LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTX block is cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevo9389
(especially after that cash for clunkers horse crap)
yea its actually pretty sad how many LT1s i saw getting turned into that.

I'm starting my search for my next block now.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On a couple builds I have seen friends go through several potential cores that the machine would reject for what ever reason, so good cores are some what tricky to find. I agree with the fact that 99% of the builds are well within the factory blocks limits, I have seen the factory blocks handle 700HP+ on forced induction and nitrous set ups. People claim the stock bores suck for motor builds, but how many builds are really getting every thing out of a 396 or 383 or even a stock short block? Not really suprised the SHP block got cancelled, sucks, but oh well. I think the market for them left the station 10 years ago.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
completely disagree. why do i "need to make enough power" to need this block?

I [would] buy it anyways because with 427 CI i can easily have alot more streetability even if i only wanted to build to 450-500rwhp.

WHAT? You can build a 383/396 with the right heads(23*) and make 600hp
on pumpgas ALL MOTOR with the stock block. Why in the HELL would you pop for a Dart block? If you wanted to make some REAL power with an LT1 build a 396 with some SB2's and make 700hp on pumpgas, its already been done with the stock block.

The guys whining in this thread couldnt take advantage of the Dart block ANYWAY.

This is the EXACT reason why Dart backed off of making this block. The LT1 is an entry level car that most young people are not gonna be able to afford a build that requires that block. Most cant afford a build to max out the stock block.

Hell you can make a 410 inch LT1, its been done.

You guys want power, it aint in the block. Spend some money on the top end of your 383 or 396 to make some power. The combos are out there and are proven.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody's situation is different. I agree that the only reason I really wanted this block was the "427" bragging rights and increased torque potential.

I personally have been bound to keeping my car. My very sick grandpa had a 67 Firebird and drove my 97 WS6 and told me if I ever sold it he would turn over in his grave. Despite the inadequacies and potential design flaws of the LT1 that was fixed with all the new engines out there (ls1, ls2, ls3, ls7, ls9, the list goes on and on), I will still stay true to my car because it has sentimental value to me now more than it did before. This was also the first car I completely fell in love with. Bought it my senior year of high school and despite how "old" it is, people always compliment it (except those D-bags in Audis, BMW's, and Mercedes in my school whose daddy's bought them anything)

The stock LTx block has more potential than 99.9% of us will ever need to use; including myself. I'll stick to my eventual 355 custom turbo or supercharger build. To each is their own!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FFB, I agree with you except for the fact that when you add up the machine work to make the stock block a big stroker, you could have had the Dart block for just a little more, given they had stuck close to the pricing they had hinted at.

While not a lot of people can afford builds that max out the stock block, many people DO build 383/396's all the time. To have the monster tq for a street motor and have the headroom to grow at a price not a lot higher than a stroker prepped stock block is where this block would have had its niche.

Its all a moot point now, though.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
WHAT? You can build a 383/396 with the right heads(23*) and make 600hp
on pumpgas ALL MOTOR with the stock block. Why in the HELL would you pop for a Dart block? If you wanted to make some REAL power with an LT1 build a 396 with some SB2's and make 700hp on pumpgas, its already been done with the stock block.
lets see:

-torque potential
-by the time i did splayed main caps to a stock block alone id already be at $500, let alone the machining... why not have more potential while im spending the money?
-stronger block, even if i dont need it.

The guys whining in this thread couldnt take advantage of the Dart block ANYWAY.

This is the EXACT reason why Dart backed off of making this block. The LT1 is an entry level car that most young people are not gonna be able to afford a build that requires that block. Most cant afford a build to max out the stock block.
People that dont need the block, but want to purchase it anyway are why the product failed? huh???

Other people whinning is not my problem. No i couldnt afford this block now but that doesnt mean i wasnt saving for it. Dart should not give a damn if i intend to make 450 rwhp or 800. As long as the money is in their hands they are profitting and frankly these street builds would only be helping sales so that the block could actually be produced in the first place and bought by racers. Dart probably wouldnt have even considered building it if it would only have only sold to the small sub-9 second racing crowd.

Hell you can make a 410 inch LT1, its been done.

You guys want power, it aint in the block. Spend some money on the top end of your 383 or 396 to make some power. The combos are out there and are proven.
Im not going to argue that I NEED 427ci but if it only costs a few hundred more in the long run, tell me why the hell wouldnt I? (We never got to see what the pricing was going to be so you cant say i wasnt being hopeful) A wilder top end can hurt driveability whereas increased cubes do not. Just because 700hp has been done doesnt mean it was street friendly.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wanted the torque that 427+ cubes provide... not everyone wants to build a ***** out race motor.

Sure it can all be done on a 383ci, but it will have less torque and that's what I was after.

A healthy 434ci peaking around 6500-6800, would have kicked the pants off the same setup running with 383ci.. I don't care how you slice it.

Sucks... I had hopes, but like everyone else, was almost expecting this.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

you know, not every one is going to want a 427 with big heads. if i have my cubs right, you can still build a 414 with a set of real good ported heads and have a midddle of the rod motor making 550 hp.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

sad to hear. anyone know what the estimated cost of the block would have been anyway?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

mabe $1500
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for some reason i am not suprised about this news.......
Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

$1500 is not bad for a block that would be totally ready to go, I know I was going to purchase one. Just think of all the money ou spend to recondition the stock block; align bore, cylinder bore, hot tank, decking, etc.... it all adds up
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know someone local who bought a gen 1 SHP block, they are NOT ready to go. They are a good foundation but they still need further machining, this was not going to be cheaper than machining a LT1 block.

Maybe for the first time ever I agree with fatboy. The overwhelming majority saying we need this block one would not have put up the cash once it was available and two IF they put up the cash would not have done it justice.

You want torque try building one RIGHT. The builds that lack torque were just done wrong. I already have trouble managing the torque I have, a stroker even just a 383 should be very hard to manage in a true street car.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

the project has been toast for months, they just anounced it.

the stock blocks are plenty strong if you ask me. i mean of all the guys here who want one, how many plan on making over 1000 at the crank????

all i have to say is lswhat?????
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duane everybody out there wanted this block for tq doesnt have a "bad build" that "lacks tq".

Maybe they wantwed MORE torque...
The kind of brutal crap your pants tq you get from a 500" big block.

I agree with you that builds that arent put together wont run efficiently, but you cant make the assumption that everyone who had an interest in this block doesnt know how to build an engine and wanted to use it for a bandaid
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This weekend my little motor was doing mid 1.5s spinning. Imagine the torque I would have with another .250-.375 stroke?? A properly done stroker in a stock LT1 block should be all you can handle on true street suspension
Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was mentioned above, LT1s can make up to 700hp on pump gas N/A. And It's not like a lot of people are hitting that barrier...how many 700hp LT1's do you see anyway?

Having a "427" or a "454" is cool, but mostly pointless-it's like the whole WS6/SS vs. a base model Formula/TA or a Z28....it's mostly badges and bragging rights-not really all that much "better" functionally

...when it comes down to it, the real applicable differences are miniscule...the biggest difference seems to be the money you spend...jmo
Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys... I mean for a moment there, I guess I just wanted more cubes to work with.

Now that I realize more cubic inches suck... I'm just going to leave her at the stock 5.7 displacement. What a moron I am for wanting more options.

Now I'm going to go make fun of all the big cube LSX donkeys and tell them how they are compensating for lack of build skills by heaping on loads and loads of unneeded displacement.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
You want torque try building one RIGHT. The builds that lack torque were just done wrong. I already have trouble managing the torque I have, a stroker even just a 383 should be very hard to manage in a true street car.
I agree here, Im making 450+rwtq in a 388 with what most would consider to be a large street HR. Key is compression, port efficiency and a cam with proper valve events, not just cubic inches.

Exactly... **** most can't afford ported heads and a cam, but suddenly they'll be building "healthy 434s peaking at 6800rpm"?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Houdini
Thanks guys... I mean for a moment there, I guess I just wanted more cubes to work with.

Now that I realize more cubic inches suck... I'm just going to leave her at the stock 5.7 displacement. What a moron I am for wanting more options.

Now I'm going to go make fun of all the big cube LSX donkeys and tell them how they are compensating for lack of build skills by heaping on loads and loads of unneeded displacement.
you do realize what the "big cube LSX donkeys" are spending for those cubes and the topends that make the cubes work? The're spending more on their valvetrain and heads than 95% of LT1 guys will spend on an entire motor.

Quick Reply: LTX block is cancelled