LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTX block is cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess we lt1 guys like being the under dogs.....and we would like to be the under dog with a 427.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuel
i guess we lt1 guys like being the under dogs.....and we would like to be the under dog with a 427.
No doubt. I was actually planning to buy the block. The extra cubes would have been nice not to mention the durability and strength. But.........lets keep on pushing what we have. Its not the end of the world.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

i tryed looking up Robin Lawrence gmpp, and cat find a way to get a hold of him.i dont see why thay cant make those big cub ltx blocks, and sell them for $1000. the ls1 6.0 block is $750 a scoggen dickeys. if some one can get a hold of gm. tell them to build a 1000 blocks.............YOU BUILD THEM AND THAY WILL COME.........
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
8 Second Club

Did GM actually build the Bowtie blocks or were they outsourced?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I am sorry to hear this, I am not surprised.

Because I am hard-headed, (and because I have sunk too much money into my LTx car to ever pull out ) I will be sticking with the LTx platform for my track car for as far as I can see into the future.

I have owned my '94 Z28 since the summer of 1995. That bitch will probably be still sitting in my garage when they put me into a nursing home. I don't want to bastardize the car or pull a frankenstein and cheat by sticking an LSx in the engine bay. I'll continue to bang my head against my LT4, trying to make it quick and fast.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

WTF!

I've been holding out on a build since the news of the LTX block broke... guess it's back to the old 383ci build.

I REALLY wanted the torque of a 434ci LTX to move my pig of a convertible!
Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Sad to hear the news but I am not giving up on the LTX. The LTX has run low 8's forced inducted with a stock block and now high 8's on nitrous. Maybe the stock blocks are strong enough?
For 99.9% of the builds out there I think the stock block is plenty. I have a feeling that even if Dart made the big cube LTx block that most people wouldn't be making enough power to really need it.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's right. Most just want a big motor for bragging rights on teh internetz
Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
hashtagBMW

Ya'll had to know this would happen, I could never imagine a company spending all the time to R&D something of that scale for such a small target market.

So, I'm not suprised.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

I could see them selling at most 100 blocks the first year. Then maybe 10-20 per year after that. Not sure how much R&D costs. Since the block is soooo close to a SBC I don't see that it would take much R&D.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TWS
I don't want to bastardize the car or pull a frankenstein and cheat by sticking an LSx in the engine bay. I'll continue to bang my head against my LT4, trying to make it quick and fast.
Very well put TWS. I share your sentiment. People were telling me to go the LSx route years ago when I finally pulled my old motor but for me this was never an option. I fell in love with the LT1 engine as a kid in high school back when the LT1 was destroying everything on the street. I can even remember cops coming to my high school parking lot with their Caprice’s, opening up the hood and showing off their new “Corvette engines”. We all pretty much know the handicaps of the Gen II design; ah well. I can live with it. Its more principle & pride than anything else. I’m personally not into any of the non LTx upgrades either… the coil packs or HEI distributor conversions or even the Super Victor/Vic Jr EFI intake & elbow transformations. My car was born with an Optispark, and It’ll die with an Optispark. Same goes for the Olde School raised fin intake manifold. I think those 2 pieces are so much of the LT1/4’s identity.

Originally Posted by buzz12586
For 99.9% of the builds out there I think the stock block is plenty...
Word. However it does suck that we don't have the flexibility to wisely build too far past 400 cid.

EDIT: That is in no way a knock again Tony or anyone else. I toured your site this morning funny enough and that motor of yours if something else. I think your elbow setup is the one of the nicest b/c you are fitting in under a stock looking hood - don't most guys with an elbow have to run a raised cowl hood or something? I'm know at your power level a stock style intake manifold would be impossible to maintain; same with factory style aftermarket ignition like an MSD billet opti, etc.

Last edited by DVS LT1; 10-30-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Very well put TWS. I share your sentiment. People were telling me to go the LSx route years ago when I finally pulled my old motor but for me this was never an option. I fell in love with the LT1 engine as a kid in high school back when the LT1 was destroying everything on the street. I can even remember cops coming to my high school parking lot with their Caprice’s, opening up the hood and showing off their new “Corvette engines”. We all pretty much know the handicaps of the Gen II design; ah well. I can live with it. Its more principle & pride than anything else. I’m personally not into any of the non LTx upgrades either… the coil packs or HEI distributor conversions or even the Super Victor/Vic Jr EFI intake & elbow transformations. My car was born with an Optispark, and It’ll die with an Optispark. Same goes for the Olde School raised fin intake manifold. I think those 2 pieces are so much of the LT1/4’s identity.
if it makes you happy, then theres no prob. with that. i went thru similar thing like you. i was also in high school, but fortunatly my uncle who is a diehard chevy man. bought a brand new z28. black ttops.m6. which was my first efi car. i got it running real good. but then my uncle bought a new ls1
z28 and i also sold my lt1 for down payment of brand new ls1 z28.
one of the best decisions ive made, automotive wise.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I could see them selling at most 100 blocks the first year. Then maybe 10-20 per year after that. Not sure how much R&D costs. Since the block is soooo close to a SBC I don't see that it would take much R&D.
hay tony, imagin a gm big cube block being sold at scoggen dickey's for $900 bucks. thay couldnt keep them of the shelves.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemeSS
if it makes you happy, then theres no prob. with that. i went thru similar thing like you. i was also in high school, but fortunatly my uncle who is a diehard chevy man. bought a brand new z28. black ttops.m6. which was my first efi car. i got it running real good. but then my uncle bought a new ls1
z28 and i also sold my lt1 for down payment of brand new ls1 z28.
one of the best decisions ive made, automotive wise.
That's cool too! Whatever turns your crank

I think my choice had a lot to do with my love of the 3rd gen Z28/IROC's as a kid in grade school. Those were my favourite cars. When the 93's came to town it seemed like the ultimate evolution of the squared Z28 cars prior - sleeker, more powerful, sexier - and I fell in love with early 4th gen. When I was at the dealership looking to buy a Camaro in early 2002 I priced out one of the few remaining '02 SS anniversary editions (loaded) and debated using my father's supplier discount. I couldn't help notice the Monte Carlo on one side and the Malibu (or whatever other model it was) on the other side, and I thought to myself "these all look the same; and it doesn't even like a Camaro anymore". That realization, plus the fact the supplier discount amounted to barely 3 or 4 grand (off a $43k CAD sticker price) made my decision easier. Only other Camaro I'd want to buy at this point would be a 1990 "IROC-Z" Camaro (the real IROC) - but that would be only after a C6 ZO6

PS - anyone remember what original 4th gen Camaro leather seats use to look like??? (before they started borrowing that perfo-stich stuff from the Pontiac's?)

EDIT: PS sorry for usurping this thread. I'm done.

Yes shame no LTx block. Did enyone ever find an LT1 bow tie block? (were those even real - I mean more than 1 or 2?)

Last edited by DVS LT1; 06-14-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

I predicted this to happen. I knew not enough LT1 guys would be interested, let alone willing to dish out the dough. That's too bad.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been pissed all day.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buzz12586
For 99.9% of the builds out there I think the stock block is plenty. I have a feeling that even if Dart made the big cube LTx block that most people wouldn't be making enough power to really need it.
completely disagree. why do i "need to make enough power" to need this block?

I [would] buy it anyways because with 427 CI i can easily have alot more streetability even if i only wanted to build to 450-500rwhp.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon 383
I predicted this to happen. I knew not enough LT1 guys would be interested, let alone willing to dish out the dough. That's too bad.
i dont remember there ever being a price quote other than the comment that it would be in the ballpark of the gen I SHP. as more and more LT1 blocks are blown up and left to rust (especially after that cash for clunkers horse crap) it would be more than worth it to me and every lt1 owner to have a source for NEW blocks let alone something with a larger cube capacity. they might as well stop making heads too since block supply is getting smaller and smaller.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Well, this sucks, but I kinda figured this would happen. The market just isn't there anymore...it is almost 2010

Quick Reply: LTX block is cancelled