LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

mcleod street twin question ( i may have f-ed up...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mcleod street twin question ( i may have f-ed up...)

anybody who is familiar with the mcleod street twin knows about all the shims and stuff that are used in assembly... well i jumped the gun to get the flywheel turned and make sure it was balanced for my rotating assembly... i took note of how many and what shims were used in the various parts of it... but i didn't separate them for each stud and bolt... i have all the P/P shims in one bag and all the floater bolts and shims in another... and i know how many go on each part... but im not sure now if they are all the same thickness... can anybody chime in and let me no if im ok by just splitting them all up evenly like they were... ill check the clearance from the first disk to the floater when its installed to be safe but now im worried...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

McLeod has a website http://mcleodind.com/forum/index.php

maybe you can get some answers there?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

look and see if you dont have a even number to match the 5 studs. i mixed mine up (thanks to my x wife) once. like 5 of each size, know what i mean?
Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

mine is off the car and i will be picking it up from balancing tommorrow, i can mic each shim and tell you where it goes by tommorrow night. IF all the shims are the same size, mine uses 3 shims underneath the big spacers, which go underneat the pressure plate. shims touch the flywheel.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just put it in the way i was going to ... i checked the clearance and i think itll be fine... at least im hoping... all the shims seemed to be the same size... so i just split them up evenly how they came off and bolted it all up... had a hell of a time getting the dowls on the trans to line up with the bellhousing though... damnn that was a PITA
Old 11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

there is a measurement you can take with a feeler gauge between the flywheel and 1st disk. i can not remember the size but it is posted somewhere on their site. that stray thought just hit me.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

I missed a couple when taking mine apart too. Check the thickness of them and if you have an equal number. There is a measurement you take with a feeler after it's put together and torque it down between the plates.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made sure all those shims went exactly where they came from. Wish I could remeber how they went,

Your clutch is probably not aligned correct if the trans wont slide on all the way. I had to redo mine a few times test fit, then torque down all the pressure plate bolts. Slipped right in once it was aligned.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i got the trans on.... the alignment tool was slipping on effortlessly so it was lined up.... just hope the clearance is good with the shims and stuff... iv put clutches in before just never one this complicated... most iv done were stock replacements or stock like pieces... thanks for the help though guys
Old 11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

i got min back yesterday and installed... it goes like this:

the floater plate has the 3 bolts holding it on, under the head of the bolt is the lock washer, and the backside of the floater plate between the flywheel gets 2 DARK shims, and one of 3 of the smaller but THICK spacers.

on the actual studs for the pressure plate, the BIG washer goes on followed by 3 of the lighter colored shims, then the pp goes on and the 12 pt nut goes on over a zinc colored washer.

hope that helps.

edit: anyone got new or poly mounts? i had to jack the front of the engine up to tilt it downward and beat on the trans tunnel a bit to get my trans in, what a pita.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea mine had a some different shims in there... but t hey are probably all different.... my new issue is im having a load of trouble getting the clutch fork to slide into the Throw out bearing.... anybody have any tips on how to get this thing inthere good.... thanks..

Quick Reply: mcleod street twin question ( i may have f-ed up...)