Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bent valve?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
You attack anything that doesn't fit into your logic box.
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Burnt plug wires won't cause a backfire problem.
That is attacking? Me asking you to explain why is attacking? Yes, as stated you are being over dramatic and sensitive and again, you just replacing plug wires and your problem going away doesn't necessarily mean the plug wires were the single component to blame.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can a burnt plug wire be responsible for that?
A backfire is ignition outside the chamber, either intake or exhaust. For this to happen you have to have an unburnt mixture enter either the intake or exhaust. There are only a few ways that you can have an incomplete burn, too much fuel, not enough air, weak spark, or as you indicated too early/late of a spark as the mixture is coming or going and the valves on either side are still open. If you have a burnt wire you will have a weak or no spark that will cause a raw mixture to enter a hot primary tube and possibly fire on it's way out.
You asked, I answered

Have you ever experienced a backfire problem with a burnt plug wire or is this just an opinion through your reasoning?
I've had everything from mildly burnt to almost charred in half plug wires before and have never had a problem. Hesitation under load, yes. Spark jumping from wire to a ground, yes, but never a backfire.
I have had backfiring issues on my Camaro just before I sold it. I swapped the opti with the one from my truck and it didn't fix the issue. Eventhough the stock plugs/wires looked fine I replaced them and the problem went away. In either case, whether it was bad plugs or bad wires, spark was obviously not firing at one or more cylinders causing my stumble, hesitation and backfiring.
You asked again and I answered

Since it's never happened to you it's just not possible, right?
I ask and you don't answer, just deflect. Carry on.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Village Troll

Received 535 Likes on 387 Posts

Was I attacking you? You accuse me of attacking you, I ask how, you refuse to answer. Answer that before you go on with your "deflect" tirade.
I already answered you. No I do not think plug wires could cause a backfire issue at least on a LT1. I have explained why I believe that. Re-read if you are having trouble.

Quick Reply: How much timing chain slack is O.K.?