LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Swap .. Roller Rocker Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap .. Roller Rocker Questions?

Alright so earlier I did my research and searched around about RR because I wasn't very sure about them. I'm looking at getting some of the Ultra Gold Comp Cam 1.6rr 7/16 studs NSA. So with all my research everyone said that the NSA was the best that you could get and would over all be a better purchase for later.

So now with that I understand that I HAVE to have guideplates. I'm just not understanding it at all I'm sorry I sound like a retard but would rather ask and be fine that guess and F myself up. So I mean theres so man different types of sizes 3/8, 5/16, and 7/16. Also there are raised and Flat. Which ones do I choose which ones are the best for those RR above.

Ultra Gold Comp Cam 1.6rr NSA 7/16
Old 10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by imthat1guy
Alright so earlier I did my research and searched around about RR because I wasn't very sure about them. I'm looking at getting some of the Ultra Gold Comp Cam 1.6rr 7/16 studs NSA. So with all my research everyone said that the NSA was the best that you could get and would over all be a better purchase for later.

So now with that I understand that I HAVE to have guideplates. I'm just not understanding it at all I'm sorry I sound like a retard but would rather ask and be fine that guess and F myself up. So I mean theres so man different types of sizes 3/8, 5/16, and 7/16. Also there are raised and Flat. Which ones do I choose which ones are the best for those RR above.

Ultra Gold Comp Cam 1.6rr NSA 7/16
Self-aligning rockers have "tabs" on the roller tip that center the rocker over the valve stem.

Non self-aligning rockers do not have these additional tabs and require guideplates to center the rocker on the valve tip.

Self-aligning rockers:

Non self-aligning rockers using guideplates (under the rocker stud):

Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Wow Ramair really appreciate the quick responses and you seem like you really know your stuff. I completely understand the difference now with those pictures helped extremely. So now with choosing a guideplate which ones the best for my type of RR? I'm sorry if I seem to be bugging or anything. I don't mean to just would rather buy everything correct now then suffer later.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow Ramair really appreciate the quick responses and you seem like you really know your stuff. I completely understand the difference now with those pictures helped extremely. So now with choosing a guideplate which ones the best for my type of RR? I'm sorry if I seem to be bugging or anything. I don't mean to just would rather buy everything correct now then suffer later.
For my build I used Trickflow p/n TFS-30400623-8. They fit LT1 heads and stock diameter pushrods nicely (5/16").

Keep in mind you will also need HARDENED pushrods with these plates. Stock length is 7.2".
Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

I sure appreciate you helping out the needy with my questions. I'm probably going to just go with what you have and run that way. I already have Chromely harden pushrods that are stock length. Once again bud thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I sure appreciate you helping out the needy with my questions. I'm probably going to just go with what you have and run that way. I already have Chromely harden pushrods that are stock length. Once again bud thanks.
Good deal man. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guideplates you want, are the ones that fit. Might sound simple but even some gp's spec's for the LT1 dont fit right.

I recommend the ones Joe posted, I'm using them as well and the alignment of the pushrods is right on.

If you want to throw more money away the Isky adjustables work well too.

I would spend my money on a different rocker than the ultra golds. I was gonna use them myself but in my research found them to be fairly heavy over the nose, and bulky all around.

They would work fine and some guys swear by them, but you can do better for the money.

I really like the design of my comp ultra pro mags, as well as how they are performing. They are very light weight and rigid, which is what you want in a valvetrain. Just be warned they are fairly noisy.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, get the 7/16's ones as well. Studs are cheap.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Aww man I already got them ... Did I mess up should I have gotten the Comp Cam Ultra Mags?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Hey GREGROB,

I read in your sig about your car. We have about the same mods when I get my cam swap in and the same year camaros. You also ran a good time something that I would like to run. My question is where do you live because I'm about that high up too. Do you live in Colorado?

Quick Reply: Cam Swap .. Roller Rocker Questions?