LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where did they all go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 324 Likes on 246 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I think one of the biggest factors is that there is nothing new coming out..as in that block was cancelled, and I'm sure there are other things that were in plan that have been cancelled.

Everything is going LSX..just the way people are doing things now.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished building an LT1 and honestly the only reason I stayed with an LTx was that the change over to and LSx would have been cost prehibitive. Other than that I do have a sentimental attachment to the car itself, so I didn't want to just get rid of it and move to an LSx.

As for the lack of experts, most of what can be done to an LTx motor has been done, cataloged and filled away. The motor doesn't seem to have many secrets left and anyone that is trying to wring the last drop of hp out of their SBC has already moved to the LSx platform.

That being said, my LTx car sounds stock (with a CC305 cam) and is more than capable and some of us really do like driving the underdog. There's something funny about having an LTx car because everyone expects them to be "slow"....
Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most people get tired of looking through 100 "Which exhaust should I get" threads.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I agree everything that could be done has been done. There are some impressive LTX's out there but everyone above is right most people traded and went LSX b/c of the easy power and upgrades vs the LTX cost.

I'm attached to my Firebird, and also have a LS1 and a LS3 so I think I'm good. Although I am fighting with my LT4(leaks nothing big) right now it is a beast and the motor is tight and I LOVE IT! I hate the whole water pump/opti set up but you take the good with the bad.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see why the LT1 is considered such a black art engine, the same tricks that work on a gen 1 small block works on a LT1. Its not rocket science.

Do your research, buy proven parts and go fast.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1redta
I am on a budget (wife, two kids, house, blah blah) also. some younger people have more disposable income for hotrods, I mean have you seen all the damn civics? BESIDES LT1's look and sound better.
It's very true. My dad is in his 50's and likes modding as much as I do, however he doesn't have the disposable income to spend on his car and bike like I do. Putting two kids through college, house, bills etc., aka more important things to spend money on. When your younger you have less responsibilities, no wife/kids etc. so you can be like me and throw away money at a piece of depreciating metal (not that it's the smartest thing to do).
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IM married with children,lol and im building a racecar for myself and putting one together for my wife now.. The kids are all teens + now but we still pay for them, but we have gotta to live our lives to ya know
Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
8 Second Club

There is still a few older experienced guys around. Just not on the forums as often. I am not on as often anymore. I remember becoming a member of cz28 about 10+ years ago. When I bought my car there was no forum to seek for tech help. I had to learn the hard way. Jump in head first. Times have changed!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Our cars are getting older and those that have the money to mod have already moved on to LSX. With the average cost of LT1s down to next to nothing anyone can go out and buy one...including 16yo kids. The ones that have stuck with the LT1 either A: are die hard LT1 fans and they have some strange sort of sentimental value B: feel they have something to prove to the LS1 crowd that looks down their nose at LT1s or C: they don't know any better and are gluttons for punishment. Either way I agree that things have gotten a little silly around here with too many biased opinions (vendor nutswingers) or completely worthless conversations but I have nothing bettor to do soooo.........

Pretty much nailed it on the head right there. I love the look on cocky LS1 owners faces when they get outran by an outdated less technologicaly advanced boat anchor with the worst design from GM the OPTI.

Also Whats funny is I have been called a "uniformed buyer" for sticking with my LT1 by a couple of LS1 owners. What the dumbasses dont realize is everytime I look down the street theres an LS1 F-body runnin around.

How many times do you see a nice LT1 F-body?
Plus I hate freakin T-Tops or I would own an LS1 WS6
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

here's my .02... yes unfortunately the Lt1 market has gone to the little high school crowd with no automotive knowledge what-so-ever. but for the ones who take pride in them can really make a nice car out of them. i wouldn't trade mine for nothing. and everyone always speaks of the optispark being the worst thing and how they are awful motors. well yes it was put in a bad spot. but my gah its just like any other freakin distributor that needs maintenance! a cap and rotor every 50,000 miles or so and make sure the water pump doesn't leak and it'll rock and roll. general maintenance and inspection people!

and what about ls1's?? they had a bad problem with piston slap but is that ever mentioned.. oh no of course not! cause everyone to the ls1.

end rant.. lol
Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dunno i just remember how things were 5 years ago when i joined cz28.com, ya had fastfatboy and his dad (i think?) duking it out on there, bret and his dad duking it out with everybody else, and Injuneer trying to manage it all. No Ai nuthuggers anywhere either. I guess I'll do my part and try to post up some advanced-type tech and hope the noobs GTFO
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

I keep My LT1 because i love it and it is part of the family, I also love pissing off all my buddies with there LSX's. I could go out and get a LSX today if i wanted but i dont, Ill just keep dumping money into it that i will never get back and have lots of fun with it
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A lot of the guys I look to for guidance don't post anymore because so few listen to what actually works anyway.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

yes, but obviously there isn't just one way to do things correctly
Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did I say I listen to ONE guy?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

On the plus side LTXs are still getting faster and faster everyday!!
The real prob is, that it is so easy to make a LS1 fast and theres tons and tons of aftermarket for them.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE= I had to learn the hard way. Jump in head first.[/QUOTE]

why dont more people do as Tony did and try new combinations on their motor instead of waiting for someone else to post their new combo on this site. but i am with wicked94z about the same kind of threads all the time.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

you cant bash noobs for asking questions that you dont want to see. you all were there one time or another. i can honestly say not one person on this board was born knowing what they know now. it took other people that have been there and done that, to pass the knowledge down to others. granted it seems more kids pop in with the same questions, due to the fact they dont want to look for it. most people want it handed to them and not have to work at it. bringing bert back is like sticking a splinter back in after you have pulled it out. he is busy making friends (sarcasm) on another site with his habit of insulting people. in other words leave the trash in the gutter. my .02 worth
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
you cant bash noobs for asking questions that you dont want to see. you all were there one time or another. i can honestly say not one person on this board was born knowing what they know now. it took other people that have been there and done that, to pass the knowledge down to others. granted it seems more kids pop in with the same questions, due to the fact they dont want to look for it. most people want it handed to them and not have to work at it. bringing bert back is like sticking a splinter back in after you have pulled it out. he is busy making friends (sarcasm) on another site with his habit of insulting people. in other words leave the trash in the gutter. my .02 worth
But as Caprice said, when the young ones ASK for advice or help...they want to tell you MORE than you know. If that was the case why did they ask anyway?

The search function on here works DAMN good, read and learn.

It takes cubic DOLLARS to go fast not cubic inches. WHen kids realize THAT they will be WAY ahead of the game. Makes no difference what the engine is, that rule will ALWAYS remain the same.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
those that have stuck with LTx's are somehow attached to the motor. My engine builder shakes his head all the time at why I decided to go this route when i could have a 434 ci SBC with 18 degree heads, belt drive distributor and all the fixins for about the same price...
Same here.

I could have had a procharged LSX for what I have into my build, and made a ton more power with still better streetability instead of it being an obnoxious loud NA build . I think I'm like the only LTX guy that goes to my speed shop - the rest are corvettes, LSX f-bodies, and LSX swapped muscle cars.

Quick Reply: Where did they all go?