LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

first fire 383 lt1 issues.... idleing mostely

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IAC should be around 30-35. What kinda timing are you running at idle and what's the MAP reading at idle?
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'll get some data next time i'm over there.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
what brand of throttle body? i didnt have to do it for my performance parts 58mm.
I'm idling a huge cam with no drilled holes, there is no reason to be drilling holes in throttle blades. Your problem is probably in the tune, most mail order tunes are decent up top and driving but do require idle tweaking.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else read that he is disconnecting the battery every night after he lets it run for a bit. When you do this, you are re-setting the tune and every time you hook it back up, the car must re-learn the tune/idle. Leave the battery hooked up and start it/let it run a few times. I bet after 5 or so cycles it will start to idle smoother. Same thing happened to me when I fired up my new motor, wouldn't idle by the 3rd start it was starting to idle around 750. The IAC counts may also be messing it up, but try leaving the battery hooked up.

Bill
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
I'm idling a huge cam with no drilled holes, there is no reason to be drilling holes in throttle blades. Your problem is probably in the tune, most mail order tunes are decent up top and driving but do require idle tweaking.
not the butterflys:

http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/index.html
http://members.***.net/chipsbyal/page/idle/tbi.htm

Originally Posted by x Wild Bill x
Anyone else read that he is disconnecting the battery every night after he lets it run for a bit. When you do this, you are re-setting the tune and every time you hook it back up, the car must re-learn the tune/idle. Leave the battery hooked up and start it/let it run a few times. I bet after 5 or so cycles it will start to idle smoother. Same thing happened to me when I fired up my new motor, wouldn't idle by the 3rd start it was starting to idle around 750. The IAC counts may also be messing it up, but try leaving the battery hooked up.

Bill
good point. i said it might have to learn the fuel tables. didn't think about him pulling the battery every night though.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
don't you have a monoblade? drilling holes is the same as cracking the blades.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok guys i have it disconnected tonight... but im not working on it... so next time im working on it ill leave it connected... i thought this might be an issue... just dont want the batt to die because the car isnt drivable yet.... but o well... haha ill just charge it if need be... and yes sweetbmxrider is my "tech" guy so next time hes over with his scanner ill get some the data you guys asked for... thanks for all the help guys ill keep you posted on whats going on!
Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Did you check the continuum transfunctioner?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

its disabled. it has a stage 2.2 platinum manifold overduty cyclone module. supposedly better gas mileage
Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transmaro93
trying to run it open headers (maybe o2 sensors are reading wrong?)
I know it is not in closed loop when you start it up, but this is not good for readings when you get there.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Also, if you are afraid of draining the battery because you just re-wired it, there is no way it should die over night. 3-4 days maybe, but you would have to have the radio stay on all the time to kill it that quick. But regardless, if you want, you can pull the accessory and few other fuses that are not associated with the computer if you want to be sure. Then to be really sure, you can go under the dash and pull the relays. This will allow you to let it sit with the bat. hooked up and not worry about the battery dying every few days.

Bill
Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Transmaro, just wondering if you made any more progress on this. I just started up my own fresh rebuild and it won't idle either lol, also wont' rev much past 5K. I'm just curious if you found anything, I haven't dug deep into mine yet, but I will let you know if I find something.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

we got it running and idling, it warmed up and idled right around 900 like its tuned for.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
we got it running and idling, it warmed up and idled right around 900 like its tuned for.
What did you do you different to get it to run right finally?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by transmaro93
any of you other guys with aftermarket 58mm TB's have to drill a hole for the IAC to work better... i was just sent a link from a guy on local board explaining this... anybody else do this?
...you are on the right path....104 on IAC counts is to high. If you crack the blades it will then mess with your TPS 9which is good at .65 vdc)...some say to slot the TPS holes if you crack TB blades to get IAC counts down (25-35 at idle).

My $02 is to do the drill mod. start with 1/8" hole and measure IAC counts. Drill in 1/64" incriments until it is right....11/64" is where I landed. BE CAREFULL AND DON'T DRILL TO BIG
Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEED#1
What did you do you different to get it to run right finally?
for the most part left the battery connected, hooked the exhaust up, and gave it a little bit of fresh gas. let it idle till it warmed up, checked everything out and it looked pretty good. it definitely needs to drive around some but for now its going good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bIuK5HRao yum!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i couldnt find this thread when i looked for it.... haha.. it was running pretty good as you can see it cleared up in the second part of the video... itll be sometime yet before i can actual drive it so i wont know how it handles onthe road... but for now it idles so im happy... i think my IAC count was like 130... right adam?... anyways i gots lots of work to do and im trying to get it done so i can drive the car again... i did have to slot my tps sensor even without cracking the TB blades, but i broke one of the ears off in the process so it works for now but before i drive it ill replace it... thanks for all the help guys...

Quick Reply: first fire 383 lt1 issues.... idleing mostely