LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Where did they all go?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Last I heard (years ago) he was working on an oil rig somewhere in the Gulf as some sort of engineer. Dude is brilliant and for as smart as he is, funny as hell and great to hang out with.
I talked to Christian a couple months ago. Asked him for some tech help He is married with a couple little ones. He is an engineer at Crutchfield.
He always reminded me of a young Mike Dunn.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I really don't get why you guys are so closed minded when it comes to aftermarket computers. Almost every really fast LTX out there runs DFI, FAST, etc. Very few run the stock computer. It kills me when you get so excited about all the different band aids that get peddled on this forum. I purchased a new Formula in 1995. The first thing to go was the factory computer for a then new GEN 6 DFI. I have never looked back!
I'd like to see you guys with the Gen 6 stuff switch over to Gen 7 and make us po' folks a smokin deal on your old Gen 6 stuff
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I really don't get why you guys are so closed minded when it comes to aftermarket computers. Almost every really fast LTX out there runs DFI, FAST, etc. Very few run the stock computer. It kills me when you get so excited about all the different band aids that get peddled on this forum. I purchased a new Formula in 1995. The first thing to go was the factory computer for a then new GEN 6 DFI. I have never looked back!
If I could do a FAST or DFI for around a grand I sure as hell would! Hell, I thought about a FAST system and a crank trigger but ditched that idea once I started researching and calculating the cost and effort needed.

Then they make some progress with the LSX computer, and now the EFI Conn. LSX swap looks to be an awesome alternative for the price.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michigan Skip
I'd like to see you guys with the Gen 6 stuff switch over to Gen 7 and make us po' folks a smokin deal on your old Gen 6 stuff
I think that I still have two GEN 6 set-ups. Maybe I can hook you up!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
The ones that have stuck with the LT1 either A: are die hard LT1 fans and they have some strange sort of sentimental value B: feel they have something to prove to the LS1 crowd that looks down their nose at LT1s or C: they don't know any better and are gluttons for punishment.
Can I get option D for myself? "All of the above."
Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Can I get option D for myself? "All of the above."
I'm with you on that one!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

x3
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Here is the scenario: A thread is started about how to build a 500rwhp LT1 stroker. The thread has 35 different people posting their opinion.....of which only 5-10 of them actually own (or have owned) a LT1 stroker. Now probably half of those people actually built/spec'd the motor themselves, and half of that half actually have a motor that really peforms like the thread topic (500rwhp) was asking for. So, in my opinion, you have 2-3 people in these threads that actually have the credentials to answer the questions asked. For the other 30+ people that have posted an opinion, their pride gets hurt by information from others that they believe is wrong, and it turns into teen-dramafest. Now we have hundreds of people reading these threads and it just propagates from there

Jason[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head, Jason! I was one of those guys that didn't spend a whole lot of time in the forums, but checked them out every now and then. This is obviously my first post in years, and the reason I quit the forums was because of all the teen drama.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

another vote to bring bret back! what does the mods/admin think of it? any chance?
Originally Posted by 97LT1
I have stuck with my LT1 because I have an attachment to it for almost 12 yrs. I know the LSX has more potential, better aftermarket etc, but keep my car because im attached to the platform is some weird way.
ditto, you gotta love the sight and sounds of an LT1 camaro. plus its always more fun to be the underestimated underdog and all the more satisfying when you win.
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A lot of the guys I look to for guidance don't post anymore because so few listen to what actually works anyway.
very true, too many in-expierenced/newb people open their mouths and shut their eyes when they should be doing the opposite. I think some people just don't realize who the experts are around here and can't differentiate the facts from all the opinions that fly around here. it might be a good idea to have an "LT1 expert" label above the avatars for the guru's here..
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FMS_FTW
I was gonna say that.. the LS cars that can beat you must be nowhere near streetable or have a stock intake/tb/maf and gm heads on street tires with a 6-speed and 20k miles on the motor that has only been in the car driving for 7 months

Hey, Im just sayin'. There arent hardly any 10 second all motor REAL street driven LS cars around here. They are all on spray to get in the 10's or faster.

There are plenty of trailered LS cars in the 10's or quicker. But again I am talking about street cars.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Hey, Im just sayin'. There arent hardly any 10 second all motor REAL street driven LS cars around here. They are all on spray to get in the 10's or faster.
there are cam only/ bolton/ stalled lsx's in the 10.60's @ 3250LB. Look up chris1313, his is stock internals too.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

I love my LT1. Its a different kind and think that kind of classifies you while your out. Yeah in a high performance world the LTX built is not faster then built LSX. But come on wasn't the LS motors build based on the LT. I mean if the LT was beating the LS and was overall a better motor wouldn't GM have not done there jobs in building a good motor? We're the grandfathers out there and still around.

In other things in a more amatuer world of drag racing around your city my
LT1 does good. With a decent budget set of head and cam your able to put 400rwhp to the floor and still daily driver it. Thats a lot better then most wantabe street racers driving around with an exhaust. The motor came out with 265whp from the getgo. Say you make 400rwhp and maybe throw in a 100 shot when you want to take some big motors on and your in the same rankings as I see it. Plus with so many other cars to mess with like mustangs, and all the turbo cars they got out ( WRX, SRT-4) Why always compare ourselves to the LSX. .02
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

I agree there is always not enought knowlage in here, I have a 396 lt in my 97 ta and im switching over to an ls, theres just not enought aftermarket or alot of kids in here fight over what spark plug and mufflers to run there's alot of talk and not enough doing.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be keeping my LT1 because it was simply the first car I fell in love with.

I talked to my dad a few times about possibly selling it and asked his opinion. He said, "Don't sell the car that was your first love. You will always end up missing it."

Despite the fact that my LT1 is practically stock with a built up driveline, it is still a blast to drive. I could home occasionally from college and the first thing I do is fire her up and go on a cruise. The longer I am away from the car, the more I miss it and cherish it.

If I want an LSx, I'll just buy a G8 GT/GXP after college and call it a day (atleast for a few years).

As far as LTx vs. LSx, I love watching the underdogs in football and hockey prevail and beat up on the better equipped team

Our cars are going to be classics soon. Hell, my resale value has gone up a whole bunch since I have gotten the car a little bit over a year ago and have added another 7k to the clock
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

There are fast LSX's and fast LTX's but it's all about making the car as a whole work together and not about bigger cams/heads/intakes etc... The difference between your fast cars and your mediocre slower cars are not the parts but the combnination of parts, Horsepower, traction and knowledge of racing. I was at my local track two weeks ago and my car ran 10.82@127.8mph straight motor and my freind told a couple people what the car has and that I was not spraying any n2o, they looked at him like he was retarded and strated saying we were lying b/c no LT1 runs 10's on motor like that. LOL I like it when people don't know any better think we are cheating. LOL Some people throw a ton of money into these cars and run 12's while others stick to boltons, learn how to make the suspension work and run 11's, it's not all about horsepower although it helps to have big hp, torque is what moves you. Later Clint
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I will be keeping my LT1 because it was simply the first car I fell in love with.

If I want an LSx, I'll just buy a G8 GT/GXP after college and call it a day (atleast for a few years).
I thought that too, then 9yrs later I bought a ls1!

Good choice, I love the g8, it's alot nicer than the new camaro imo!

Originally Posted by T/ALT1
There are fast LSX's and fast LTX's but it's all about making the car as a whole work together and not about bigger cams/heads/intakes etc... The difference between your fast cars and your mediocre slower cars are not the parts but the combnination of parts, Horsepower, traction and knowledge of racing. I was at my local track two weeks ago and my car ran 10.82@127.8mph straight motor and my freind told a couple people what the car has and that I was not spraying any n2o, they looked at him like he was retarded and strated saying we were lying b/c no LT1 runs 10's on motor like that. LOL I like it when people don't know any better think we are cheating. LOL Some people throw a ton of money into these cars and run 12's while others stick to boltons, learn how to make the suspension work and run 11's, it's not all about horsepower although it helps to have big hp, torque is what moves you. Later Clint
Well said sir!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Where did all the real knowlegeable, experienced LTX guys go? There's only a handful of what I would consider LTX "experts" on here, and it makes things ****** boring. Just like the advanced tech section over at cz28.com... ghost town. We need more arguing and bantering on here. And not the LE vs AI bullshit where 95% of the people posting are 16 year olds with spark plugs and CAI as their biggest mods. Maybe there's just not enough advancement in the LTX world to argue about? One easy solution i know would be to bring Bret back
We all traded our LTx in for Hybrids here in Oregon and are now going GREEN
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
there are cam only/ bolton/ stalled lsx's in the 10.60's @ 3250LB. Look up chris1313, his is stock internals too.

MAN can you READ????????????

I said AROUND HERE, WHERE I LIVE.

Geez man.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
MAN can you READ????????????

I said AROUND HERE, WHERE I LIVE.

Geez man.
Plain as day thank you very little! You said around "here", wich could mean ls1 tech, alaska, outerspace... It's obvious you knew that since you added "where I live". You might of made that clear in a previous post i missed, if so my bad. I was not even trying to make a big deal about it. To be honest, Im glad to hear your lt1 is whippin most ls1 cars in your area!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
8 Second Club

Threads like this are what will kill the LT1 popularity. Good job guys...keep it up.

Quick Reply: Where did they all go?