem like it lost any power? i shattered my wrist pin in one of my old big blocks and thats exactly how it sounded. it was a really loud solid knocking. and what the engine builder told me is that the rod would come up and bust the bottom of the piston and the piston would fall back down enough to make contact with the pisont again. i wouldnt put my money on it bein that. also when i snapped my crank in half it didnt sound that bad but it also had a solid knocking sound. do a compression test (IMO) and finger **** all your pushrods and see if any of them have and crazy amount of play in it.

i know that kinda went all over the place but just trying to give as much advice as possible.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess the main things. are what is the oil psi sinc the sound started? and did she lose any power? also did you notice and oil all over the ground right after you shut it off? <<(the oil lose is a sure sign of a snapped crank if thats it)
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

One part is well his oil pressure gauge has always read high with this new motor. I did see oil coming from the #4 rockers, didn't give much though to looking at all of them. Sorry if the video quality isn't the greatest, its a sorta old Sony Handicam.

Yeah there really isn't a budget for another motor. Took four months to acquire this motor and all the other various stuff that went with it, transmission cooler/stall, tune, etc.... It was a long project, and I'm kinda pissed that after running for only six days such a young shortblock might be crapping out already. At this point his wife is talking about baseball batting the car.

It sat maybe two months after coming out of the Impala it was powering.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

high oil pressure is good unless the gauge is fucked. but did he lose and oil pressure at all? what the history on the shortblc=ock. was it rebuilt? or just slapped together with a topend.?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Launching!

At this point, I wanna get full coverage and burn this damn car to the ground. a 67k motor and a freaking knock already....FML
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Well your not the only one with that many miles and get a knock.. Me buddy bought a 94 T/A with 64,000 miles and at 68,000 it developed a knock.. I would narrow it down and talk to the engine builder and see what he can do to help as in doind another engine rebuild for free and you buy parts maybe.. I know it's a pain and sorry to hear man..
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Launching!

well, that was a good 2k spent on a motor that lasted about 200 miles...If that
Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell i had 380 miles on my 383 and got a knock but my oil pump drive gear sheared off and before i could shut it down it wiped out a bearing. so yea i feel your pain man lol
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Sad thing is, there is literally no funds at all to do a rebuild or to do a new motor....I just don't have a clue as to what to do now.....God I hate the LT1 now.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i know your pain man. i would personally pull the intake off and and check the oil pump drive gear. see if its sheared off. or put a screw driver (Flat) down the port and see if you can turn the oil pump by hand it should spin quite easy. if its free leave the intake and lift the motor up as high as possible and drop the pan and see if the screen popped off and then you might have sucked something shitty up. or like mine where my screen rattled around inside the crankcase and busted two piston skirts off.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

^ that makes sense since the stock pickup is only pressed into the pump. They used to be notorious for falling out, causing bearings to spin freely in the wind. I would look at the oil pump, and drive as first culprits. Then drop the pan out of the way and start pulling caps. You should be able to get away with a light turn on the crank and some oversize bearings and slap it together for a minimum if needed....probably not more than a few hundred bucks doing it yourself. Now that is the backyard way and there is no guarantee in how long it will last.....really sucks dude.....makes me want to keep mine stock....
Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Launching!

How about possibly a bad lifter, Lose RR or a Push rod?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like I said you gotta centralize where the sound is coming from , how your oil pressure is, etc.

if oil is not pumping through on only one of the lifters (like already said) that lifter is possibly collapsed which can lead to a sharp loud tick
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like a Push rod slipped off the rocker.. i had that same sound when i ran the car Past 6k and the rr were sa and the rod slipped off. i Pulled the vc and checked the rr found out i had a loose rr and the Push rod jumped off... if you listen to the video it accurate with the engine so look and check that first... just my2cents
Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by old93camaro
sounds like a Push rod slipped off the rocker.. i had that same sound when i ran the car Past 6k and the rr were sa and the rod slipped off. i Pulled the vc and checked the rr found out i had a loose rr and the Push rod jumped off... if you listen to the video it accurate with the engine so look and check that first... just my2cents

If it was just this problem.....I would be so freaking happy.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Imho it does sound like rod knock, but like others have said keep a eye on the oil pressure and try to find other possible sources that the knocking could be coming from. It would be a good idea to drop the oil pan too!

Quick Reply: Vulcans car is driving me f'ing nuts!