LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rebuilt motor not starting, thinking bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rebuilt motor not starting, thinking bad gas?

Alright guys, so I got my motor to turn over now with my LT4 starter, but it is not starting... It will pop one in a while and that is it. So, I checked the AC Voltage from the Opti, good, checked the spark at coil, plenty there, checked spark on cylinder one, nice and blue across spark tester, so I have spark. Next, I know I am getting fuel as the number one plug was wet. Double checked timing, right on TDC with arrow up on balancer. So, I have spark, I have fuel but no poof lol. Everything on motor is same, except for short block. The car has been down for 6 months and the motor has been out for about 2 months. I smelled the gas and it doesn't smell to "fresh" and when it fired once, I sniffed the exhaust and it didn't smell clean. Also, I pulled two plugs on the drivers head and they had some black on them, so I am thinking that the gas is old and cannot fully light, causing the black on the plugs? Tomorrow, I am going to disconnect the fuel line at the filter and drain the old gas and then put in new gas and see where it goes. If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Bill